• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

not getting full turning radius

thelakerat

The box looks like a 99-04 Jeep Grand Cherokee to me. I have several if you need one. The wad of stuff on top was to try and make the adjuster stop leaking. I have new caps and new sealing lock nuts if you want one.

As for that broken tap, a cutting torch right through the middle of it and the 4 sides will just fall in. If you don't have a torch just use a small punch with quick sharp hits with a hammer to break it apart and then re-tap it.

As for that track bar, Several of the other posts have already said it but it needs to be at the same angle as the drag link to reduce bump steer. so either drop it off the frame mount with a bracket of raise it off the axle with a new mount. they just need to be parallel. It doesn't matter how close they are to each other just parallel.

thelakerat

Oh and a small propane torch held to that fitting for about 30 to 60 seconds and that fitting will come right out.

OP
OP
Sniper

Sniper

Contributor
Loc.
Omaha Nebraska
bolted it back together and got it to my local offroad shop and met with the guy who built my manual '71. ordering a track bar drop bracket tonight, just need to decide on which vendor and then pulling the box and sending it off to west texas offroad.

he said he would install it and make sure it is all safe and working properly and that my track bar is safely secured and won't come free and it won't cost me an arm and a leg. so that's good news.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I would completely box the frame in around the box with some 3/16" plate. You get tremendous stress on the frame in that area.

OP
OP
Sniper

Sniper

Contributor
Loc.
Omaha Nebraska
i didn't look really hard but duffs was the first i found. i've got the choices between these i just need to figure out what size lift i have. i talking to the builder of my '71 at the 4x4 shop i mention a raise bracket but he said because of the pitman i should use a drop bracket.

http://www.dufftuff.com/HD_Track_Bar_Drop_Bracket_66_75_Early_Bronco_p/5407.htm

http://www.dufftuff.com/Track_Bar_Drop_Bracket_1966_75_Bronco_p/5405.htm

http://www.dufftuff.com/Track_Bar_Raise_Bracket_1966_77_Bronco_p/5406a.htm

top of axle to bottom of frame in the front is 12" and rear is 11" so 5 inch lift as 7 front 6 rear stock.

Last edited:

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Drop brackets put additional stress on the frame. Go with a riser mounted to the axle tube. You won't break anything there.

OP
OP
Sniper

Sniper

Contributor
Loc.
Omaha Nebraska
he's advising me that i would need to change my pitman arm and my tie rod to use the axle riser... both of which i really don't want to do for cost reasons. this truck isn't being wheeled, light offroad use mainly dirt roads. it's going to be a DD. so i'm not too concerned about added stress. thinking of using

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Riser bracket does NOT require steering upgrade. But does give the option to do them later. Also better for the frame to run an axle riser. Keeping the existing steering and just doing the riser will fix a lot of the current angle issues.

Yes, it would be better to ditch the drop pitman arm and go tie rod over. But it the existing will work fine for now.

OP
OP
Sniper

Sniper

Contributor
Loc.
Omaha Nebraska
i don't plan on doing any steering upgrades. i don't know i'm conflicted because he looked at the truck and seems pretty adamant that the drop is better due to the pitman arm. if i do go with a drop i'm thinking of going this route, however i do know that if i want to go with the axle riser i can do that down the road.

i'm still texting him about it, don't know if he will chime in on here or not. the frame damage from the box having that 4th hole drilled shittily, is causing doubt about running a drop bracket. and i'm conflicted on it.

Rox Crusher

Bronco Guru
Please listen really carefully to the following advice..........

Use an axle riser instead of a drop bracket. Your mechanic probably just hasn't seen / used one yet so he is recommending what he knows.

You are getting very sound advice from a community of experts on the very vehicle you are dealing with.

Conflict averted.

OP
OP
Sniper

Sniper

Contributor
Loc.
Omaha Nebraska
better to go with WH? or james duff? the duffs riser looks like it only has one setting whereas the WH is multiple adjustable.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
better to go with WH? or james duff? the duffs riser looks like it only has one setting whereas the WH is multiple adjustable.

The WH riser is very beefy, probably 3/8" thick. I wouldn't go as far to say it's adjustable though. You have a choice of 2 track bar locations when it's fitted and welded together. After that there is no disassembly and adjustment.

Ol'Blue

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Demon, please also have your mechanic do a general safety check. I don't see any cotter pins in the passenger side tie rod ends or steering knuckle. It may be just the pic but looks like they're missing. Good luck it'll all be worth it.

OP
OP
Sniper

Sniper

Contributor
Loc.
Omaha Nebraska
well yeah i figured there's more adjustability. i know the duffs has only one. i do however like that the duffs comes painted and it would match everything else that's polish black. i don't know which would be best for the 5inch suspension lift on my little brothers '71.

i'll go with the combined experience here and get the riser. he built my '71 and he's been on the site before. that was the only reason why i was hung up about it.

he said he would make sure the steering is shored up and safe. in the mountain of spare parts he gave me with my '71 there was a steering support plate which will be going on my little brothers truck.

my main concern is making this truck safe. and reliable. my next goal is putting disc brakes on it from a 78 F150 but ive not done anything like that before and i am more worried about getting them off the F150 since i won't have an impact or all my tools.

OP
OP
Sniper

Sniper

Contributor
Loc.
Omaha Nebraska
i guess at this point we know the issues and how to fix them, i'm now just wondering for my specific application/situation with a 5 inch suspension lift what is the best track bar raise bracket?

though i don't like to challenge people when i know they have much more experience than I (because i hate it when people do it to me somtimes) i'll tell him we are going with the raise bracket and to just install it.

just because i may have confused someone, this truck is the '71 manual that the mechanic i am talking about who works at a local offroad shop built. my little brother is in the back

this is the truck i am working on in this thread, my little brothers '71 automatic

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sniper

Sniper

Contributor
Loc.
Omaha Nebraska
so which raise bracket would be best for my 5 inch suspension lift? or is there a difference?

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
so which raise bracket would be best for my 5 inch suspension lift? or is there a difference?

I think you would have the best chance of getting good geometry with the WH bracket. Look at the instructions http://cdn.wildhorses4x4.com/downloads/WH/1233 08-08-06.pdf You may have to experiment with a less dropped pitman arm also. That extra drop at the pitman also puts extra torque into the frame that you really don't want.