• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

'69 - Front Sway Bar

AGShelby

Loc.
San Antonio, Texas
My truck has a stock-appearing front sway bar, which ties the two radius arms together.

I have been told by 3 dealers that this is aftermarket - and there are no front sway bars on early broncos.

Should I replace it, or just leave it off?

OP
OP
A

AGShelby

Loc.
San Antonio, Texas
Sway Bare

http://broncograveyard.com/images/catalog/SPRDIA76FRONTSUSP.JPG

Here's a picture of the stock '76-'77 Bronco sway bar.

Mine looks nothing like that - I guess it is just a rigged piece. The rubber on mine is like charcoal (like every piece of original rubber on the truck before I started on it) - so I had incorrectly assumed it was a stock unit.

It did not attach to the front axle at all, It was just tied to the radius arms in two places, and crossed under the transmission.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Dont believe sway bars were even offered as a option in 69 later years it could be ordered and some were dealer installed. It seams that you have a aftermarket piece. As for keeping it or taking it off its up to you I've never noticed that much sway in a stock height bronco to really even consider having a sway bar.

mgreen11

Loc.
San Marcos, CA
They didn't become available on the Bronco until 76 and 77. That's when they went to the inverted 'y' setup on the front.

Mine still have the mounts on the diff, the rest is long gone.

Mike

Robert_L

Loc.
South Coast, OR.
Sounds like a Hellwig anti-sway system. I had one on my 69 that the PO had installed for pulling a small military trailer he used when elk hunting. He claimed it helped him on the curves with the trailer. Is yours made out of 1 1/8 in or thereabouts round stock?

I took mine off because at the time I had nothing to pull and it looked like it would limit flex. It also was missing one of the bushings. Later I thought I might pull my drift boat with the Bronc and called Hellwig for a replacement bushing. One of the techs at Hellwig had to look back in the archives to find what I was talking about, got back to me and sent me four new polyurethane bushings at no charge. Thought it was cool of them.

best to ya!
Robert

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If Hellwig doesn't have the bushings anymore, I might still have my hardware kit for the bar you could have.
Knew it would come in handy someday. Just didn't know for who.
Now, where did I bury it...

Paul

NicksTrix

Bronco Guru
Hickey had sway bars for them back in the 70's. they did a good job of binding the supension up. my 71 had one along with the steering retrun springs discussed a few weeks ago.

green77bronco

Loc.
SAn Antonio,TX
I just took off the stock sway bar off my '77. I have an 3 1/2 inch WH lift and a 2 inch body. It made a big differance on road with body roll, and off road with limiting travel. I am planning to keep it off.

Rick

OP
OP
A

AGShelby

Loc.
San Antonio, Texas
Sway Bar - I will leave it off

Thanks for the replies. I am going to leave it off for now - and see how it handles.

I don't think I will be doing many high-speed corners in the truck....will leave that to the lowered mustang.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
...my 71 had one along with the steering retrun springs discussed a few weeks ago.

I missed that thread. I'll have to check it out though. Got one of those spring kits still in the box sitting in the garage somewhere. Along with a pair of those old sunscreens that were clipped to the back-side windows to keep the interior cool for those Baja trips all Bronco owners were supposed to take. Or just those LA summers.

Paul