• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

68 custom in NM: Build Thread *** Lot's O' Photos***

OP
OP
GraficO

GraficO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Albuquerque, NM
ok...short preview... dust everywhere... so pardon the mess.

Attachments

• IMG_0088_WR.jpg
    IMG_0088_WR.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 432
  • IMG_0090_WR.jpg
    IMG_0090_WR.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 407
  • IMG_0091_WR.jpg
    IMG_0091_WR.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 646
  • IMG_0092_WR.jpg
    IMG_0092_WR.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 444
  • IMG_0094_WR.jpg
    IMG_0094_WR.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 612
  • IMG_0096_WR.jpg
    IMG_0096_WR.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 459
  • IMG_0097_WR.jpg
    IMG_0097_WR.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 448
OP
OP
GraficO

GraficO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Albuquerque, NM
it will bolt to the floor and will be locked down by the dash.

The flash of the camera brings up and highlights all the dust... can't wait to detail 'er out when it's time to start her up ;)

My engine builder says that I should be able to get it in the shop at the end of the week.

Even though you can't tell because of the dust... those pedal arms are chromed ;)

OP
OP
GraficO

GraficO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Albuquerque, NM
well... it was removed to custom fit the console and also because I don't like the padding on the back of the firewall cover... so I'm about to peel off all the horsehair crap on the PVC and replace it with something a little less bulky... I already have 2 layers of Fat Mat... so some mylar foam will do the trick nicely! :)

ILikeBond

You really need to sell the design of that console to one of the big shops so the rest of us can get our grubby paws on one. Looks stock, and way better than the standard tuffy box. Nice job.

(fwiw, it'd have to be modified some for a manual, obviously... right?)

Last edited:
OP
OP
GraficO

GraficO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Albuquerque, NM
I appreciate that Bond. If I can develop a plug or a set of plugs that are styled for different shifter setups... Then I'd be able to produce more than just one. There are some tech issues to solve in making a production standard console. If I got that sorted they would be easier to mass produce at the quality level/pricepoint to make it worthwhile.

This one is for a 3 speed on the floor but could be adapted for an auto-shifter easy.

ILikeBond

Oh, my bad - from the pictures I thought it looked too straight and narrow to house a stick - figured it was auto. Cool...

72_EB

Contributor
66to77
Yeah, I sure hope that the console would be something we'd see at one of the vendors some day. It came out SO nice and really is a great solution to the lack of real estate on the stock dash. I've been dreaming of double DIN nav screen in my rig someday, but it is way tight without some sort of console. I think if priced right these would sell like hotcakes!
Maybe Terra Comp would be interested in producing them? A steel one from Protofab would be WAY durable and would allow custom cutting for individual needs. Tuffy would be the bomb, but I think the end product might be more than the average Bronco owner could afford. Just throwing some ideas out there. I'd LOVE LOVE LOVE one of these. Great job and congrats on getting closer to the finish line. Awesome build. :)

OP
OP
GraficO

GraficO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Albuquerque, NM
the major issue I see with producing these is the different shifter setups. Especially with the t-case. I'm making my rig go to a cable shift on the D20... but I don't have access to multiple rigs with NP435, 3speed, auto C4, J-shift, T-shift combos... so making patterns to fit would be a real pain.

As far as the layup... I have a shop that can do that... I just have to provide them with a plug or two that is somewhat universal and then make different top plates for the various combinations of shifter styles.

I learned a lot from building mine and could do it much faster now that I understand some of the pitfalls. Making them cost effective and purchasable by the average Bronco Owner is the next thing. Steel like a Tuffy is an option but any sheet metal shop would bend me over twice and require a certain number of units to start... I learned that the hard way on another little product I have in the works. The prototype alone for this little jobber was over $300... and that was FOR ONE finished piece.

I'm thinking about it... hang ten... ya never know what I might come up with. I think I need to come to a major Bronco gathering and take a bunch of measurements of different setups.

I did start planning a full fiberglass console and dash combo awhile back... 2 pieces but contoured more like a modern vehicle that fit together and using modern gages... that one would be totally out of reach though for the average driver...

72_EB

Contributor
66to77
What about simply making the shifter plate solid and giving each person the ability to cut according to their setup?
What size are the cupholders? 3 1/2"? A date with a hole saw would solve that issue for folks and individuals with the aftermarket manual setup might want to move the cups around or eliminate.
I think the majority of buyers would probably be the daily driver crowd anyway, so I'd think you'd be looking at more C4s with column shifters (or cable driven floors shifters - easily moved around). I could be totally wrong, but I don't think a lot of NP435 folks would be want to mess around with it anyway. The NV3550 crowd might, but those shifters come up in the center of the tunnel (not a big deal). I don't think those that have floor mounted 3 speeds are going to mess with it either.
But again, I love the whole concept. It reminds me a lot of the early Mustang center consoles with a new spin on it, and again, can we ever have too many storage options in these little trucks?

bighorn

I actually think that if you made the top plate solid that would work for most of your actual end users. The shifters and cup holders could be cut wherever needed in that scenario. In fact, I would prefer to cut my own holes, as I am taller . There are so many variantions out there (manual, autos, stak, atlas, np205's) that you could drive yourself crazy trying to make them all fit. NP435 users proably could use it with the addition of a Gearbanger, but I agree that most buyers are proably the DD crowd with autos.

I'd buy one in a heartbeat, with a solid top.

ned72

Loc.
Truckee
I just went through this whole build thread and it was so fricken sweet. I love your console and I want one. more photos please

OP
OP
GraficO

GraficO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Albuquerque, NM
it's all about angles...

Dimensions for a DIN or double DIN radio in comparison to where the center of the dash and the placement of any brand of t-case shifter is quite a trick to pull off without wandering into the passenger side body space.

My preference is to come up with a semi-universal console that can be adapted with different stainless top plates for different configs.

While I like the idea of giving people a blank slate to cut holes on their own... I'm a bit of a perfectionist where I'd rather sell something that people can just bolt in and go drive it... rather than fabricating a something that should have been done in the first place.

For those with column shifters... it's easier... but there is still the conundrum of horizontal spacing with the t-case shifter...

I'll figure it out... just have to be smart about it

OP
OP
GraficO

GraficO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Albuquerque, NM
thank you Ned... I really do appreciate all the great comments and kudos people write on this thread! Keep em coming!

Last edited: