• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

B20 Biodiesel

FORD*DIEHARD

Contributor
So I noticed today at the gas station I normally go to (G & M) just changed the "Diesel" pump to "B20 Biodiesel", is this the "New" normal diesel that we are used to seeing? The sign above it says to (see owners manual......)

I know even though this is not a "Bronco" question there are many here that have diesel vehicles, want to make sure this fuel is ok for older diesel engines? What other options are there?

I have a 97 F350 7.3

Thank you in advance for your time,

Sonny

ame

High grade bio diesel work well and typically has more lubrication then regular diesel, I run it in my 06 Cummins with no issues but I do have a 2 micron filter and wont run it in the winter where we will see 0 deg temps as it seems to coagulate. I would never run home made bio that is unknown through an electronically controlled diesel but have not seen any issus with B20 from pumps. If you get into high grade bio it can cause issues with the rubber lines and cause issues but have not seen that with B20.

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
The older the diesel engine the more compatible with bio or vege diesel. I ran an 02' 7.3l and a 03' 6.0l for almost a year on filtered used restaurant vegetable oil when our diesel prices were almost $4.50 a gallon.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I think most of all the modern diesels are required to be approved to run on B20, I know my 2014 6.7 Power Stroke is. It seems to run the same on either straight D2 (which is typically blended with 5% biodiesel/95% petroleum diesel) or B20, noting that the B20 tends to run about $.20 to $.30 per gallon less in my corner of Oregon. I've been told that the B20 can be a bit harder on filters, but I haven't seen that to be the case. That said, I change my fuel filters every 15k miles and run D2[5%] probably 80% of the time, so maybe that's why.