• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Anybody using this AC kit style? “Knee knocker” under dash units

hahnn6

Hey everyone
Can anyone share their experiences with these cooling-only under dash kits? Are they easier to install/less modifications than the complete systems by vintage air for example? I’m looking for minimal mods to the firewall and don’t mind using my original heater setup. Do these under dash kits fit? And if you have a recommendation on a specific model please share! Right now I’m looking at old air products cap-300-cf as shown in the attached pics
Thank you!
I can’t figure out how to upload pics on my phone so here’s the link to what I am looking at in the meantime
https://www.oldairproducts.com/product/cap-300-cf-complete-package

Last edited:

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
An underdash unit is much easier to install than an integrated unit. No ductwork involved or changes to the heating. The only permanent modifications are the holes in firewall for the hoses, and a few screw holes.
I’m not familiar with that unit but you want to make sure it fits well enough under the dash to not interfere with the transfer case shifter or get in the way of your right foot. You may have to adjust pulleys and fan spacing to get the compressor lined up. You also want the largest parallel flow condenser you can fit into the core support opening. It will cool much better with the proper condenser.

Last edited:

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I wish they would give dimensions. Under dash on a Bronco is a little tighter than many other cars. I had a generic one I got at a swap meet I was going to piece together. When I started fitting it, found I didn't have room for it. Not saying the oldair is that large. But making a cardboard box with the dimensions for a test fit before buying parts would be nice.

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
just started this and it will take some time to finish ,
depth and width are the problems they make a mini one out there but it has bad reviews, I bought the cheapest one one Amazon’s 68 bucks 10 bucks shipping and I’m going to try to make a new case for it. With smaller dementions , I took it apart and can shave 3 inches off the front which puts it about an inch past the front of the dash and not in the way of the t case shifters, and you can shave about 2 inches from the sides reducing the width from 16 to about 14 inches
16 inches to too wide and 13 inches is to deep..in my opinion. It will be awhile also wanted driver side connections and it didn’t come that way so it’s another problem

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I do have the stock 77 302 dealer installed engine bracket and compressor , if anyone is interested

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I was thinking of mentioning the cheap Amazon ones. I got one for $63 with free delivery. I'm working on putting it in the cargo area of my van. Going to build it piecemeal.
I was surprised mine also came with a heater core built in as well. But they did it wrong, placing it before the evaporator. Backwards for a dehumidifier. Besides already have a diesel parking heater for the back. I wish I could take it out and make it more compact, but it is built into the evaporator, same fins.

Hammer6672

I have a orignal ford under the dash unit that was a dealer add own. 300 +shipping

gnsteam

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lincoln NE
I was thinking of mentioning the cheap Amazon ones. I got one for $63 with free delivery. I'm working on putting it in the cargo area of my van. Going to build it piecemeal.
I was surprised mine also came with a heater core built in as well. But they did it wrong, placing it before the evaporator. Backwards for a dehumidifier. Besides already have a diesel parking heater for the back. I wish I could take it out and make it more compact, but it is built into the evaporator, same fins.
Is this the Amazon unit?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01006B2MS/?tag=cbama-20

Broncobowsher

Total hack
OP
OP
H

hahnn6

Thank you all for the input - I was worried the fitment would be an issue. I went ahead and got the VintageAir kit so hopefully it works out well. Thank you!

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
63 bucks with the heater too is a good deal
the one I good looks decent not Super cheap, I started just trying to find a evaporative core to build.
stupid me I threw away the original one but it was thrashed but fit, the stock one might be the ticket above

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Is this one both heat and A/C? Looks like a prett good option!
Yes, there is a heater core in there as well. But as I mentioned, it is wrong for de-humidification. And the funky face plate setup to push air through 2" ducts. But it does move air pretty good. It is still in my pile of parts that is going into the back of my adventure van.

BradGP

Thank you all for the input - I was worried the fitment would be an issue. I went ahead and got the VintageAir kit so hopefully it works out well. Thank you!
Looking forward to your update. We'll do the AC mod next after installing the brake pads and tires from 4Wheelonline next week.