• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Anyone have issues with Xfer case shifter?

mctwist

Loc.
Sandusky, Ohio
I recently had my J shift transfercase rebuilt and I re-installed it back in the bronco. I put the shifter back on it the only way it can go on (i think).
The problem is when I shift it into 2H the rear shaft spins like its in neutral and the front one feels like its in gear. (I can turn it but its very hard to).
4H- both feel like they are in neutral
4L- Both feel like they are in gear
What the heck is going on? I asked the guy who built it if he put it together backwards or something. He told me the gears only go in one way and he thinks its my shifter. Any thoughts???

zeeman1

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Seattle
You could check by getting it up on jackstands and seeing which tires move in which gear setting.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
If the input gear is on backwards (yes it can be) you will not have high range at the rear. Low range would work fine.

To eliminate a shifter problem measure the distance from the edge of the shift flags to the shift rail boss on the tcase.

Attachments

• Bronco 310.jpg
    Bronco 310.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 52
  • Bronco 311.jpg
    Bronco 311.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 46
  • Bronco 312.jpg
    Bronco 312.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 44
  • Bronco 313.jpg
    Bronco 313.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 46
OP
OP
mctwist

mctwist

Loc.
Sandusky, Ohio
Thanks Viperwolf for the detailed pics. MUCH APPRECIATED. I am going to check this shortly. I am gonna kill this guy if i have to take the transfer case back out!!!

OP
OP
mctwist

mctwist

Loc.
Sandusky, Ohio
just checked the shifter measurements. They are correct Looks like some lucky guy gets to take my transfer case back out (that would be me) :mad: :mad: :mad:

Viper- Would you have an internal pic of the gear that I could show this guy so he knows what the heck I am talking about?? Thanks again btw

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
It's the gear on the adapter. It'll go on both ways but only works one way.

Attachments

• forks.jpg
    forks.jpg
    235.8 KB · Views: 42