• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Advice and Vin Decode help - I Got It !!

Ol'Blue

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Looked at this uncut '72? today. Has dealer installed PTO, bench seat with bulkhead but full top. Horrible paint job but little rust that I could find. Floorboards had some rust, inner fender wells and a little in bed area. Three on the tree. Says its got the original 289.

Vin tag says 72 but registration says 68. Vin #s match. Maybe a mix up by DMV.

Vin is U15NLC73919

092 E U152 1 98C 08

Any advice on the vin or decode? Should it be a half cab?

What do you think its worth?

Attachments

• IMG_1864.jpg
    IMG_1864.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_1863.jpg
    IMG_1863.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_1862.jpg
    IMG_1862.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_1860.jpg
    IMG_1860.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_1859.jpg
    IMG_1859.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
Advice and Vin Decode help

That’s a 68 based on the side marker location, small front turn signals, vin# on the warranty plate, and 289 badges. It’s a U15 (wagon), built in January of 68. Looks like a 75 DSO so it was sold out of Phoenix.

A ‘72 would have a 302, different side markers, big front turn signals, and a half cab would have a vin# beginning with U14.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
And a '72 would have had the blue plates no matter what. The black plates went away in '70, and though an earlier rig could have blue plates, not likely a later model would have black plates.
My '68 got re-registered at some point in '71 or so with blue plates. Maybe brought in from out of state? That would make the most sense, but there are other reasons for newer plates on older rigs.
The funny thing is I know it was around '71 only because the plates are within a short bit of my own '71's original plates!
Coincidence? I think not!

Seems like a nice "72" though Ol' Blue. You gonna buy it if the price is right?

Paul

OP
OP
Ol'Blue

Ol'Blue

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks gents!

They built full cabs with the bulkhead and bench?

I got this far with the rest.

092 (??) E (Lt Blue) U152 (heavy duty package) 1(??) 98 (??) C (3 speed manual) 08 (??)

DSO code is 72 = San Jose

I haven't seen anything in Southern California in this shape for under $15k.

Any thought on what it might be worth?

Do the bench, bulk head and PTO increase the value?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
They did build wagons with bulkheads. Does yours have the four holes for the rear seat? Or 8 holes I suppose, if you include the seat belt holes.
Many (all?) of them did not get a rear seat.

Lots of people call them "delivery" or "post office" Broncos because of their theoretical uses they may have been put to originally. But I don't know if Ford ever gave them a specific name.

And yes, most things give a Bronco added value. Most new owners are not looking for an original PTO winch, but in most cases I think it would enhance the value more in the "rare option" category.
Even if it was installed by the dealer after delivery. And maybe even if the grille was hacked to get the driveshafts through it too!

The bench might not give you any added value because it's not popular. But it's still rare, so at some point there might be someone looking for one of those "rare" bench seat Broncos.

Paul

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
92 is 92" wheelbase
198 is 1=bench seat 98=full wagon top
08 is 3.50 gears

OP
OP
Ol'Blue

Ol'Blue

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Anyone have thought on value? I know its hard to say without inspecting but..........

Gupster88

Contributor
Guppy
Loc.
Tillamook OR
Without seeing inside and bottom. With what I have been seeing here. 14 to 16K based on what I can see and what desciption you gave. Maybe a bit more with the way things have been lately . ?? My two cents. Got something close to that caliber for 13 recently. This look a bit nicer tho. Good luck. Keep us posted.

OP
OP
Ol'Blue

Ol'Blue

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Without seeing inside and bottom. With what I have been seeing here. 14 to 16K based on what I can see and what desciption you gave. Maybe a bit more with the way things have been lately . ?? My two cents. Got something close to that caliber for 13 recently. This look a bit nicer tho. Good luck. Keep us posted.

Thanks Gupster, it has a very bad paint job on it and would love to sand and buff it down to some cool patina/original paint like your "leftovers". That one looks great.

Gupster88

Contributor
Guppy
Loc.
Tillamook OR
No problem. Paid just shy of 13 for that one. Let me know if you pull the trigger on that one. If price is right and you dont . Let me know . I am still seeking a 72. Missing that year. Hope you land it. Looks like a good one. Good luck.

Gupster88

Contributor
Guppy
Loc.
Tillamook OR
Thanks Gupster, it has a very bad paint job on it and would love to sand and buff it down to some cool patina/original paint like your "leftovers". That one looks great.

Never mind. It appears that is a 68 according to vin number. Got one of those already. Hope you get it.

OP
OP
Ol'Blue

Ol'Blue

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Well I got it!

Picked it up on Wednesday! It runs, drives and after some cleaning in much better shape then I thought. Will probably start another thread for what to do with it, but want to leave this one stock!

Attachments

• IMG_1869.jpg
    IMG_1869.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1870.jpg
    IMG_1870.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1871.jpg
    IMG_1871.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1872.jpg
    IMG_1872.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 21

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Looks to be in great shape. Nice find.

Has the hood been replaced? No footman's loop for the windshield hold down latch. As DD said, these are sometimes called the delivery model. A little unusual but not that uncommon - seems more are popping up lately.

Gupster88

Contributor
Guppy
Loc.
Tillamook OR
Looks a bit nicer now that it is cleaned up and in the open. Nice bronco. If ya dont mind me asking. What did you get her for? If you do mind dont answer. Either way nice find.