• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

'75 cranks but won't turn over. Help I'm going crazy!

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Did you say you replaced the coil in the distributor? Did you put the screw back in that connects the system ground like in this diagram? That is the one and only ground for the module.
bda048ac0ac6f5ba44e60a2c77e7f2f5.jpg

OP
OP
B

bmflinchum

Loc.
Roanoke
I checked with on negative to the battery. Same reading. I did replace the internals of the distributor and yes I put that screw in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Ok. You have a problem with the ground. You might try to test it from the distributor connector to narrow down the location. If it's good there then the problem is between the distributor connector and the module connector.

Once you find and fix this you can swap the purple and black wires on the harness side of the module connector and use the 76+ module.

OP
OP
B

bmflinchum

Loc.
Roanoke
Ok. You have a problem with the ground. You might try to test it from the distributor connector to narrow down the location. If it's good there then the problem is between the distributor connector and the module connector.

Once you find and fix this you can swap the purple and black wires on the harness side of the module connector and use the 76+ module.

Ok I think I have it. I have good ground at distributor.
6d5837c677ba302ac5df0bae3fe75cec.jpg

So the wire from the distributor plug that goes through the firewall to the module is no good. When plugged in it will not read ground.

I tested the wire from one end to the other and got:
636af3092ed47315fab5a84b89c3c233.jpg

So if I fix the ground from distributor to module and flip the purple and black it should work?

Any suggestions on what to use to make the connections around the connectors?

I’m gonna owe Viper an adult beverage if this works!

Ben

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
That last meter reading says .5 ohm, which is good. If it is similar between the distributor connector and ground it should be good all the way through when the distributor is connected.

Don't use wire nuts. You can use good quality butt connectors if they are heat shrinkable or if you cover them with heat shrink tubing.

OP
OP
B

bmflinchum

Loc.
Roanoke
Viper I owe you one! Hank the Tank is now back in the garage under his own power. Timing is out of whack from where I’m sure I messed with the distributor. But that will be fixed soon.

9435ebae04069c11d37701cd8d17764f.jpg

8bc79da5db5512dd2a274073c485b029.jpg

472feb4568b721b4bd9a1eeb93d5cdc3.jpg

Don’t freak. I will clean up my connections.

Thanks to all - especially Viper.

Ben