• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Best 5.0 oil pan + why? / pros and cons

SHOBRONCO

I'm in the process of a frame-up restoration on my 77. I have a 5.0 out of a Crown Vic.. Serp. + intake off an Explorer. I have a stock Bronco oil pan and the oil pan from the Crown Vic. I would buy a new Explorer oil pan if its my best option. Let me know the pros and cons of each one and which one you suggest and why. If the explorer is the best, what year? Thanks

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Crown vic pan
+ common
+ easy to find
+ fits
- front drain plug drools on steering during oil change
- holds 1 quarts less then Bronco pan
- has no provision for mounting a dipstick on older engines without dipstick boss

Bronco
+ holds full 6 quarts
+ has dipstick provision for all blocks
+ does not drool on steering during oil change
- dipstick provision tends to be a source of oil leaks
- sometimes difficult to locate one as they are specific to early Broncos

Someone else will need to fill in Explorer pans. Remember there are 2 different Explorer pans, stamped and cast. If you reference them, please specify which one you are referencing.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Cast aluminum Explorer pan fits with the Explorer oil pickup. It holds 5 qts and has the dipstick notch for driver's side through-the-block dipstick. One advantage of the cast pan is the stiffness of the mounting surface. Combine that with a 1-piece gasket and it will be leak-free. Some people say the cast pan is it is prone to cracking but I haven't had it happen yet.

Some 5.0 pans have a low oil level sender hole in the side of the sump.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
I have run Explorer oil pans on both of my Broncos with the 5.0 motors. I recomend them...

Felpro one piece silicon gasket, indents in pan clear D44 housing, holds 5 qts, may need light coat of silicon sealer to assist sealing on each end

F87Z-6675-GA Oil pan
F77Z-6622-CA Oil pick up tube
XL2Z-6754-AA Oil dip stick tube
F67Z-6750-BA Oil dip stick

Application is: 2000 Explorer 5.0 with out low oil level indicator

Doug

Dude you should do a search on "explorer oil pans"

OP
OP
SHOBRONCO

SHOBRONCO

Viperwolf1= what year explorer has the cast pan?
904Bronco= is the pan you gave part # for cast?
Thanks

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
My '98 engine came with a steel pan.

I know of two friends with cast pans (one was a '96 engine, not sure about the other one) that were cracked. One came from the junkyard that way; the Explorer had been involved in a front end collision. The other was trail damage. The latter one surprised me. I always liked the idea of a steel pan, just in case, but the scenario of something getting kicked up and damaging the pan seemed pretty unlikely to me.