• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Body Bushings! HOW THE CRAP... (Update: need more washers!))

DonaldDouchebag

Bronco Guru
Yes, after you get the bolt out or broken there is a 5/8" hole in the floor, if you can find it a 1/2" will do also. The bolt holds the body to the bushing but the stock body mount metel center is made of 2 parts that have 3 tabs that lock together when they are first tightened at the factory. So what you are really doing is cutting the tabs. Just takes a sec.:) I used to use a 5/8" drill bite and that works fine if the bolts come out but if the bolt breaks you have to drill the bolt also. But once I found the 5/8" hole saw life got a lot easier. The hole saw goes arounfd the bolt and just cuts the tabs. I have posted the tip 4-5 time over the last 10 years but got no responce. I am thinking maybe no one understood what I was saying so I gave more detail this time, hope it helps you'll

Awesome. I love finding the easiest solution. I especially love when someone finds the easiest solution for me!

Thanks much!

ransil

Bronco Guru
this guy on ebay makes a body mount hardware kit, its similar to the stock hardware, so there is no dropping washers into the frame.

he has none listed right now but shoot him a note and he will put them up.
it also uses 1/2" bolts

here is his ebay store
ant0290earlybroncosource

ET

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Passenger side one that is under the seat, is by far the most difficult. I've read several ways to do it, the easiest being lube, and it comes right out. Unfortunately, that didn't work for me.

ET - Let me know when you do it and how it goes.

Holly cow those bolts behind the seats are PITA. I tried to get them loose with wrenches but it wasn't happening. I cut them off with the sawzall. I don't recall it being so hard to work on things. I tweaked my back and I'm exhausted so I'm done for the day. I'll start taking them all out tomorrow. Hopefully. Then it's on to alignment. Uh how I look forward in doing that.

Eugene

OP
OP
ObscureMachine

ObscureMachine

Seatbelt Orifice Officer
Loc.
World Headquarters
Holly cow those bolts behind the seats are PITA. I tried to get them loose with wrenches but it wasn't happening. I cut them off with the sawzall. I don't recall it being so hard to work on things. I tweaked my back and I'm exhausted so I'm done for the day. I'll start taking them all out tomorrow. Hopefully. Then it's on to alignment. Uh how I look forward in doing that.

Eugene

Passenger side was the worst. Took me two days and multiple Lorazepam (anti anxiety med!) :eek:

Glad you got them out. But sorry you tweaked your back.

I'm still shimming trying to get everything lined up. Maybe we should just consider door inserts and be done with it!;D

ET

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Passenger side was the worst. Took me two days and multiple Lorazepam (anti anxiety med!) :eek:

Glad you got them out. But sorry you tweaked your back.

I'm still shimming trying to get everything lined up. Maybe we should just consider door inserts and be done with it!;D

Yeah. I can't bend and contort like before. Plus getting under that thing countless time did the trick. If I'd had the cash, I'd gladly pay someone to do it. This experience is for the birds.

I'll be keeping my eye on your progress. I'm kinda thinking maybe it's a good time to get a set of tube doors from rcmbronc.

Eugene