• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

74 EB Sandrunner under development

OP
OP
sstlaure

sstlaure

Bronco Slacker
Off the market - I'm keeping her - I'll be tearing out the inside rear cage and reworking it into a 4-seater (vs 3-seater) and will make my own rear suspension to keep 16" travel but will keep the shocks completely under the floorboards. Stay tuned ;)

SSDDBRONCO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Los Angeles
Off the market - I'm keeping her - I'll be tearing out the inside rear cage and reworking it into a 4-seater (vs 3-seater) and will make my own rear suspension to keep 16" travel but will keep the shocks completely under the floorboards. Stay tuned ;)

Awesome!! I'm glad your able to keep it and finish what you have been dreaming to build.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
sstlaure

sstlaure

Bronco Slacker
Probably won't get going until spring, but I want to get $3-4K worth of parts/work completed next year. I think I'm going to finish the drivetrain first so that I can get all fuel/electrical supports in-place prior to completing fabrication and paint.

Here is the style suspension I'll be designing/fabricating for the rear to get back to a 4-seater and keep the shocks out of the body tub.

attachment.php

Attachments

• cantilever rear suspension.jpg
    cantilever rear suspension.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 808
Last edited:

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Let me also add my congratulations on deciding to keep the beast - in the long run you won't regret it, I'm sure! Before I even saw the pic, I wondered if you'd do some sort of rocker setup to keep the shocks under the bed. Definitely needed in the Bronco world - I'll be looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Todd Z.

OP
OP
sstlaure

sstlaure

Bronco Slacker
Thanks - Nothing new....I keep going back and forth between selling it and finishing it. Tough to find the time to work on it these days....

Prizefighter

Bronco Guru
I know this Bronco is for sale now and you designed the suspension years ago but I have to ask why you didn't flip the shackles at the end of your rear leaf springs?

OP
OP
sstlaure

sstlaure

Bronco Slacker
I wasn't going for a huge lift and there wasn't any need to.

Prizefighter

Bronco Guru
I wasn't going for a huge lift and there wasn't any need to.

Wouldn't it provide more travel if flipped? The reason I'm asking is I want to do the same: extend the rear mount and use longer springs.

BTW if I could I would buy yours in a heartbeat. It is almost exactly what I am wanting and starting to build.

OP
OP
sstlaure

sstlaure

Bronco Slacker
Wouldn't it provide more travel if flipped? The reason I'm asking is I want to do the same: extend the rear mount and use longer springs.

BTW if I could I would buy yours in a heartbeat. It is almost exactly what I am wanting and starting to build.

It's got ~16" as is. Plenty for what I wanted.

You'll spend way more in parts than what I'm selling mine for....Arkansas isn't that far from Michigan. (Hell I drove to Utah and back to get this one - 54 hours round trip non-stop.)

OP
OP
sstlaure

sstlaure

Bronco Slacker
I should also note that I'm using rear leaf springs that are 12" longer than Bronco leaves and the shackle was moved rearward to accommodate the new length.

JefeAZ

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tucson
Not sure how I missed this thread. Hopefully this thing gets built, looks amazing! I love my Cobra too much to transplant the drivetrain but it would be a blast to drive!

BTW...the 99 long block will not support the boost from that Eaton. O John Coletti blew up several motors throwing rods through the block when he tested the Eaton on non-forged internals. He finally convinced Ford to beef up the internals. He went from $7 rods to $57 rods. Talked about in this book which is a great read: http://www.amazon.com/Iron-Fist-Lead-Foot-Terminator/dp/0595409709

Let me know what you're looking for in the way of parts. I have a spare Eaton I might get rid of but you would still need the upper intake, intercooler, heat exchanger, etc. I know lots of Cobra guys so I can probably track stuff down rather quickly for you. Actually a buddy of mine is going turbo this week on his but he removed his Kenne Bell for this:

10334327_803558613000572_2796939654719321160_n.jpg

OP
OP
sstlaure

sstlaure

Bronco Slacker
Not sure how I missed this thread. Hopefully this thing gets built, looks amazing! I love my Cobra too much to transplant the drivetrain but it would be a blast to drive!

BTW...the 99 long block will not support the boost from that Eaton. O John Coletti blew up several motors throwing rods through the block when he tested the Eaton on non-forged internals. He finally convinced Ford to beef up the internals. He went from $7 rods to $57 rods. Talked about in this book which is a great read: http://www.amazon.com/Iron-Fist-Lead-Foot-Terminator/dp/0595409709

Let me know what you're looking for in the way of parts. I have a spare Eaton I might get rid of but you would still need the upper intake, intercooler, heat exchanger, etc. I know lots of Cobra guys so I can probably track stuff down rather quickly for you. Actually a buddy of mine is going turbo this week on his but he removed his Kenne Bell for this:

10334327_803558613000572_2796939654719321160_n.jpg

Thanks jefe. I do have the upper intake and I believe the exchanger that goes inside.

Still up in the air about what I want to do with this thing. I don't have the time right now to work on it.

She's parked inside and is staying clean and rust free and maybe I'll get back to her. I may just finish it as a regular NA Cobra motor (can always upgrade later) to speed things up. My friend is working on a 30x60 outbuilding and he says I can move it down there once complete. I can hire him fairly inexpensively to work on it to keep the project moving - that may be what I end up doing.

Even if I want to sell it eventually - it's a lot easier to sell a running rig than a project. (And you seem to lose less on the transaction as well.)

Although she'd most likely be sold if someone made a decent offer.