• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

A little help with twin stick install

Razorbackbronco

I just got my duff j shift twin stick for my '76 and I cut my access hole and I see that the PO has already done some cutting to the shift rails. It still had the stock j shifter which im not sure how he made it work? They are independent of each other but from looking at other people's setup it looks like he has cut quite a bit of the flag off one of them.

What do you suggest I do? Do I need to cut anything? I'm sure I can figure it out but thought I would ask for some help from people who have done this before. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1379347732.867939.jpg

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I agree, I think the one has been cut too much. Looks like PO got started, then chickened out and stopped.

I remember one cut, straight down the middle, front to back direction. Been awhile though since doing this on the J-Shift.

Check with JB Fab (or your twin stick company) to see if they have directions for J-Shift Twin Stick Install.

Quick & Dirty

Looks unmolested to me.

To get all the possible ranges (front drive), cut all the overlaps off the flags, in a line even with the rear of the top one. This will allow crossing ranges, so be aware when shifting.

At a minimum, you'll have to cut the front overlap off the lower flag (front axle), so you can get 2 high. If you want 2 (rear) low, you'll have to cut the back of the lower flag.

tcasecut_zpsd256412f.jpg

Last edited:

Quick & Dirty

It still had the stock j shifter which im not sure how he made it work?

The top can't have an overlap on the rear, so the when the J-shifter is pushed over to the short side of the J, it can move only the front output to neutral for 2 high. An interlock "pill" prevents the front (lower) rail from going to low if the rear is in high.

tcase003_zps96315c1e.jpg

ScanmanSteven

Bronco Guru
If you look at the picture QuickandDirty posted and the red line he drew, thats what yours should look like before starting. The po must have modified it or started to.

So what you want to end up with are the two half circles, one for each shifter. Since it looks like that's not what you'll have, just weld half a washer on each side if needed.

Tram

Bronco Guru
Looks unmolested to me.

To get all the possible ranges (front drive), cut all the overlaps off the flags, in a line even with the rear of the top one. This will allow crossing ranges, so be aware when shifting.

At a minimum, you'll have to cut the front overlap off the lower flag (front axle), so you can get 2 high. If you want 2 (rear) low, you'll have to cut the back of the lower flag.

tcasecut_zpsd256412f.jpg

Ok, so if one were to cut right down the line here, you'll get crossing rangers and will be able to get 2 rear low?

lowbush

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Summerland Key, FL
It's best to use something with a thin blade, you can use a cutoff wheel but you have to be more exact with a cutoff wheel, a hacksaw gives you some do over metal if you need it.