• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Alternator/charging question

70greenhorn

Loc.
Manakin Sabot, VA
Electrical problems are not my strength by far, in fact, I'm a little scared of it!!! I had problems with keeping the batteries (dual yellow top optimas) charged so I took the alternator to get tested/rebuilt if needed. I was told the alternator was no good and unrepairable. I ordered a new alternator and was given the option to go with a 1 wire set up, thus eliminating the external voltage regulator. I liked the idea and went with this set up. It seemed to work for a while...2-3 wheeling trips and then I started having problems again. I switched back to the original external voltage regulator but am still having problems and the alternator does not appear to be charging. Have I burned up the alternator somehow? What do I need to check and how?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Travis

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Can you take the 1-wire alt back where you got it and have it tested or replaced?

OP
OP
70greenhorn

70greenhorn

Loc.
Manakin Sabot, VA
Steve, Viperwolf, thanks for the replies.

The alternator is not stock and I was told its a 90A alternator off of a ford diesel. I assume it was installed to accomodate for the electric over hydraulic pump that operates the rear steer on my bronco.

I really don't think its charging. I will pull it off and have the guys who built it test it.

thanks for the advice.