• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bailie Bilt - Project "Quarter Horse" 8-14-08 Pics With Wheels/Tires Finally!!

Imagator

Loc.
Land O' Lakes, FL
I could care less if the guy puts a Chevy motor in HIS rig as long as it isnt going in mine.

I appriciate that he took the time to show us his build. Im not a very expereinced builder so I am constantly looking for ideas and solutions. I learned two things I didnt understand from this post and they had nothing to do with the type of engine. What I cant under[STAND] is why people feel the need take away from the intent of the thread by bashing the guy for his personal choice. He is doing the best he can with what he has and atleast he is keeping it American. Im sure he made the statement, "people will crucify me" to get the engine issue out of the way. If you want to express your purist ideology regarding this issue then start a different thread. I promise I wont jump on it and talk about my dog.

Thanks for the post Bowhunter. It kinda hurts seeing that Chevy engine go in but Im sure it is going to be a bad ass rig! I didnt realize you could move an engine around like that.

357Bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
New Hampsha
I wasn't going to get in to this thread, I don't have much to say about the chebby motor in the Bronco, it's wrong. But ya gotta use what you have, theres little money to get out of used motors in my opinion, usually half of what was invested. As easily as the bow tie went in, it can come back out, and replaced with the right one at a later date if you really do want a Ford power plant. I thought that was why we do what we do, constant changing and modifing to suit our needs. Sounds like you've got other things to deal with, take care. P.S, I was going to say to everyone to ease up with all the comments, " It's his jeep" , but I didn't want you to take it the wrong way, just bustin your ......

MountainGuy

Loc.
Athens, Georgia
You can use GM or chevy brakes, but not engine? Hey Bowhunter, keep up with the pics man. i like build-up threads because it gives me motivation to learn how to do so myself. good luck with your build.

Potshot

No matter what engine is in it I for one think that is gonna be a sweet rig. Nobody gets crucified when they put the 4bt's in so whats the big deal. Nice work.

This says it all. There're chevy brake parts in a lot of Broncos on this board too. I like these build threads no matter what they're about. I've read quite a bit of the Pirate board and I still stay on this one because of the overall good vibe. Keep posting on the updates.

BTW, still waiting to hear about the B'Bilt rear bumper with the driver's side spare mount!

And I'm really sorry to hear about the little one. When our son was new we had to bring him to the hospital for respiratory problems a couple times and I remember that my patience was completely non-existent. I'm suprised I didn't kill someone. Hang in there.

2Broncos2Go

Bronco Guru
Okay.....guess my .02 goes here

THE NAME IS..... "PROJECT QUARTER HORSE"

and I'll vouch for Dale's love of Broncos.....
now hugs & get wells to the girls.

Doyle

Bronco Guru
I've got a Chebby blower motor, Cherokee wipers, Thunderbird calipers and a Volkswagen rabbit hook latch. Don't know what the powersteering cooler came from. My bumpers and rockers are homemade, along with several small parts. Let the builder decide.

neonizagas

Loc.
Minneapolis, MN
Your project looks great keep on posting!
So what about putting a chevy motor in it.%) Get er done!
The way it's going it might not be to long before all the US automotive manufactures become one anyhow!
I own 3 Broncos!
I drive a Chevy S-10 to work daily!
Just got a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic for hauling my Trail Rig.
Nothing wrong with having choices!

Gerry

okorangebrnco

Bronco Guru
If that is the 383/ 700R4/ Atlas 4.3 out of an old friends Jeep, than let it rest in the Bronco frame! It will be one sick powered bronco that will have no problem BURNING 42's. I am a Ford guy through and through, but that is one Chevy set up I'd kill to have and had a chance to buy it, but a 21 year old can't afford much going Pre-Med. Let us all wait to see what is next around the corner! You gonna have Dana 60's, Fast Beadlock wheels, and TSL 42's???

joe

Bronco Guru
i would have named it halfbreed;D

no offense dale, i lke buggys, rigs, big trucks. until last week when i bought a 99 f250 tow rig i had about three chevy trucks and have owned an original 69 impala with 47000 miles on it for about 17 years now but.......................

that quote up there is some funny $#!+ ! ;D

to each his own, keep up the post, love these build threads, hope to start one of my own some day.

Slick

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Petoskey, MI
%)

PERSONALLY- I can not comprehend putting a cheby motor in ANY vehicle that isn't a GM. It's like use'n a woman's frame with your BMX bike parts... to me at-least.

I went as far as buy'n a ZF trans to put in my rig even though I had access to what was basically a free NV3350.

There is that SWEET rock crawler for sale here in so-cal and I was in awe of it till I saw the chevy drive train...

As far as cost... IF IT WERE MY DECISION, I would have just bought a cheap 302 or 351 to slap in it, then as time or $$$ allowed sawp it out for a crate motor or what ever.

:p I get it, you have a SWEET motor and trans sitt'n there wait'n for use, but I would have went and found a 72 blazer or 72 or earlier Camullet to sport those horses.

:eek: ...amazingly enough, NOBODY asked me, and most importantly IT's NOT MY VEHICLE, so do with it what you will BUT it rubs me against MY grain. :cry:

100% diffrent direction to my post... dose knotching the frame like that, is it now the weak point of the frame??? Or, is it as strong or stronger than it was to start??? ?:?

sry to shave my negitive view on a positive build, but FREE SPEECH & all ;), just kid'n!

...but I digress

:cool:

howiebilt

Bronco Buddah
Loc.
Newton
Wow :eek: what a thread !

The quality of the workmanship is really the key to the whole thing ... I love it when there are pics of stuff being built and the sharing of the knowledge and ideas with the rest of us is great . Keep up the good work and let's see more pictures . Remember that opinions are only important to the person who expresses theirs and should never be considered more important than your own unless of course those opinions are from your wife ;D and we don't want our wives posting on here now do we ;) ;D ;D ;D ;D

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
I also am a Ford Guy, worked at a dealership since i was 17 (23 years now) But that being said, I wish i had a 1/4 of the talent the people on this board have. Ingenuity is the mother of all inventions, sometimes thinking outside the box brings new ideas. Like was stated, i love seeing the buildup pix, many ideas are formed. Rock on with your bad self!

Slick

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Petoskey, MI
%)

I re-read my last post...

I think I am a lil overly aggresiv in stating my opinion.

I take my hat of to you guys! You indeed are building a nice ride!

The point I was go'n after was only that it totally not a choice I would have made or really understand for that matter.

BUT, it is your rig, you SHOULD do what YOU want to it! :D

:p BUT, I am still curious... Dose notching a frame weaken it or cause a spot most liklley to fail under stress??

The job done looks SUPERB! I just ask out of general curosity!

:cool:

defecater

Loc.
Osceola,IA
From my take on the Chevy engine, It is more a combination of

1-mags always pushing GM (and moreso, jeep) at us that it's gotten to the point it just disgusts me.

2-As anybody that is a devout Ford enthusiast knows, you tend to get a lot of crap from chevy peeps. Close friends and wheeling buds is fine, but when complete strangers that dont know me diss my Fords, thats not cool!!

Based on those two issues, I feel that if I ever put a chevy engine in a non-GM, would be in essence, like agreeing with chevy people in their assertions that chevy's are "superior", and emboldens them to give you even more crap--

just how I see it in my mind-- obviously people might not take the whole issue as seriously as I do.

I would probably have to eat a bullet if the Bronco scene ever got as severe as the street rod scene, where damn near everything is chevy powered.

My take on the frame notching is that it should be fine if appropriate reinforcing measures are taken- I have done this twice, one was an actual notch for t-case clearance that I plated the frame in that area to regain the structural integrity back. On my current buggy (bronco frame) I resorted to cutting 4 holes in the frame to run my coolant lines to the rear radiator. Again, I built up the areas around these holes. Plus the full on frame mounted cagework no doubt helps too.