• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Anyone regret going to twin sticks on J shifter?

OP
OP
M

Mikey

Bronco Guru
ca pony said:
Nice pics,
I got my Stainles Steel ones off ebay for $190.00, but I haven't installed them yet. I was kind of having second thoughts about cuting the tabs for the new twin sticks.

But now I can't wait to install them because of the good revues on them. I do have two question though.

When you cut the tabs, is the cut straight down the middle of both tabs? In other words is their any material undereath the top tab?

Second question, has anyone used a saws all to cut the tabs. Because the way I see it, you either have to have take the transfer case down to get to the tabs or get to the tabs from the side tunnal cover where the three speed manual shifter would be. Seems like a saws all would work just as well from the original opening.

I don't want to do something that I would regret later.

I thought about a saws all but I don't think you have the clearance underneath for the blade. I just cut out a section of the tunnel and fabbed a plate to seal the hole back up and used a cut off wheel. Search the threads as someone posted a link to good photos on exaclty what to cut.

sbolejack

Loc.
Rogers, AR
One of the best mods I made. Got mine from Tom's and it took less than an hour for the whole install. Had everything with it, t-Sticks, boot, t-case cover plate.:)

twisted_mr

Loc.
Calion, AR
I noticed someone's twin stick boot said that it would not work w/ a body lift. I don't have a body lift YET but may in the future. Is that the case w/ everyone's boot?

Also read that the dremmel tool would work to cut off the flags without cutting the side of the tunnel or dropping the case (think I read this in the archives). Anyone want to confirm this?

Very interested in this mod. Mine is a pain to get out of 4 lo. I didnt have any problems shifting transfer case in my 81. Aren't the transfer cases the same? Dana 20?

Thanks,
Terry

z70what

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Johnson City
Just twin sticked my J Shift w/ James Duff's Shifters..... it is like the difference between night and day... prob one of my favorite upgrades... next to lockers and my 351W that is... haha

Luke

eb66to77

Bronc'Ownly
Loc.
NOVA
twisted_mr said:
I noticed someone's twin stick boot said that it would not work w/ a body lift. I don't have a body lift YET but may in the future. Is that the case w/ everyone's boot?

Also read that the dremmel tool would work to cut off the flags without cutting the side of the tunnel or dropping the case (think I read this in the archives). Anyone want to confirm this?

Very interested in this mod. Mine is a pain to get out of 4 lo. I didnt have any problems shifting transfer case in my 81. Aren't the transfer cases the same? Dana 20?

Thanks,
Terry

Ford stopped using the Dana 20 with the 78 bronco. The '81 is different.

MattMoe

Contributor
Loc.
Baton Rouge
So is there any major differences between the different vendors? I see 2 black and the rest stainless and prices go from $200 to $135 and some come with the boot. Other than price is there anything like placement on the tunnel, length of throw, or ease of shifting that would be a reason to spend more rather than less?