• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Anyone regret installing a doubler?

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
OK, here's the deal. I swapped out my stock three speed for an NP435 a couple of years ago, and shortly after doing so, things went bad and now my output shaft is toast. I've managed to find a new stock output shaft for free, but I also have a Dodge 203 case in my garage that I got for a great price in case I ever decided to do the doubler setup. Since I have to rebuild the transmission anyway, I figure this would be the time to do the doubler. Problem is, do I really want to spend the $1100 or so for the adapters. I'd like to do more off roading than I do, plus the coolness factor is there. I've got the money for the adapter kit, but simply having the money for something isn't always a great excuse for buying something (no matter what wives say about that 32nd pair of shoes) :) Just looking for opinions from the guys with doublers. Is the added weight noticeable, does it create any additional maintenance issues? Will having it there while I'm driving on the street 80% of the time be an issue.

On a side note, what is the difference between the NP435/203 adapter from Wildhorses and Jed's Machining? And since I might be doing this swap, is the 205 really that much more stout than the D20? If I'm going to do this, I want to do it all at once the way I want it and be done with it. I hate doing stuff twice.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
I wouldn't change a thing that I can think of on mine. My total cost including the C6 tranny and t-cases was in the neighborhood of $1200. I only needed to buy the doubler adapter for between the 203 and the 205 for mine though. As far as strength difference it' like comparing a Dana 30 to a Dana 60. Or if some prefer a Dana 44 to a Dana 70. The NP205 is stronger even than the popular Atlas. Maintenance is no more of an issue than a Dana 20 but you are adding weight and additional drag so economy will suffer a little. I don't know if it would be noticeable or not because I don't keep that close of track of my MPG.