• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bronco Build for Moab 2009 Extended Mix, Labor Day?

OP
OP
rjlougee

rjlougee

Bronco Guru
Hey Joe, that neighborhood looks familiar. ;D I like the build. What ever happened to the narrowed rig you were working on last time I was at your place?

I sold it a couple years ago so I could get the buggy going. I was having so much fun wheeling I wasn't spending any time in the shop.
Joe

OP
OP
rjlougee

rjlougee

Bronco Guru
Got the rear extended wheel tubs at the 80% solution, still need some final welding and grinding to get flat.

PassWheelTub6.jpg

DrvrWheelTub3.jpg

OP
OP
rjlougee

rjlougee

Bronco Guru
Spent a little more "quality time" with the Bronco this week, had to post some pics.

Here's a good pic of how the engine looks:
Eng1.jpg

OP
OP
rjlougee

rjlougee

Bronco Guru
The "brown Santa" brought me some bling, Bilstein 7100s, # AK7114SB04. 255/70, short body 14" remote reservoir.

Shcoks1.jpg

OP
OP
rjlougee

rjlougee

Bronco Guru
Got the transmission crossmember done, I think it'll hold it all together.

TrannyXmbr1.jpg

OP
OP
rjlougee

rjlougee

Bronco Guru
And test fit the new "Rock-Skis" in place. 1/8" 2" x 6" rectangular tube, cut at 45 degrees at each end and capped.

RockSkis1.jpg

ET

Contributor
Bronco Guru
rjlougee.

Do you have a side picture of the drive train? To me, the pictures looks like the motor/trans/tc is sitting at a tilt from front to back. Mines got a 9 degree tilt front to back and I'm worried it's too much. Especially w/ a automatic trans.

Eugene

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
Looks great joe. What long arms are you running, any pics of those? Is the exploder front dress difficult to adapt to fit the 351 or is it a simple longer belt and a few shim's deal?

OP
OP
rjlougee

rjlougee

Bronco Guru
rjlougee. Do you have a side picture of the drive train? To me, the pictures looks like the motor/trans/tc is sitting at a tilt from front to back. Mines got a 9 degree tilt front to back and I'm worried it's too much. Especially w/ a automatic trans. Eugene

I do not have a side view with me right now and I'm down in Texarka, TX till tomorrow. I'll try and post one when I get back.

As far as the angle, yes, it does have a fairly significant angle. I can measure it over the weekend and post the number, but I like where it sits as is.

There are a number of different transmission isolator mounts available (with varying heights) and I tried to pick one of the "middle" ones for the initial install and if I need to move it up or down a bit I can swap them and change the angle.
Joe

OP
OP
rjlougee

rjlougee

Bronco Guru
Looks great joe. What long arms are you running, any pics of those? Is the exploder front dress difficult to adapt to fit the 351 or is it a simple longer belt and a few shim's deal?

I'm going to build my own long arms. I had planned all along to build my own. I'll post up on the build when I get there.

This is the regular 351W front dress, although the Explorer dress is fairly easy to install. It's all bolt on, except you need to rebalance the harmonic balancer if used with an older 302 or with a 351W.
Joe

OP
OP
rjlougee

rjlougee

Bronco Guru
Joe, Just curious why no 4 link in the rear? I ask because I'm sure you have a good answer!;D

I love a good 4 link, but I don't need it on this rig. My design idea was to make the most capable rig I can, that I can drive all over, including long trips on the street, yet still retain excellent street manners. I still have the buggy for the extreme stuff, but I wanted to be able to drive this to SOB (1400+ miles), wheel it around and drive it back home, all in relative comfort.

My personal opinion: until you decide that your "normal" wheeling requires you to minimize the body panels, you might as well stick with leaf springs in the back. By making these 6" longer than stock they should allow great flex and a nice ride.
Joe

ET

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks. I would like to see some side shots when you get a chance to post them. BTW, you drive train is bad ass.

Eugene

OP
OP
rjlougee

rjlougee

Bronco Guru
Here's a pic of the frame/drivetrain from the side. It does look pretty sloped to the rear, but it's easy enough to space the isolator up a bit once it's all together.
Joe
FrameSide1.jpg