• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Brake Problems!

agirgen

Loc.
Bossier City, LA
I was doing a little brake work and found that I'm not getting any pressure to the rear brakes. After I bleed the front lines, I moved to the rear but couldn't get any fluid to come out and the brake pedal felt nice as stiff... I started disconnecting lines to see if I could get the pedal to give and fluid to come out... I started with the passenger rear at the drum, no change. Drivers rear from the banjo fitting, no change. Skipped up to the line at the master cylinder, disconnected it and no fluid would come out and the pedal felt stiff as ever. I'm guessing that my master cylinder isn't working properly... Question is, what should I check (if there is anything to check) and is it possible to repair a jacked up master cylinder?

Thanks in advance!
A

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
Could be a pinched or blocked line. Another possibility is MC hole blocked. Also check the piston depth in the MC. If its adjusted too far in(toward MC) it could keep fluid from flowing to the rear depending on MC.

TonyPDX

Contributor
You can rebuild many Master Cylinders but it doesn't usually save much money. It sounds like a replacement is in order to me.

Tony

OP
OP
A

agirgen

Loc.
Bossier City, LA
SteveL said:
Could be a pinched or blocked line. Another possibility is MC hole blocked. Also check the piston depth in the MC. If its adjusted too far in(toward MC) it could keep fluid from flowing to the rear depending on MC.

I don't think any lines are blocked because I get the same results with the line disconnected from the MC. So, how do I check/adjust the piston depth??

ken75ranger

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Troy, NY
agirgen said:
I don't think any lines are blocked because I get the same results with the line disconnected from the MC. So, how do I check/adjust the piston depth??
I would just replace the M/C. If the pedal feels good and there's no fluid coming out with the line disconnected there's a blockage in it.

Last edited:

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The rebuild kits for the master cylinder are more then a replacment master cylinder. If you want to spend more money and have less reliable brakes, rebuild it yourself. If you want a rebuilt master cylinder that has all the machine work done and want to save money and time, get another master cylinder.