• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bailie Bilt - Project "Quarter Horse" 8-14-08 Pics With Wheels/Tires Finally!!

OP
OP
bowhunter

bowhunter

Bronco Guru
Okay......where to start. Got back out to Gordons for a little busted knuckle action. What we've accomplished..........first, front suspension is complete and welded. Also, we set the body down on the chassis and to both of our surprise, we don't have near as much work fitting the body as we expected (it's nice to have a few things go your way during a build like this!)

We mocked up the Fox shocks and found that we will NOT have to modify the hood, fenders or rear wheel housings to acheive the resting (shock) ride height we are after (another nice surprise....well, not as much as a surprise as it is a pat on the back to Gordon for ALL the pre-planning that went into this build).

The greatest news within my last paragraph is that we will be able to maintain a lot of the "classic" EB body and interior. My wishes are to have a "relatively" stock looking body on a chassis that absolutley rock-n-rolls...........all indications so far lead us to believe that this thing is going to be a monster on the rocks..........clearance and flex for days!!

Really the biggest "fitting" that needs to be done to the body is cut out a section of the floor for the Atlas, trim the rear quarters, and trim the front fenders and grill to accomodate the 109" of wheel base. The approach and departure angles are going to be off the charts on this truck! BTW - keep posted to this thread for a very cool, custom, Bailie Bilt rear bumper that we thought of today (actually I thought of it - sorry Gordo).

Right now our goal is to have the body fitted, sandblasted, seam-sealed and painted in two weeks..........so far, we are looking really good to achieve this goal. Then, Gordon goes on vacation and the chassis finally comes home with me for dissassembly, dressing, touch-ups and powder coating.

This is getting very exciting ladies and gents. Quarter Horse will definitely be at OCBR and hopefully if all goes well to Disney a few times to work out the bugs!!

Thanks for looking and being interested. Take a peak at some of the additional photos I am including of Darryl Lewis's "Slo Gear".

Dale

Attachments

• Front Suspension fully extended.jpg
    Front Suspension fully extended.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 126
  • Front Suspension close-up.jpg
    Front Suspension close-up.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 195
  • Passenger Front Arms.jpg
    Passenger Front Arms.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 161
  • Close-up 3-Link.jpg
    Close-up 3-Link.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 114
  • Rear Quarter.jpg
    Rear Quarter.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 128
  • Passenger View Front Fender.jpg
    Passenger View Front Fender.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 302
  • Ride Height View.jpg
    Ride Height View.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 225
  • Front Fender.jpg
    Front Fender.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 95
OP
OP
bowhunter

bowhunter

Bronco Guru
First......Darryl or Carol, if you are watching, please accept my apologize for unveiling "Slo Gear" the EB community without speaking with you first, but, I just had to show off the paint, dash, and roll cage that Gordon did. This truck is absolutely awesome..........I won't spoil all the fun be explaining all of the goodies on this truck, just let me say that it has some and a few more.

Check out the custom-made roll bar built and custom dash built by Gordon. The paint is incredible on this truck for a "Crawler" and the subtle graphics are really cool.

Dale

Attachments

• Slo Gear5.jpg
    Slo Gear5.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 163
  • Slo Gear4.jpg
    Slo Gear4.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 268
  • Slo Gear3.jpg
    Slo Gear3.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 278
  • Slo Gear2.jpg
    Slo Gear2.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 315
  • Slo Gear.jpg
    Slo Gear.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 198
OP
OP
bowhunter

bowhunter

Bronco Guru
I forgot to mention in my previous photos of Quarter Horse, that it is me standing behind the truck. I am 5'11" and the top of the bed rails hit me at eye level and that is at ride height.

Once again, this IS a beast!!

Big One

Loc.
Bartlesville, Ok
I forgot to mention in my previous photos of Quarter Horse, that it is me standing behind the truck. I am 5'11" and the top of the bed rails hit me at eye level and that is at ride height.

Once again, this IS a beast!!

I just need to clear up a couple things for Dale.

1st. he must be using his old tape measure again. He's no more than 5'2" on a good day, in his boots.;D ;D

2nd. Theres only 1 original "slo gear" and its parked in my shop. Anything else is just an imitation. :cool: :cool:

Just giving ya some crap. Sorry Travis and I couldn't be there to lend a hand dropping the body on, but you know how it is when duty calls. Ya gotsta go.

OP
OP
bowhunter

bowhunter

Bronco Guru
BigOne - Why did you have to go and tell everyone my "real" height? LOL. Imitation or not.....this "slo gear" is bad ars. Just in case your wondering what the tabs are on top of the roll cage, it is for an aluminum top. When are you coming back?

Big One

Loc.
Bartlesville, Ok
BigOne - Why did you have to go and tell everyone my "real" height? LOL. Imitation or not.....this "slo gear" is bad ars. Just in case your wondering what the tabs are on top of the roll cage, it is for an aluminum top. When are you coming back?

Is Darryl going to run a top/rack or just a top?
Hoping to head back home next Friday or Saturday, are you heading to Flat Nasty?

Slight Hijack
I figured out my steering issue(excessive slope and binding). The upper steering box bracket is broken. Letting the box deflect side to side about 4". Nothing a little gusset and a few minutes w/a welder won't cure. Its getting down to it that will take some time.

2Broncos2Go

Bronco Guru
Dale - I don't think I've seen you look prouder - except maybe
when talking about your girls!
and I don't think D & C will mind about the SLO-GEAR Reveal!

Both projects are Awesome!!!!!

OP
OP
bowhunter

bowhunter

Bronco Guru
Bigone - I really don't think I'll make flat nasty. Let me know when you get back and if you want to bring slo gear over for a little welding.

Howie - thanks man.........it is crazy......I'm crazy.......hell we're all crazy aren't we!?! LOL You gotta love this stuff though..........isn't it fun? I can't wait to get it out on the rocks. It starts getting tough when you get to this point......the anticipation and imagination takes over and really messes with your head...........I know all of you know what I'm talking about!!

Dale

howiebilt

Bronco Buddah
Loc.
Newton
Some of my best work was never drawn out or planned . There comes a time when you just have to have an idea and start fabbing it . It will come together just like you envision it as long as you stay focused and don't get distracted by something else on the long list of "things to do " . It's OK to deviate on the list ... you do have a list don't you ? ... but you must finish whatever you start before moving on to something else . I sometimes get caught up in several different things at one time and this will kill a bunch of time , kind of like starting another sub-list . You don't want that .

You have made great progress and it's going to be a fantastic ride !

NOW HURRY UP AND GET BUSY !!!!!!;D ;D ;D

Howiebilt

OP
OP
bowhunter

bowhunter

Bronco Guru
As stated in my last post, Gordon and I were hoping to have the body off to the blaster and starting the tear-down before he left for Mexico........but, as luck would have it or should I say life....that didn't happen.

But - we have made quite a bit of progress.

Update:
Floor tunnel is complete. We had to section in a new piece to the driver side of the tunnel enable to have enough clearance for the clocked atlas and front driveshaft. As you can see in the photos, we were cut the old tunnel out and eliminated the second tier or transition down, into the main floor level. We are extremely happy with the way it turned out and as luck would have it....I will now be able to run my Tuffy console with front cup holders more forward and in a useable position.

Rear shock hoops are built, cross members are welded in place and the shocks are mounted. The only thing left for the rear is to recharge the shocks and we're off to the races.

We have mocked both fenders and grill into place and we have determined what we intend to do with the front. As you can see in the photographs, we're not going to cut as high as we had initially anticipated (good thing). We have determined however that we're going to move the headlight buckets inward 2" to give us a little more room to cut around the grill. The photos of the grill should give you an idea of what we're going to do.

Next, we're going to put the hood on and start building the front hoops. Once the front hoops are in, then we can start building the tubed front clip.

After a few more small things here and there, we will begin the disassembly!!!!

Thanks for looking............Gordon's shop is beginning look more like a broncohut than a Quonset hut!

Dale

Attachments

• Rear Hoop4.jpg
    Rear Hoop4.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 81
  • Rear Hoop3.jpg
    Rear Hoop3.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 102
  • Rear Hoop2.jpg
    Rear Hoop2.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 86
  • Rear Hoop.jpg
    Rear Hoop.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 102
  • Overhead Tunnel View.jpg
    Overhead Tunnel View.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 97
  • Driver Tunnel.jpg
    Driver Tunnel.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 67
  • New Tunnel.jpg
    New Tunnel.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 84
  • Floor Tunnel.jpg
    Floor Tunnel.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 90
OP
OP
bowhunter

bowhunter

Bronco Guru
More pics

Attachments

• Rear Hoop5.jpg
    Rear Hoop5.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 107
  • Front Clip Cut Line.jpg
    Front Clip Cut Line.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 84
  • Grill Cut Line.jpg
    Grill Cut Line.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 86
  • Gordons Shop.jpg
    Gordons Shop.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 168

Mtn Gote

Loc.
Sultan Wa.
Its the heart of the beast though. Personally i'd put a 351 stroker in it. But like '75SPORT said " to each their own." And if you already had the motor then I guess its alright. OK, back to progress!!!
Cory,

Slick

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Petoskey, MI
Its the heart of the beast though. Personally i'd put a 351 stroker in it. But like '75SPORT said " to each their own." And if you already had the motor then I guess its alright. OK, back to progress!!!
Cory,

I agree 100% %)

No question it is going to be a BAD MoFo... but not so much a ford any longer.

I saw a SWEET 32 ford street rod and I even followed it all the way to walmart to check it out! He went to the troublt to have Ford oval center caps for his rims... YET had a Damb chevy motor under the hood!

Turned my opinion of it 100% :cry:

I would agree that the power plant is indeed a nice set-up, I just would think it would have been happier in a K5. :-X

That said, all the work on this rig goes well above and beyond! It is a spare no expence build, and that in and of itself is AWSOME!!! But for that same reason I don't get the bow tie under the hood! ?:?

regardless, SWEET ride, no doubt it'll turn heads and throw mud as well or better than any I've seen yet! Good Work!

:cool:

OP
OP
bowhunter

bowhunter

Bronco Guru
Guys and gals.........I thought we were past the whole "powerplant" thing.........anyway, I understand your comments and I respect your opinions. Like you said......"it is a NO-expense" kind of build......but then again it isn't!!! Know what I mean?? The FULL story of Quarter Horse can be seen and read in detail in an up and coming Bronco Driver story.....but for now, just let me say again.....I had the drivetrain and I could've never built a comparable 351 for under $10K. I opted to spend that 10K elsewhere.

I will say this, however, if it ever croaks.....it WILL get a FORD engine!!

Dale

fatboy

Contributor
Glad to be here.
Loc.
New Hampshire
Damn, that is some serious FAB SKILZ!!! I like, and I am putting a CHebby in my Cruizer so ROCK ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Slick

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Petoskey, MI
I'll chime back in 1 last time ...for a while at-least ;)

I can't say enough how immpressive this build is! I've always thought the rigs they build on Extreme 4x4 are intence... but this even goes beyond what they do!

The fabrication BLOWS my mind, both in how stout is SEEMS to be and the sheer Originality of the parts you've engineer'd!!!

by all means, I am beyond immpressed!! On the 1-10 scale it's an absolute 12! (if ya had an oval under the hood it may have hit as high as 15... but 12 out of 10 is still an OMG rig!)

...but I digress

:cool: