• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Anyone regret going to twin sticks on J shifter?

OP
OP
M

Mikey

Bronco Guru
Thanks everyone! I won the JB Fab twin sticks off eBay. Basically got 'em for full price minus shipping. About a $14 savings!

How tough to cut the flags with T-case still installed? I have a Dremel, air cut-off, saws-all, electric grinder, air die grinder and hand hack saw...which will work best?

Again,

I GOT ONE, I GOT ONE!!! Be here soon!
Mikey

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
Congrats, havent done one in the vehicle but I'd figure unless you cut the side of the tunnel out you'd have to hack saw it. It gets real tight in there.

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
Mikey said:
Thanks everyone! I won the JB Fab twin sticks off eBay. Basically got 'em for full price minus shipping. About a $14 savings!

How tough to cut the flags with T-case still installed? I have a Dremel, air cut-off, saws-all, electric grinder, air die grinder and hand hack saw...which will work best?

Again,

I GOT ONE, I GOT ONE!!! Be here soon!
Mikey
I used the die grinder with a cut off wheel not bad at all. You will want the smallest one that you have to fit in there the dremel will work good but you will go through a bunch of cut off wheels I think. Good luck and you won't be sorry.

aaronmichorn

Loc.
Taylorsville
Awesome, I just got my JB fabs twin stick in, and found out that the Prev Owner has cut the flags off completely and bolted a piece of metal to connect them back together. Don't know why.

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
aaronmichorn said:
Awesome, I just got my JB fabs twin stick in, and found out that the Prev Owner has cut the flags off completely and bolted a piece of metal to connect them back together. Don't know why.
He didn't want you to have his twin sticks;D

ken75ranger

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Troy, NY
Mikey said:
Mikey
Not too bad. I tried from the top with no luck
I came up from the bottom with an electric grinder with a 4 inch cut-off wheel. It jams in place just right.

Doyle

Bronco Guru
I used a die grinder from drivers side of the tunnel, PO had cut a rather large hole there for some reason. Covered it all when I did the tranny floor shift conversion.

OP
OP
M

Mikey

Bronco Guru
Looks like I will get to try to install them this weekend. I'm hoping to be able to get in there with out cutting the side out of the tunnel. I have no body lift.

Stay tuned!
Mikey

OP
OP
M

Mikey

Bronco Guru
Installed mine last month and really like 'em except now it will pop out of front high. Any idea why? Never did that with the old J shifter.

Only thing I don't like is how close the front shifter stick is to my leg. Looks like they designed these to clear a floor shifter (which I don't have).

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
Mikey said:
Installed mine last month and really like 'em except now it will pop out of front high. Any idea why? Never did that with the old J shifter.
Sounds like you need new detent springs

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
Mikey said:

Only thing I don't like is how close the front shifter stick is to my leg. Looks like they designed these to clear a floor shifter (which I don't have).

Are you sure you have enough clearance? Detent springs or shimming the existing ones could do the trick.

The sticks can be bent more vertical...I would remove them to do this though.

OP
OP
M

Mikey

Bronco Guru
What I'm thinking is the new boot is so stiff it's vibrating out. I've only tried the front in high when it's cold out. I tried the twins with all the plates and boots off in all gears down my dirt drive before I completed the install (no interference with the tunnel). Had no problems once I learned how they shift but not a far enough distance to confirm if it's the boot, I guess. I have JB Fabs and their boots are pretty stiff when cold.

If it was the detent springs, wouldn't that have occured with the J shifter, too?

PO had the xfer case rebuilt....I know...doesn't really mean anything I've found........like the PO forgot two bolts connecting xfer case to the tranny. duh!!

If ever I pull the sticks, I'll straighten 'em up a bit. Have other more important things at this point. I seam sealed the plates and don't want to mess with it all now.

evil69

fawkin classy
Loc.
Athens, GA
Does anybody know if there is a way to grind the shift rails down so you CAN NOT shift into front high/rear low? I found a write up to grind the shift rail on my NP205 so this can not happen for my trail rig, but I haven't done the street rig. If memory serves, I ground about and inch at the bottom and a half inch or so at the top of the front rail.

ca pony

Nice pics,
I got my Stainles Steel ones off ebay for $190.00, but I haven't installed them yet. I was kind of having second thoughts about cuting the tabs for the new twin sticks.

But now I can't wait to install them because of the good revues on them. I do have two question though.

When you cut the tabs, is the cut straight down the middle of both tabs? In other words is their any material undereath the top tab?

Second question, has anyone used a saws all to cut the tabs. Because the way I see it, you either have to have take the transfer case down to get to the tabs or get to the tabs from the side tunnal cover where the three speed manual shifter would be. Seems like a saws all would work just as well from the original opening.

I don't want to do something that I would regret later.

72_EB

Contributor
66to77
One of the best mods you can do to an Early Bronco (especially a J-sh&^ting one). Twin sticks rule!