• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

5.0 Cooling PLZ Help

kurtboyd

Contributor
Loc.
Cave Creek, AZ
What are you guys using to cool your Explorer motors and 4r70w transmissions? Looking at for aluminum 3 core crossflow with shroud. Need reversed inlet/outlet.

Last edited:

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
I'm running an efi'd 302 with an AOD and use the stock Bronco radiator without any cooling issues. For the AOD I'm running the biggest Derale cooler with an electric cooling fan under the passenger side floor, it cools decent 95% of the time, but it tends to run hot on the freeway if I'm running with torque converter unlocked. I'm planning to add an additional cooler under the radiator sort of Stroppe style.

From everything I've ever heard and seen personally I would shy away from the aluminum radiator's, it's not a matter of if they'll leak it's a matter of 'when'! I know a few Bronco's that are on their second and third aluminum radiators in 4-6 years! My stocker was recored in 2005 and still works like a champ.

OP
OP
kurtboyd

kurtboyd

Contributor
Loc.
Cave Creek, AZ
Thanks for the info. My goal, if possible, is to consolidate as much as possible to save on space.

rjrobin2002

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'm running an efi'd 302 with an AOD and use the stock Bronco radiator without any cooling issues. For the AOD I'm running the biggest Derale cooler with an electric cooling fan under the passenger side floor, it cools decent 95% of the time, but it tends to run hot on the freeway if I'm running with torque converter unlocked. I'm planning to add an additional cooler under the radiator sort of Stroppe style.

From everything I've ever heard and seen personally I would shy away from the aluminum radiator's, it's not a matter of if they'll leak it's a matter of 'when'! I know a few Bronco's that are on their second and third aluminum radiators in 4-6 years! My stocker was recored in 2005 and still works like a champ.

Are you using a stock auto radiator with built in cooler and the Derale or a stock manual radiator with only the Derale cooler. Why didnt you mount the Derale it in front of the radiator?

kc15842

Loc.
Lake Elsinore, Ca
When you say running hot on the freeway, what is hot? I'm running a 5.0 with an AOD, stock EB radiator with a B&M external cooler mounted in the front of the truck. Max temp (so far) on the freeway is about 200-210. Low gear wheeling about 220.

blazinchuck

Bronco Guru
running a 91 5.0 HO/np435...no cooling issues. i have a stock radiator(no shroud-using BCB hard fan), motor stock

OP
OP
kurtboyd

kurtboyd

Contributor
Loc.
Cave Creek, AZ
Still looking for advice on this. I want to go with a cross-flow 3 core radiator with with a fan shroud. Would like to source one with reversed inlet/outlet. Anyone help is much appreciated.

KRAWLER

Loc.
Southwest VA
I was running the original 302 steel fan with adapters i made to bolt to the serp, with a Jegs Aluminum radiator. One i first got it all set-up i overheated everywhere. Dumb me realized i had the fan on backwards. Once fan was back on right, i can crawl for hours and never hit 200. Not running any shroud either.