• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

air cleaner assembly

carne

Anyone got the old school stock air cleaner with the cold air intake hose running up to the grill? Mine is a 71 which did not come with a stock setup like that - I have headers = alot of heat, I have all the parts to convert it over to a 73 assembly to allow the cold air aspect. the cold air hose runs up going thru between solenoid and battery - I have no opening for cold air to come thru where the end of cold air intake hose tube bolts on. Is there an opening up there on the later models 72, 73 and later, that came outa the factory with this type of air cleaner setup? It appears mine will bolt to a solid wall with no opening for cold air to enter the tube

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

carne

nevermind - got my answer in Bronco Chat forum. 72, 73, and on had an opening in the core support for the cold air tube - Broncodriver99 sent me a pic of it - 71 did not have cold air, so no opening up there for it. I have to cut it out if I want to use it. - May I say, "GRRRRRRRRR"

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
nevermind - got my answer in Bronco Chat forum. 72, 73, and on had an opening in the core support for the cold air tube - Broncodriver99 sent me a pic of it - 71 did not have cold air, so no opening up there for it. I have to cut it out if I want to use it. - May I say, "GRRRRRRRRR"
That opening was only on '73-'77. '72 didn't have it and used an air cleaner snorkel with a round tube and no hose. That core support opening was added when the little box was added for power steering. There always seems to be a lot of confusion in properly identifying '72 and '73 models for some reason though.

OP
OP
C

carne

broncodriver99 said the opening was in later model 72's was in a 72 that he had, I dont care tho, lol what I do care about is mine doesnt have one - as I ordered these parts I was wondering where the hell does this thing pull the air in from - turns out nowhere til I cut it out. The flexible hose - between assembly and tip- is expandable lengthwise tho and I will see if I can re-route the tip - but ultimatly will probably cut

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have the same year and parts you do carne. I'm just planning to cut a hole. Not a huge deal, but certainly an awkward spot that would require either some serious finesse, fancier tools than I have, or removing the grille for better access.

The late '72 model year trucks did have the cutout, even though the Bronco did not get the actual cold-air cleaner hardware until model year '73, like Viper said. Ford had simply already started installing the new style core support before the official year change over and new designs and smog equipment and such.
I have several friends with '72's that have the stock '72 early "hot-air" filter assembly, but the core supports have the opening, and the bumpout for the power steering.

Paul

56f100bbw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tucson / lakeside AZ
Oem early air cleaner

I have two early bronco air cleaner the tops are different anybody know the difference what year it goes on

Attachments

• 86F99B31-E992-47A5-A687-33C39404F62D.jpg
    86F99B31-E992-47A5-A687-33C39404F62D.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 75
  • 86E39D84-6EC1-4F0F-A70F-F6994AA88BBA.jpg
    86E39D84-6EC1-4F0F-A70F-F6994AA88BBA.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 61

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
I think the top one was a ‘77 only air cleaner. It has the shorter ribs and a different profile. It looks like the one on my ‘77.

56f100bbw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tucson / lakeside AZ
Ok thanks I just bead blasted the blue one for my 76 Bronco and the black one I will put on my 77 did ford ever paint air filter assembly black or were they always blue my 77 was I calif vehicle

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
Ok thanks I just bead blasted the blue one for my 76 Bronco and the black one I will put on my 77 did ford ever paint air filter assembly black or were they always blue my 77 was I calif vehicle

There were some that came painted black. I don’t know what years or why but I have seen some discussions about it....

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yep, both blue and black. I've seen lots of '69 and '70 models that (if I remember!) were black. And some '70's that were blue. My '71 was blue.
Of course, over the years some of them have been swapped out so there are fewer and fewer references we can look back to.

Lots of the early six-cylinder models had black ones I believe. But I've never owned a six, so can't say for certain.
Were the oil-bath air cleaners an option on V8's? If so, I bet those were black.

Pul

56f100bbw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tucson / lakeside AZ
Black air cleaner

Thanks it looked like factory satin black on the 77 , My 76 air cleaner cleaned up nice no rust pitting

Attachments

• AF11F80F-DD02-418F-9E9D-F3A0AC994FE0.jpg
    AF11F80F-DD02-418F-9E9D-F3A0AC994FE0.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 68

chrlsful

Bronco Guru
any 1 gotta pic/schematics/CAD or anything to look at for the core support hole fresh air to AC housing duct. I heard it wuz the oval hole I got in my '70 in the general area over there. I'm pretty sure the hose goes between battery and inner fender but saw 1 that has the hose as in board of the battery.

One thing I never saw is - is there a lill scoop/plastic funnel type thing? How duz the accordion hose attach to the core support? Nuttin btwn there & the grille?
Seems like the end of the hose is a lill plastic adapter, rectangular in shape, from end of hose past battery and then...?

Thnx (even some pic here don't show the lill plastic terminus or the core support hole).
I need to get my grill back on soon AND source these prts/make up sompin mah self...

56f100bbw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tucson / lakeside AZ
76 bronco

This picture is from my 76 bronco The rubber flap is missing on mine that’s how I got this picture

Attachments

• 82E476E2-4D54-4039-BB86-74C3036C2A5A.jpg
    82E476E2-4D54-4039-BB86-74C3036C2A5A.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 67

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
Here’s a diagram of what the fresh air duct looks like on a ‘77. A ‘70 would not have any of that, or even the hole in the core support. The ducts were not used until 73. A ‘70 would look like the picture below with no fresh air duct...
48fe397172d7c2ab5458c7fa8f5e664e.jpg

c1893d79a7c34d21e809dddda7c6f519.jpg

chrlsful

Bronco Guru
OK, thnx U both.

Post #14 shows the/a (correct?) square hole & its placement. Thnx f100~
Post #15 shows correct diagram (seems that rectangle is 2 part and the final piece in total)
but the pic has an ac housing w/snorkel in too far, should B out on end. Thnx 2 Sloleak~

No scoop @ grill, also - must struggle w/headlight to get any air (it appears).
That's great. Clearest I seen in 38 yrs of ownership. Somethings ya just gotta wait 4, ask friends 8^ )

If both R correct (last pic & diagram) wonder the yr for each...
What the plastic looks like on the 'inboard of battery' 1 & it's cs hole/placement.

carne: "... I ordered these parts I was wondering... The flexible hose - between assembly and tip- is expandable lengthwise..."
I mostly just seek the 2 prt plastic rectangle end. Did ur kit have that?

chrlsful

Bronco Guru
doesn't he have a great thread 4 this!?!
I thought we'd refer back 2 it.
The Ford shop mani covers just that yr? I remembah getting those wuz hard AND expensive.
Do U know if the '70 hada 'snorkel extension'?

'S all OK and then some!
I will make up most of this.

That plastic prt I hit up "carne" for is the important 1 to me...

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
The ‘70 air cleaner did not have any kind of extension or ductwork to the core support. It was just as pictured in the photo....

You may just want to post something in the parts wanted forum for a 73 or later air cleaner and ductwork. Somebody may have one laying around....

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Lots of snorkels got "lost" over the years so there are many air cleaner housings running around with just the hole in front.
As far as I know all of this type left the factory with a snorkel like you see, until '73 when they went to the cold-air intake.

The early ones were open to the engine compartment, but like the diagrams show, had a down-tube/heat-riser setup with a heat stove over the exhaust manifold.
Even though my riser tube and heat stove were long gone when I bought mine, a simple replacement hose connected to the snorkel and literally just laying on the exhaust manifold still passed smog every time.

The later ones with the cold-air intake still had the heat riser, but it was shaped differently due to the new angle on the snorkel.

Paul