• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

4r70w or c4???

TheFlex

Loc.
Edmonton, Alberta
I dont know much about the C4 but I can tell you that the 4R70W is an awesome transmission for a Bronco if you have the $500 to spend on the baumannator controller you'll need.

Advantages:
- completely programmable shift points
- adjustable line pressure (smoother or harsher shifts)
- manual locking torque converter for hill descents (engine braking)
- overdrive
- 2 shift tables (i.e. flip the switch for sport mode)
- overdrive cancel
- set your lockup torque converter to auto/off/on

disadvantages:
- cost
- extra computer component that could break
- if you're not fuel injected, you'll have to retrofit a TPS which I found to be a pain (once you go fuel injected you just tap into the TPS on the throttle body)

I haven't heard of anyone having trouble with their computer. The transmission still works without th computer. I forget which gears are available with a computer failure. Pretty sure 1st and reverse at the very least.

do it and dont look back.

edit: just spend the extra $100 for the harness from baumann

Gentleman,

The 4R70W is the way to go for all the above mentioned reasons. The Baumannator or TCS, however, is no longer produced or sold. The new controller is the Optishift www.optishift.com.

I posted a group buy on the suggestion of another member (Marco Flores) but it is not active yet. In essence, I have talked Karl at Baumann into offering a $150 price break from $610 US with the appropriate harness to $460 currently with 6 buyers. If enough people come on board, I will approach Karl for a further price break as he started at $510 for 3 buyers.

Other threads where I have posted the GB where I am a member if someone wished to backtrack. There are 3 or 4 others as well.

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=130188

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115037

kholding, I picked up a 2000 26K mile 4r70W on Ebay from MPSAutoSalvage for $230. From 1999 on, they are considered bullet proof to 500 hp.

Amac70

ME
bought my optishift about a month or two ago, before the price went up, can't wait to finish installing. needs to stop raining. but back to the gearing i ran a zf for years and 4.56 and 35's just didn't feel very good down the highway. granted im from oregon speed limit is 55 so 55-65 you just are not high enough in the rpm range to feel like you have any power. at 65 im right about 2100rpm. now changing from a 302 to a 351 made a huge difference, but i think swaping to 4.88 will make it drive about perfect for me. raise the rpms a little and not feel like i have to downshift everytime traffic slows to 50.

bronco loco

It never ends
Loc.
Long Island New York
bought my optishift about a month or two ago, before the price went up, can't wait to finish installing. needs to stop raining. but back to the gearing i ran a zf for years and 4.56 and 35's just didn't feel very good down the highway. granted im from oregon speed limit is 55 so 55-65 you just are not high enough in the rpm range to feel like you have any power. at 65 im right about 2100rpm. now changing from a 302 to a 351 made a huge difference, but i think swaping to 4.88 will make it drive about perfect for me. raise the rpms a little and not feel like i have to downshift everytime traffic slows to 50.

How did the holley tps work out?, I will be using it with the TA Holley 470

SWFLABRONCO

Loc.
Cape Coral, Fl
The two transmissions are not even in the same league. Like a previous post had mentioned, do it right the first time. I too started with a C4 when I did my frame off and it took me two trips to work in it to decide that the C4 was not going to cut it. Yes it does cost more to do the 4r70w swap but the benefits far outweigh the cost if you can budget it. I've been running mine with the new optishift for about 6-8 weeks now and I'll never regret the money spent. Some things are just worth spending money on and this swap is one of them. With the C4 it drove like a Pinto and with the 4r70w it drives as much like a modern truck as an old Bronco can.

Amac70

ME
How did the holley tps work out?, I will be using it with the TA Holley 470

haven't got that far, tranny is in and mounted up, but I had to start working 7 days a week again. now the rain is here, until the rain stops im dead in the water.

DanWheeler

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kirkland, WA
From 1999 on, they are considered bullet proof to 500 hp.

that is good to hear. I always wondered if I'd be able to put in a 351 without killing the transmission.

Does Ford still use the 4R70W in new trucks? What does the Explorer 5.0 use these days?

hopefully there are enough Explorer 5.0s out there to supply us with 4R70Ws and aftermarket support for years to come.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Yes, they still use the 4R70W. Even seen it in 1-tons behind the 5.4 (although it is the 4R75W and the gearset uses hardened gears for that application otherwise the same).

I ran one for years behind a nicely worked over 351 (11:1 compression, aluminium heads, etc.) and it was happy as could be.

Ford has not made a 5.0 Explorer since '01. The supply should last for several more years. I would not worry about running out of transmissions as they were also used in Mustangs and trucks (3.8 and 4.2 V6 uses the correct case for the windsor V8 family).

DanWheeler

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kirkland, WA
hmm, if i'd known the 4R75 was a better trans and works with the Baumannator (now optishift) I would have used a 4R75.

is there any reason to not use a 4R75?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
...is there any reason to not use a 4R75?

Because they only come in the modular bolt pattern.

You would need a Windsor 2-bolt transmission case, then find a 3-bolt modular trans (from behind only the 5.4, not the 4.6) get the guts and swap them over. And that will get you almost no gain what so ever. If you tow, pull miles long grades at full throttle day in and day out, then you may see a little advantage in the hardened gears. But they are not needed for a Bronco application. The tow rig pulling the Bronco, then you may consider it.

rjrobin2002

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I thought 1 tons used the 4r100? That is what my 2001 has. 221,000 miles and still holding strong.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I thought 1 tons used the 4r100? That is what my 2001 has. 221,000 miles and still holding strong.

Have an '08 E350 van at work with the 4R75 in it. That is a one ton. And it has the 5.4 too. Also seen plenty of F150 5.4 with the 4R75 as well. Can't tell the difference from the outside.

My friend has an '00 or '01 Expedition and they originally came with the 4R100 with the 5.4, but later changed to the 4R75 a few years later, except some super heavy tow option or something like that. I forget all the little details over the later years of products I have no intention of really using any parts from nor owning. Pay only enough attention to what I have to deal with at work or on friends rigs.

HGM

Loc.
Senoia, Ga.
I believe your both right.. In the Super Duty, the 5.4L should have the 4R100 variant behind it. But, the Econoline is a bit of a different animal and it is quite possible to find the lighter duty 4R75W in it.. On the 150, its possible, but I'd be surprised to find the 75 behind a 5.4L 4x4, maybe the 4x2 though..

rjrobin2002

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Mine is actualy a 2001 f-150 "7700" series with 7 lug rims. 4r100 trans and 10.25" rear end. Maybe it will be worth millions one day it is so wierd.

Ethansdad73

Bronco Guru
Now the 4R70W parts into an AOD. Yes it can be done. Gets you 2/3's of the way to a 4R70W. Costwise it comes in nearly the same as you now need 2 transmissions to start with and rebult one with half the parts from the other. It will get you some of the benifits of the 4R70W (wider band, gears, mechanical diode) but you still won't get some of the better aspects of the 4R70. You can't control the lock up of the converter, you can't dial in each of the shifts, you can't hold 2nd gear (without another costly upgrade to a new custom valve body). So there are several limitations to doing the reworked AOD.

sorry to hijack a bit

Please expand on this a bit.. If i stay with an auto vs manual I am torn still between a auto (aod or 4r70w) mainly as i want to have a manual valvebody and strength with no electronics and from i have read the aod just dont got it in the strength department. Reason for the manual valvebody is i have a c4 now and shift it, i have all the automatics i have owned dont know why...

currently have:
302, dana 20, 350 gearing and 31's
will be upgrading to
351 , dana 20 4.56-4.88 and 35's

Todd Foss

Have 4r70w with a manual valve body and love it. Had AOD, 4r70w is much nicer, just sayin'.