• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

'66 Only Options/Specs

BoureeOne

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Madisonville, La
I think the point kind of got missed. It does not really matter if items were 66 "only" or 66/67. You would include all of them if they were found on a 66. His goal is to take it back to original. So he needs everything that is found on a 66, not just those things that are 66 only...

twisted 66

Contributor
Loc.
Norcal-Tracy
I think one of the biggest things in debate on the 66 is the rear view mirror. It is in a licensed ford document that I saw years ago and it showed a mirror that is glued to the glass was a option. The picture shows a stubby ball stem on both the piece that glues to the windshield and on the mirror itself. They are attached by a cylinder shaped rod that separates out and clamped by screws. Not the best description of it but it can give an idea. Intact it also shows it in the 66-70 bronco body and interior red covered book bronco places sells.

66Bronco

1967 Sport Broncos have cool unique dash chrome and the dash knobs have a slightly pointed chrome center (different than the '68s).

-Terry

hightime

How about the eyebrow grill? I have a Jan '66 build the doesn't. When did it change?

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
I've come to the conclusion that a '66 without that "eyes brow" grille would be mo rarer!;)

OP
OP

'66U14

Is the rear-view mirror on the windshield the same as found in Ford trucks, Falcons, etc.? I've seen 'em on ebay, and they look identical, just wondering if the mounting holes are different.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Few more simple ones...
Metal air box
Single reservoir master cylinder with fluid pressure switch instead of pedal mounted brake light switch
The I6 has an oil bath oil filter that will not clear newer twin master cylinders.
The hood has different cross bracing.

eaglenest66

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Is the rear-view mirror on the windshield the same as found in Ford trucks, Falcons, etc.? I've seen 'em on ebay, and they look identical, just wondering if the mounting holes are different.

The heads are the same. The mounting hardware is different though. Usually a triangular three hole base for the Ford trucks and cars, two hole flat base for the broncos.

eaglenest66

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Few more simple ones...
Metal air box
Single reservoir master cylinder with fluid pressure switch instead of pedal mounted brake light switch
The I6 has an oil bath oil filter that will not clear newer twin master cylinders.
The hood has different cross bracing.

The metal airbox that everyone thinks is standard for the '66 is usually only found on the early '66 broncos along with the eyebrow grill. Typically after October or November, the standard flat (non-eyebrow) grill and plastic side airbox are the norm.

As for the oil bath aircleaner, '67 six cylinders were also outfitted with the same cleaner and had double reservoir master brake cylinders.

Cross bracing for the early '66 hoods is also unique compared to the later '66 models. Early hoods have one cross/one front to back with four "y"s compared to two cross braces with only two "y" bracing. See pics.

Attachments

• get-attachment-5.aspx.jpeg
    get-attachment-5.aspx.jpeg
    134.2 KB · Views: 180
  • get-attachment-12.aspx.jpeg
    get-attachment-12.aspx.jpeg
    45.2 KB · Views: 168

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I recall that there were people looking for a fit solution for the original oil bath air filter on the '66 when they fitted a duel chamber master cylinder. Thus I will say the '66 air filter is going to be slightly different then the '67 oil bath air filter.

BROwN COw

some info from an article in BDM #1:

The first models were available only
with a 105 hp 170 ci six cylinder
derived from Ford’s Falcon lineup. The
only available transmission was Ford’s
3.03 three speed manual with a column
mounted shifter. Transmission ratios
behind the six cylinder were: 3.41:1
first, 1.86:1 second,and 1:1 third. When
the 289 V8 option was introduced in
March 1966, the three speed manual
behind it had ratios of: 2.99:1 first, 1.46
second,and 1:1 third. The transfer case
was a Bronco specific Dana 20 with a
low range ratio of 2.46:1. Unique to the
models was a tall shifter with a shift
pattern matching that of the T-handle
shifter, but with a J- handle style ball
mounted on top. Most ‘66s also had rear
shock absorbers that angled forward in
front of the axle with stud mounts at the
top instead of the later rear-canted eye
mount shocks. The Bronco, with a 92
inch wheelbase was offered in wagon,
half cab, and roadster configurations.
The roadster option was not very popular
and was discontinued after 1968.
Standard brakes were 11 x 2” front
drums and 10 x 2.5” drums on the rear
on the small bearing(2780 lb.) axle and
11 x 1.75” drums on the large bearing(
3300 lb.) axle. All Broncos
employed a Ford 9” rear axle and until
1971, a Dana 30 front axle rated at
2,500 lb. Axle ratios were 3.50:1, 4.11:1
and 4.57:1(6 cyl. only). The standard
gas tank held 14.5 gallon with an
optional 11.5 gallon second tank available.
Options for ‘66 (including dealer
installed accessories) included: Warn
free wheeling hubs, snow plow kits,
winches, tachometers, Air Lift front
auxiliary springs, trailer hitches, tow
hooks, etc. Most of the options and
many others were included through the
Bronco’s twelve year run.
Production for the 1966 year totalled
18,200 units.
1967: The Sport Package was introduced
in 1967. This package included
bright finished horn ring, windshield
drip, head and taillamp bezels, side window
frames, instrument panel trim and
tailgate handle, cigar lighter, chromeplated
grille, bumpers and front guards,
red die cast F-O-R-D letters appliqued
to the grille, and 15” wheel covers. A
bright trimmed hardboard headlining
and vinyl floor mat were also added to
the Sport Wagon. A dual master cylinder
with a split hydraulic system and selfadjusting
brakes was also new.
Back-up lights were now standard and
an 11.5 gallon auxiliary fuel tank option
was available.
16,100 Broncos were built in 1967.

66Bronco

Getting back to the original post. If a person wanted their '66 Bronco to be "totally" original you'd first want to look at when the Bronco was built. Then figure out what '66 unique items applied to the vehicle with that build date.

Early builds (in '65) had some differences and I believe that a lot changed when Ford introduced the 289 V8 into the Bronco in March of 1966.

When I was doing the research for my '66 Bronco Roadster restoration I used as much of the Ford materials I could my hands on. One of the source documentation I used was the Ford Parts manual. As I recall, the Ford Parts manual showed two rear view mirrors for the '66 Bronco, one was the glued on mirror and the other was a frame mounted mirror identified as an accessory. I also believe the Osborne (sp?) manual, showing actual Ford build diagrams, showed the glued on mirror.

-Terry

66Uncut

Contributor
Cross bracing for the early '66 hoods is also unique compared to the later '66 models. Early hoods have one cross/one front to back with four "y"s compared to two cross braces with only two "y" bracing. See pics.

There's a post somewhere on here that shows like 3 or 4 different hood/bracing configurations. My hood has the two horizontal crossbars and the V braces but lacks the vertical bracing.

These 66's are a strange breed :D

Picture__2013-01-06_at_11_32_25_PM.png

OP
OP

'66U14

Build date is mid-September of '65, if that helps at all. Yeah, I want this thing to be COMPLETELY original.

El Kabong

Contributor
Driving stuff Henry built
Isn't the VIN tag in a different location in the early years?