• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1969’s build thread

OP
OP

Contributor
More work on the Explorer serpentine conversion. I went with a Cloyes Street True Roller Timing Set, p/n 9-1138. The Harmonic Balancer from Dampnerdudes is also really nice. Currently waiting on the passenger side bracket to come back from powder coat, and I’ll be ordering the Wild Horses Saginaw conversion bracket to finish it off. Everything has gone fairly smooth during this conversion.

IMG_4375.jpeg

IMG_4357.jpeg

OP
OP

Contributor
I installed the Explorer serpentine Saginaw conversion bracket from Wild Horses. The bolts it came with were one size too big for the bolt holes on my head. Popped over to the hardware store and got the correct bolts and it went on no problem. Very nice bracket!

IMG_4411.jpeg

OP
OP

Contributor
I got the passenger side bracket back from powder coat today. It’s coming together!

IMG_4530.jpeg

And the stock lower pulley should clear no problem.

IMG_4531.jpeg

Last edited:

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Make sure you run a robust ground cable between the alternator body (one of the mounting bolts is most convenient) and the engine. Or a common grounding area that the engine is grounded to.
And of course, make sure that grounding the engine to the body is a prime part of your grounding theme.

With all the painting and powder coating going on, I'd just make sure that bonding everything (or at least most things) together is a good practice. Because they're no longer going to be contacting at normally conducting surfaces.
Presumably the body is going to paint at some point too? If so, it becomes just as necessary sometimes, to bond body panels together with extra straps or wires, to make sure that they are all part of the system.
After all, it doesn't do you any good to ground the headlights and turn signals to the core support, when it's no longer getting good contact with the rest of the body. Especially the few grounded panels that there normally are.
Keep it in mind when welding any new panels, or painting any old ones, where they need a good connection. Like the windshield frame, as another example.

Paul

OP
OP

Contributor
Make sure you run a robust ground cable between the alternator body (one of the mounting bolts is most convenient) and the engine. Or a common grounding area that the engine is grounded to.
And of course, make sure that grounding the engine to the body is a prime part of your grounding theme.

With all the painting and powder coating going on, I'd just make sure that bonding everything (or at least most things) together is a good practice. Because they're no longer going to be contacting at normally conducting surfaces.
Presumably the body is going to paint at some point too? If so, it becomes just as necessary sometimes, to bond body panels together with extra straps or wires, to make sure that they are all part of the system.
After all, it doesn't do you any good to ground the headlights and turn signals to the core support, when it's no longer getting good contact with the rest of the body. Especially the few grounded panels that there normally are.
Keep it in mind when welding any new panels, or painting any old ones, where they need a good connection. Like the windshield frame, as another example.

Paul

Thank you for the information Paul. It’s always appreciated. I’ll have to revisit this when I get to doing a new wiring harness. The body won’t be going to paint, I want to keep it looking old and original for as long as possible. The only body work will be fixing the floor pans and firewall so I’m not flint stoning it.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Thank you for the information Paul. It’s always appreciated. I’ll have to revisit this when I get to doing a new wiring harness. The body won’t be going to paint, I want to keep it looking old and original for as long as possible. The only body work will be fixing the floor pans and firewall so I’m not flint stoning it.
let the body tell the story of its history :)