• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bad Engine, need help

OP
OP
A

AK-47

Loc.
Long Island
Well, it's not the head gasket. Sending the head out for Magnaflux this week. I suppose best case is a cracked head. I don't want to think about what happens if the head comes back clean.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Well, it's not the head gasket. Sending the head out for Magnaflux this week. I suppose best case is a cracked head. I don't want to think about what happens if the head comes back clean.

My experience, get them pressure tested. I know, the machine shop will tell you iron heads don't need that but I got burned. 4 sets of head gaskets and a engine in and out 3 times and a couple full disassemble and reassembly later, it WAS a cracked head and magnafluxing didn't find it.

Tim

Nightstick

Bronco guy

Well, piss.... When you pulled the heads was there any water sitting in the cylinders?

OP
OP
A

AK-47

Loc.
Long Island
UPDATE: Head came back clean...Magnafluxed and pressure tested. #6 is rusted out, I can only surmise that it's a cracked block under 6/7.

If I do have to replace...I'm going crate engine...306, 347 or 351? Anyone have any thoughts on reliability? I imagine a 302 block swap will be much easier? I should be able to cannibalize some parts from the original and just get away w/ purchasing a long-block. Any advice would be very appreciated.

OP
OP
A

AK-47

Loc.
Long Island
Guys,

I need to pull the trigger on a crate engine by tomorrow in order to save my summer. Given that I'm replacing a 302, it would seem easiest to just buy a 302 so there would be less issues w/ headers, fitment etc. I'm planning on cannibalizing most of the dress from my original POS so I'm looking to spend under $5k on a long block. Anyone have any suggestions? Are the crate motor cams sufficient to turn 35's on the highway?

mp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Austin, TX
Guys,

I need to pull the trigger on a crate engine by tomorrow in order to save my summer. Given that I'm replacing a 302, it would seem easiest to just buy a 302 so there would be less issues w/ headers, fitment etc. I'm planning on cannibalizing most of the dress from my original POS so I'm looking to spend under $5k on a long block. Anyone have any suggestions? Are the crate motor cams sufficient to turn 35's on the highway?

Stroked 302 will run same accessories and get you back on the road faster. The 351 block will bolt right up but the accessories and headers will need some massaging or swapped out. Go for the 331 and be done with it.

As has been explained numerous times, it's gearing (paired with motor and tire size) that gets you to 70 on the highway. You want a lower RPM sweet spot cam--commonly referred to as the RV option.

mp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Austin, TX
What ever stroke you choose is up to you, as long as you stick with the 302 as the base.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You started the thread wanting 80mph with 33's, now want 35's? Sound is a muffler issue, simple.

Buy a well built 302 with good intake and cam.

Stay 31 tires. You turn 35s with gearing not HP.

Stop desiring 80mph, its dangerous, period, dot unless you have a lot of cash to drop into your suspension/brakes/rollcage, etc.

As a guy with a 347, unless you really want one and know all about them, I am recommending staying as stock as possible, 302. I even recommend the dreaded 351 over the 347 for simplicity.:)

Bottom line, what is your budget? File a claim against the builder.

BluebroncoNC

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Asheville, NC
I have a mildly messaged 302 with 3:50 gears on the back on 33" tires with a Magnaflow exhaust. It sounds great but honestly, my tire noise makes me have to scream to talk at 70 mph, not the exhaust noise. I can run 80 at around 2800 rpm and watch the gas gauge swing left, but it is not safe particularly when running 70 or 65 mph feels a lot safer, therefore I try not to run above 75. If you have to be somewhere quickly, take a different vehicle, like my wife's 335i. I can run that 115 mph for hours (did that in Germany on the Autobahn).

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
My point exactly, these were designed during the drive 55 era.

LowCountryEB

Loc.
Charleston, SC
AK-

I have a tired 302 and have been researching this for a long, long time. I'm also about to pull the trigger so I don't lose the summer down here at the beach. I need to order mine on Monday. I almost had a local builder build mine, but he got "antsy" with my block sitting in his garage and SOLD it (yes, sold MY 351W block) to one of his buddies. Put the money in his pocket and I never saw a dime. He really did me a favor and made my decision to go crate a lot easier. If he is willing to steal my block ($200), I certainly didn't trust him to build my engine, much less his "warranty". And he came highly recommended. LOL

I am most likely going to buy from www.blueprintengines.com. Since I'm doing it, I'm going all out with the 408. They also have the 306, 331, and 347. The differences in price between the 4 mentioned is minimal in my opinion. So, why not go 408? Again, I've done a ton of research and I'm comfortable with BluePrint. Also, you can order directly from them, or order from Summit.com or Jegs.com. And they have a very good warranty.

OP
OP
A

AK-47

Loc.
Long Island
Thanks LC, I went blueprint also from Summit. 306 so I could keep all my original shiny tin and accessories. Can't beat their warranty. I would never again use a mom and pop shop b/c as I learned the hard way, a warranty is only as good as the person behind it. Trying to save the summer too. Good luck w/ your swap.

AK-