• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bailie Bilt - Project "Quarter Horse" 8-14-08 Pics With Wheels/Tires Finally!!

BroncoJAK

Bronco Guru
I have an idea. Dale, maybe you could start another build thread and leave this one to the opinons of the arm chair builders and web wheelers. Personally and, I know this is another opinon, I'd like to see more about the build and less of everyone elses engine prefrence. Prayers to your family.

cootvon

Loc.
Little Rock, AR
i'm with john. people are always going to give their .02... i'm sure their builds are soooo much better.

i could care less if a hamster is powering that thing. i just have one question...
can i ride in it at ocbr 07 :)

dale, maybe a better idea would be to track the progress on gordon's site. that way people from here can look at pics/info all day long without having to read the negative comments.
jeff

Slick

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Petoskey, MI
?? What is so negitive about say'n if they built it it would be ford powered?

I am about 1000% positive this is WAY beyond tame compaired to what would be said on a cheby site if sum-1 put a hemi in a Vette or even a 460!

It all boils down to what ever the owner wants to do with their property is their business.

:cool:

1975SPORT

Loc.
Hood River, Oregon
I have an idea. Dale, maybe you could start another build thread and leave this one to the opinons of the arm chair builders and web wheelers. Personally and, I know this is another opinon, I'd like to see more about the build and less of everyone elses engine prefrence. Prayers to your family.

Amen, I've been reading all the posts just to make sure I dont miss anything about the build...pics "ON" PLEASE...keep postin about the build.

OP
OP
bowhunter

bowhunter

Bronco Guru
I appreciate the positive comments guys.........I will keep posting pic's. We should have some "real" good ones in the very near future. The engine and tranny are now fabbed to the frame. The crossmember is complete and bolted in. We now have the rear suspension mocked into position........Dana 70.........coiled, four-linked, etc........I think you will like it!! We should have about a 5" rear stretch when done. We are shooting for approximately 105" wheelbase.

Dale

scsm76

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Shaver Lake, CA
Keep up with the up dates, who cares what motor it is Ford isn't building this rig you are.
I am a bit curious in your engine shots is the radiator mounted to the engine?

okorangebrnco

Bronco Guru
Hey what happend to the updates and photos? Its been awhile and no progress updates. Hopefully the build is still goin

Big One

Loc.
Bartlesville, Ok
Hey what happend to the updates and photos? Its been awhile and no progress updates. Hopefully the build is still goin

I was out there thursday picking up some seats. The build is still going, but progress has been stalled a bit to get some other projects finished up and out of the way.

OP
OP
bowhunter

bowhunter

Bronco Guru
We are planning on finishing the rear suspension sometime next week. I'll get some pic's up as soon as there is something new to show.

Dale

OP
OP
bowhunter

bowhunter

Bronco Guru
Finally....finally.....was able to get to Gordon's to see what he's been up to and do a little work myself on project "Quarter Horse".

Got lot's of pics........!

Here's what I can tell you right now; looks like we're going to end up with a wheel base of 109" (YEAH!!). My approach angle will be close to 80 degrees. My ride height will be approx. 33" to the bottom of the frame (remember there is nothing hanging down under this belly). The rear suspension is complete, welded and holding itself. The front suspension is nearly complete. Axle is mocked up, front-lower links are built, the upper 3-link is partially built (waiting on a custom high-misalignment joint). Fox shocks are sitting in the shop and Gordon should be mocking them up in the next couple of days. Front will have 18" of travel (6-8" up & 10-12" down movement). The rear will have 16" of travel. The new Atlas 5.0 is sitting in the box waiting to take the place of the 3.8 currently attached to the drivetrain. My Ramsey 12K winch is here and patiently waiting to fitted to a custom Bailie Bilt bumper (thank you Jeff) and much, much more. Dana 60 front axle with WMS knuckles. Dana 70 Rear Axle with Disk brakes.

We hope to have the body on the chassis within a week or so to start fitting, trimming and building the roll cage, as well as, building the tubed, front-end. It appears as though we will be narrowing the front and much, much more. Paint & Powder coat schemes are finalized and materials have been ordered. The body will have a very unique and wild paint job consisting of white and very dark green (almost black) with BB orange and silver breaker stripes. The frame will be powder coated gray aluminum (silver metal-flake). The removable suspension components will be BB orange and the axles and other stuff will be black. Roll bar, etc. will be a mixture of silver PC and BB orange.

I am WAY beyond getting EXCITED now..........I can't wait.

My hat goes off to Mr. Bailie and many many thanks for the countless hours you've spent on this project and all that you've PATIENTLY been teaching me along the way. It is amazing what you can learn by watching a professional. Gordon is a magician with metal! You amaze me with your talent each time I see your work...................THANKS!!!

Dale

P.S. - Bare with me - I'm having a hellofa time getting pic's to upload.

Attachments

• Overview (2).jpg
    Overview (2).jpg
    236.7 KB · Views: 245
  • R 3 Link (2).jpg
    R 3 Link (2).jpg
    229.3 KB · Views: 210
  • R Rear Brackets (2).jpg
    R Rear Brackets (2).jpg
    245.1 KB · Views: 195
Last edited:
OP
OP
bowhunter

bowhunter

Bronco Guru
Few More.

Attachments

• R Rear Disk (2).jpg
    R Rear Disk (2).jpg
    210.6 KB · Views: 122
  • R Rear Link (2).jpg
    R Rear Link (2).jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 142
  • Atlas 5.0.jpg
    Atlas 5.0.jpg
    206.1 KB · Views: 97
OP
OP
bowhunter

bowhunter

Bronco Guru
More.....

Attachments

• F Front Approach (2).jpg
    F Front Approach (2).jpg
    236 KB · Views: 71
  • F Front Link Bracket (2).jpg
    F Front Link Bracket (2).jpg
    224.8 KB · Views: 82
  • F Lower Arm Bracket (2).jpg
    F Lower Arm Bracket (2).jpg
    246.2 KB · Views: 66
  • F Lower Arms Attached (2).jpg
    F Lower Arms Attached (2).jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 147
  • F Lower Arms Close-up (2).jpg
    F Lower Arms Close-up (2).jpg
    234.6 KB · Views: 73
  • Ride Height (2).jpg
    Ride Height (2).jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 261
OP
OP
bowhunter

bowhunter

Bronco Guru
And MORE

Attachments

• R Rear Link Bracket (3).jpg
    R Rear Link Bracket (3).jpg
    244.4 KB · Views: 59
  • Driver Lower Arm (3).jpg
    Driver Lower Arm (3).jpg
    220.4 KB · Views: 63
  • Driver Lower Arm Rear (3).jpg
    Driver Lower Arm Rear (3).jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 55
  • F Fox Shocks (3).jpg
    F Fox Shocks (3).jpg
    197.2 KB · Views: 84
  • F Front Arms (3).jpg
    F Front Arms (3).jpg
    212.6 KB · Views: 91
  • F Front Lower Arms (3).jpg
    F Front Lower Arms (3).jpg
    192.5 KB · Views: 147
  • F Front View (3).jpg
    F Front View (3).jpg
    217 KB · Views: 80

Big One

Loc.
Bartlesville, Ok
Man its looking great, but I think your links are bent.;D ;D

Who goosed Gordon to get him to grin like that?????????????

But Seriously, it is looking good.

cootvon

Loc.
Little Rock, AR
Man its looking great, but I think your links are bent.;D ;D

Who goosed Gordon to get him to grin like that?????????????

But Seriously, it is looking good.

gordon is giving a seriously evil grin there. i can't wait to see this thing at ocbr. maybe i can scam a ride in it ;D

jeff

deltarat

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Drew,Ms
Bowhunter, thanks for continuing the thread after all the engine comments.Some of us are just interested in good engineering and thinking outside the box. We don't care if you use brakes,trans, trans case, hydros or other parts that aren't ford, as many here have done also. Keep us posted and great work.

OP
OP
bowhunter

bowhunter

Bronco Guru
Todd - You are right - the links ARE bent..........on purpose!! LOL.....aren't they great....Gordon built those in about 2 hours last night while I was plating the rear links. I turned around and there he was holding the link asking "what do ya think?" WOW! The front links will be partially plated to match the back.....can't wait to see what he explained to me!!

Jeff - You look me up at OCBR and I'll give you a ride......be prepared to hold on though!!

Don - You are right about needing a ladder.....and the body will be sitting on a 2" lift as well. I'm going to need some grab handles!!

More pictures soon........might be a week or so....Gordon is heading out this Wednesday for Knoxville and I am heading to Destin on vacation. I'll get some more updates as soon as get back.

Dale