• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

69 Bronco Instrument Cluster issue

Cevy

I have a 1969 bronco and the instrument cluster, specifically the Fuel, Temp, and Oil arent working. Ive read other post that mention they are controlled by the Instrument Voltage Regulator. I have a new IVR coming, but not sure that will fix my issue as this will be my second IVR. My issue is that im getting 12v to the IVR, but when the IVR is attached to the back of the instrument cluster with the screw, my guages wont work, but when i remove the IVR from the cluster but keep the wire plugged into it, my gauges pin to the right.

Okie69

Contributor
You don’t want to apply power to the ICVR without it attached to the cluster. It gets ground through the case. I would try it again with the new one and put it all back together before hooking your battery back up.

OP
OP
Cevy

Cevy

You don’t want to apply power to the ICVR without it attached to the cluster. It gets ground through the case. I would try it again with the new one and put it all back together before hooking your battery back up.
thank you so much for the reply! So the new one came in, unhooked the battery, removed the old one, installed the new one and still no go. know what else may be causing this? i cant imagine ALL the gauges are bad... Ive checked all the fuses, unplugged and replugged the wires including the ones with the harnesses, and no luck... the Ammeter seems to work fine..

Gsxr7000

Contributor
Is it always a must to unplug the ICVR ? I just installed one and didn't. Gauges not working going to try a ground strap to make sure it's grounded well.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
No it’s not. As long as the ignition switch is not turned to ON or ACC there is no power being applied to the ICVR.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
So the new one came in, unhooked the battery, removed the old one, installed the new one and still no go.
Are you using the original electromechanical style, or the modern electronic versions?
Either way, are you verifying the power coming out of the regulator? You said you had power going in, so you know that the ignition switch and wire are good.
But have you checked the power coming out?
i cant imagine ALL the gauges are bad...
usually not… But it’s not impossible either. And it’s also not impossible for you to have bad sending units at all three locations.
Have you tested anything else?
Ive checked all the fuses, unplugged and replugged the wires including the ones with the harnesses, and no luck...
No fuses involved here. But with these old trucks it’s never a bad idea to check them anyway.
Taking them out and cleaning things in the fuse panel almost always makes things work better.
the Ammeter seems to work fine..
That’s good news, but it’s on a completely different circuit so is unrelated to the other three gauges.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I have a 1969 bronco and the instrument cluster, specifically the Fuel, Temp, and Oil arent working. Ive read other post that mention they are controlled by the Instrument Voltage Regulator. I have a new IVR coming, but not sure that will fix my issue as this will be my second IVR. My issue is that im getting 12v to the IVR, but when the IVR is attached to the back of the instrument cluster with the screw, my guages wont work, but when i remove the IVR from the cluster but keep the wire plugged into it, my gauges pin to the right.
It sounds like the gauges are working as they should. You should use an ohmmeter and see what the senders are saying.