• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Any of you getting full coverage with your insurance?

fwilder

I just got off the phone with USAA and I do have full coverage. However I went around and around with the lady and it turns out that if the rig were totaled (God forbid) I would get blue book. They have also told me in the past that if I could prove the value ($15K) that it could be negociated. I'm going to look into a few other options, but stick with USAA now.

00gyrhed

Bronco Guru
Insurance

I have been dealing with this for 30 years with hot rods and off road vehicles. Isn't there someone on this site that actually knows something about insurance and can explain this? Someone here is bound to be high up in some agency somewhere and could provide us with a mass buy on full coverage for our Broncos?;D

I believe they can do whatever they want. I think the local agents try to get rid of all the hard stuff. I was with Travelers for 20 years. Homeowners, auto etc. One day they decide they are not going to insure my CJ5 anymore. It took a lot of phone calls way up the line to find someone who would say yes we can insure it. I basically told them they were making a stupid business decision. Insure a vehicle that was driven maybe 5K miles on the road each year or loose a client that has never even made a claim on any of the policies in 20 years. Eventually someone came around, I was actually surprised. But it was just Liability.

I do not like the restrictions of the antique policies. In fact these restrictions are nothing more than a way for them to legally not pay you when you wreck it. You may be required to prove you were on a club function and most of them specifically exclude off road use in their fine print somewhere. What good is that?

Most of the stated value or appraised value policies I have looked into also have limits and will revert to blue book in a hurry. Read the fine print. They do not want to insure our Broncos. Just because your local agent says you are covered doesn't mean you are. You are responsible for reading the fine print and making sure that you meet the exclusions etc.

Think about it this way. If you sold insurance why would you want to insure our Bronco's?? You rock crawlers that take good looking vehicles out in the rocks and roll, bump, or scrape them up. They do not want to insure that anymore than life insurance guys want to insure skydivers and crock climbers. It is good business. These Broncos are easy to steal, easy to vandalize, and quite a fun joy ride. Never mind most of us are nuts and we increase horsepower, alter steering and brakes, and raise the center of gravity. We just aren't a good risk.

I would recommend that any of you that think you have full coverage at an agreed value really sit down and read the policy carefully and make sure it doesn't exclude off road vehicles or have significant mileage restrictions. When you hit them with a big claim you make it worth their while to dig into the way you used the vehicle.

I have been looking for a policy in Texas for two years that would provided collision and under insured motorist coverage for my Bronco. I have yet to find a policy that did not have some kind of restriction that I couldn't live with. I get plenty of referrals but when all is said and done the fine print goes against the way I will use the Bronco. If someone has a policy in Texas that allows for off road use (even if it doesn't cover off road damage), has no mileage restrictions, and will insure the Bronco for an appraised or stated value please let me know your agent and his phone number.

Yes you could lie and say you only drive it 3K miles and to club functions, but he first time someone t-bones you in the Walmart parking lot and their insurance totals your Bronco at 2K and you go to your company for the rest of the damages, guess what will happen. Or if you roll it on some club function, even a simple little trail ride, you may suddenly find out off road wasn't covered.

My buddy covers all his antiques with these policies. He is supposed to have them stored in a garage. One of his cars got beaten to death in a hail storm about 10 years ago and the insurance carrier refused his claim because it should have been in the garage.

Do not buy the policy if it actually will not cover the way you use the Bronco. You do not stand a chance if violate any of the restrictions, and make a big claim. They do not need to prove anything. They can refuse your claim because they suspect you didn't meet the requirements. You are then forced to fight it, usually with a lawyer, at your expense. Doesn't take long to eat up the value of even a really nice Bronco. Then all that additional money you've been spending on coverage is also gone.

After two years of looking I think the best route is to invest in a anti theft system of some sort, and carry liability insurance. Then take that extra money you would be spending every year and put it in the Bank until you have the value of the Bronco covered. Most of the stuff we do we can fix ourselves anyway.

Again, If anyone in Texas actually has a policy that basically allows for the same coverage you would have on a new pickup truck with a stated or even appraised value please let me know your agent and his phone number.

rooster4089

Loc.
Dothan Alabama
full insurance

I have full coverage on my 76. I use Alfa Insurance. My brother has a 75 and had problems getting anything but the basics for the first year then he changed to Cotton States and was able to pick up full.

sbolejack

Loc.
Rogers, AR
I'm a FB member and didn't know that they had vehicle ins. What they charge you a year?

I pay $500/yr for full coverage and we set an agreed upon value on the policy. I do think I am also going to have it appraised, just in case I ever need the back up.

00gyrhed

Bronco Guru
Just a warning if anyone is still watching this thread. Just because your agent says you have full coverage, at an agreed upon value doesn't mean you do. The insurance carrier may still be able to total it when damages get to the blue book value. You will most likely have to go to court to get more.

I have looked into many policies, and chased a lot of leads. They all have ended up the same way. Without the restrictions no one I have found really gives the full coverage you need.

I am still looking for someone to tell me and agent in the Dallas Texas area that will give stated or even appraised value full coverage without restrictions.

rednck21

One of them said he just called up his agent (also State Farm) and said how much he wanted it insured for and that was the end of it. Sure seemed easy to me. So I called my agent up, talked to one of the office workers and they insisted I needed to get classic car insurance (the kind with the mileage limitations, no 4 wheeling, etc.).

thats what i did. full coverage for 10k on mine and 12k on dads. only thing is theres a limit of 7500 miles a year. they dont get driven alot, so its not a big deal:cool:

eaglenest66

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Good info... anyone use a company called american classic?

I used American Classic at one time for all three broncos and dropped them like a bad habit! I insured my original survivor roadster before I went to pick it up and after some friends and I looked the truck over, I discovered I under insured it.:-[ Called American back to let them know and they told me I needed to for wait their one year time policy and restore the truck with a new appraised or declared value. I had many friends tell me the truck was worth more as is than restored and told me to call on Hagerty Insurance. Called Hagerty Insurance for their quote on all three and very comparable in policy pricing and I could declare any value anytime. Full coverage based on your declared value!!! Hagerty actually looks at value books (ie. Kelly, Blue, etc.) and helps you out with the estimated value!! Great customer support and made the transistion smooth!!;D As for daily driver's though, I don't think Hagerty would be good for that since they do place a limit on annual mileage and even times of the day (common for antique insurance companys).

turbotim2

I had State Farm full coverage on my 67. I also had an appraisal but will need to get that redone after my frame off resto. I have the coverage dropped down to comprehensive while it is all torn apart.

Rob1962

Bronco Guru
USAA will only insure it for liability. However, USAA does have a relationship with a classic car insurer that will insure it for full value, but with mileage restrictions and it must be stored in a locked garage. I can't remember the name of USAA's classic car underwriter, but call USAA back and ask them to hook you up with them, they will know who you are talking about.

My coverage is for $15k I think, 5,000 miles a year, for about $110.

DogDiesel

Loc.
Lunenburg
USAA by state

I been using USAA in states accross the country and overseas.

Rules vary by state.
Had an Oklahoma policy, full coverage on my fiver RV. Towed it to NC and on day one, rainstorm of Godlike proportions destroyed my awning. USAA local office said I lose 30% on depreciable items like awnings. I had to go back to OK for another load with a flatbed. NC said I could not move my RV, so I paid 3 days for it to sit. Turned out, that was an NC rule. %) OK had full coverage on depreciables. I had an OK policy in this case, and just peeved these NC locals off. They paid my 3 days sitting, too.:cry:

I's suspect the reason insurance standards are all over the map, with same insurance companies, is that the states are different.

eaglenest66

Contributor
Bronco Guru
USAA will only insure it for liability. However, USAA does have a relationship with a classic car insurer that will insure it for full value, but with mileage restrictions and it must be stored in a locked garage. I can't remember the name of USAA's classic car underwriter, but call USAA back and ask them to hook you up with them, they will know who you are talking about.

My coverage is for $15k I think, 5,000 miles a year, for about $110.

USAA's sister antique insurer is American Classic!:eek:

crawln68

Bronco Guru
I have mine insured with Hagerty at an agreed value of $35,000. They wanted pictures and details about all of the modifications that I did and then approved it no problem. It's not my daily driver, so I don't put very many miles per year on it and it's kept in the garage.

They are very good with classic cars.

BRONCO26

Loc.
SENOIA
i have mine with autowners and mine is covered for 35,000.00. i had to have mine apraissed at a local hot rod shop and write down everthing that i had bought and also my labor also. they did not give me any hassle about it.

76 bronco J

Bronco Guru
I have been dealing with this for 30 years with hot rods and off road vehicles. Isn't there someone on this site that actually knows something about insurance and can explain this? Someone here is bound to be high up in some agency somewhere and could provide us with a mass buy on full coverage for our Broncos?;D

I believe they can do whatever they want. I think the local agents try to get rid of all the hard stuff. I was with Travelers for 20 years. Homeowners, auto etc. One day they decide they are not going to insure my CJ5 anymore. It took a lot of phone calls way up the line to find someone who would say yes we can insure it. I basically told them they were making a stupid business decision. Insure a vehicle that was driven maybe 5K miles on the road each year or loose a client that has never even made a claim on any of the policies in 20 years. Eventually someone came around, I was actually surprised. But it was just Liability.

I do not like the restrictions of the antique policies. In fact these restrictions are nothing more than a way for them to legally not pay you when you wreck it. You may be required to prove you were on a club function and most of them specifically exclude off road use in their fine print somewhere. What good is that?

Most of the stated value or appraised value policies I have looked into also have limits and will revert to blue book in a hurry. Read the fine print. They do not want to insure our Broncos. Just because your local agent says you are covered doesn't mean you are. You are responsible for reading the fine print and making sure that you meet the exclusions etc.

Think about it this way. If you sold insurance why would you want to insure our Bronco's?? You rock crawlers that take good looking vehicles out in the rocks and roll, bump, or scrape them up. They do not want to insure that anymore than life insurance guys want to insure skydivers and crock climbers. It is good business. These Broncos are easy to steal, easy to vandalize, and quite a fun joy ride. Never mind most of us are nuts and we increase horsepower, alter steering and brakes, and raise the center of gravity. We just aren't a good risk.

I would recommend that any of you that think you have full coverage at an agreed value really sit down and read the policy carefully and make sure it doesn't exclude off road vehicles or have significant mileage restrictions. When you hit them with a big claim you make it worth their while to dig into the way you used the vehicle.

I have been looking for a policy in Texas for two years that would provided collision and under insured motorist coverage for my Bronco. I have yet to find a policy that did not have some kind of restriction that I couldn't live with. I get plenty of referrals but when all is said and done the fine print goes against the way I will use the Bronco. If someone has a policy in Texas that allows for off road use (even if it doesn't cover off road damage), has no mileage restrictions, and will insure the Bronco for an appraised or stated value please let me know your agent and his phone number.

Yes you could lie and say you only drive it 3K miles and to club functions, but he first time someone t-bones you in the Walmart parking lot and their insurance totals your Bronco at 2K and you go to your company for the rest of the damages, guess what will happen. Or if you roll it on some club function, even a simple little trail ride, you may suddenly find out off road wasn't covered.

My buddy covers all his antiques with these policies. He is supposed to have them stored in a garage. One of his cars got beaten to death in a hail storm about 10 years ago and the insurance carrier refused his claim because it should have been in the garage.

Do not buy the policy if it actually will not cover the way you use the Bronco. You do not stand a chance if violate any of the restrictions, and make a big claim. They do not need to prove anything. They can refuse your claim because they suspect you didn't meet the requirements. You are then forced to fight it, usually with a lawyer, at your expense. Doesn't take long to eat up the value of even a really nice Bronco. Then all that additional money you've been spending on coverage is also gone.

After two years of looking I think the best route is to invest in a anti theft system of some sort, and carry liability insurance. Then take that extra money you would be spending every year and put it in the Bank until you have the value of the Bronco covered. Most of the stuff we do we can fix ourselves anyway.

Again, If anyone in Texas actually has a policy that basically allows for the same coverage you would have on a new pickup truck with a stated or even appraised value please let me know your agent and his phone number.

,,,,I went back & forth over details many times with policies such as you & have come to the same conclusion ,,,,, seems if you really want to drive it where ever & when ever & modify accordingly to your tastes without any restrictions ecspecially in a big city unfortunately liability & antitheft devices are the best choices,,,,, although I do have uninsured motorist & theft which I'm not sure what they would amount to,,I may be wrong(hope I am) & plan to show the section of this thread from toddZ to my state farm agent here in town,,,,, agent is Paula Wood<< anyone happen to use that agent also

00gyrhed

Bronco Guru
,,,,I went back & forth over details many times with policies such as you & have come to the same conclusion ,,,,, seems if you really want to drive it where ever & when ever & modify accordingly to your tastes without any restrictions especially in a big city unfortunately liability & antitheft devices are the best choices,,,,, although I do have uninsured motorist & theft which I'm not sure what they would amount to,,I may be wrong(hope I am) & plan to show the section of this thread from toddZ to my state farm agent here in town,,,,, agent is Paula Wood<< anyone happen to use that agent also

I have talked to most of the companies that are listed on this thread as providing full coverage at an agreed upon value. When you read the policy there is always some restriction. I have had agents tell me the policy would provide full coverage, only to read the restrictions and find it did not apply to off road vehicles or non club activities, or had unrealistic mileage restrictions. These restrictions are there for a reason. The carrier will not honor a claim if they think you have not met the restrictions even if the restriction did not have anything to do with the claim. The agent may agree upon a value, but the underwriter will laugh when you try to collect.

Yes there are policies out there for the hot rod or restored antiques that are garaged kept and driven to club activities. These policies are being stretched to their limit when applied to a Bronco that is driven off road, on errands, trips, or driven daily.

I would still like to talk to an agent in the Dallas TX area that will give me full coverage at an agreed upon or appraised value with no other restrictions.

bowhunter

Bronco Guru
Okay, I am not an agent, but I am in the Catastrophe Claims Business. I am not an auto adjuster and have never claimed to be, but I know a lot about it........next, what I am saying is not the gospel!!

First, I have insured all of my EB's with Hagerty for past 5 or so years until recently when I moved all my insurance to American National (Anpac). They were able to move them to a classic policy, Replacement cost, stated value policies for approximately $90.00 per YEAR. That was a far cry from the $400 a year I was paying at Hagerty.

Secondly, Hagerty WILL insure modified EB's or any or other vehicle that is custom or modified. You just need to be sure that you complete the paperwork correctly and do not try to pull the wool over the eyes. More than likely, the reason the rejected the bronco previously in this thread is because they disagreed with the value so they said no.

Lastly, what I am about to say about insurance is pretty profound I know..........here it is....ya ready! READ your policies......that's it, plain and simple. I guarantee there are people out there who think their covered or fully-covered that are not.

Now, let's say a had a 71 Bronco insured with Hagerty (FYI - hagerty never asked me for a mileage verification and there would be know way for them to prove how much I drove it...therefore, I drove it alot) with a stated value of $30,000.00 and a $500.00. FULL coverage right? Not quite

If I have a fender bender, causing the need for a new fender, 4 hours of body work and new paint on 2 panels......I am covered less my deductible.

Scenario 2 and what I think the situation most of you are concerned with: Let's say on your way home from a little saturday gathering at Hooters and you flip your EB on the freeway causing unrepairable damage or a constructive, total loss. Here's the catch.....just because you have a policy with a face value of $30,000.00 doesn't mean they will write you a check for $30k. They will owe the cost to replace the repair or replace the vehicle with a like, kind and quality vehicle. If that like kind vehicle can be purchased for $20K they will write you a check for $19.5 (minus ded.).

People (consumers, agents and even adjusters) use the term "Replacement Cost" out of context or incorrectly a lot in my business. Once again it doesn't necessarily mean policy value. Example - You buy a new Toshiba, 36" TV 4 years ago and pay $3200.00 for it. It's insured for 4 years and during a storm a lightning bolt strikes your house frying that TV. You report the claim, adjuster comes out and pays you $988.99 for the TV........you start jumping around having fits and throwing things at the adjuster reminding them that you have replacement cost. They remind you that the replacement cost "today" is $988.99. The policy will state in big bold letters that in the event of a claim, the claimant cannot gain or profit from a loss. Nothing more, nothing less.

What I would do if I were you if you were or are concerned about your insurance. Talk to your agent about again to confirm that you do have a replacement cost policy, etc. Take lots of photos of your rig (inside and out) and store them in a safe place along with any spec sheets that you have on it. Also, if you know an appraiser or can see a certified body shop (don't really know what that means) find you an appraisal form and have them complete it and sign it for you. Shop around......there are some great classic policies on the market today and they are a lot more economical than most of the carriers previously stated.

Simply do not over value your truck - this will get you into the biggest fights.

In the event of a loss it is "your" and the "insurance companies" duty to PROVE the loss. If your adjuster simply states that "it's" not worth that and "we're" not going to pay that......stand-up on the balls of your feet and fight like hell.

Here is how I settle a claim on a truck I had once (actually an employees truck but it still belonged to me). This scenario would apply to any insurance policy or vehicle. Vehicle: 2001, F-250, Platinum, 4x4, Crew Cab, 51,000 miles. Paid $42,000 brand new. Totalled in a head-on collision in late 2002. Insurance: Replacement cost.

The adjuster (who I never saw in person) calls up on the phone and asks me a few questions and wants to know what the pay-off amount is......I reply calmly that the pay-off was $21,000 but that was irrelevunt at this time. The adjuster fires off a few canned statements and says they'll get back to me after they inspect the vehicle and have a chance to write and estimate. Adj. calls back 3 days later and states they are ready to settle the loss....okay good. She offers me $23,500.00 (notice how close this is to the pay-off) minus deductible. I laugh and ask her how she arrived at this figure and she stated that she had ran 3 comp's and this was the average. I laughed again, requested that she fax those comp's to me for review and that I would contact her in a few hours. I received the comps a few minutes later and sure enough..her comps were not comps at all. One of them was a 2 wheel drive x-cab XLT, one was a 4x4 xlt crew and one was a lariat x-cab.

I jumped on the computer went to truck trader.com ran a search for 2001 F250 4x4 lariat and platinums and come up with over 20 comps within a 1000 mile radius. I threw out the high and the low, averaged the rest faxed it to her called her on the phone to explain what I had done and politely explained to her that I would accept $35,500.00 for my loss. She agreed, apologized and in two days I had my check. You see - I proved my loss.

I hope this helps and I hope I did not just totally confuse everyone.

Dale

00gyrhed

Bronco Guru
Thanks Bowhunter I have been waiting for someone in the insurance business.

I know a lot of these guys that think they are covered arn't. I have read too many policies to think otherwise. It is also true that this stuff varies from state to state.

Had to do the same thing with my 96 F250 that you did.

I do not remember for sure but when I tried Haggarty there were some restrictions I couldn't live with but I will try American National.