• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bronco Buildup Help

bdrake1

Loc.
texarkana
I HAVE A 71 BRONCO THAT HAS A STOCK 302 3 INCH LIFT,3 SPEED TRANS, AND 35 IN TIRES.I THINK MY GEARS ARE 3.50.I WANT TO BUILD A GOOD MUD AND TRAIL RIG.THERE WONT BE ANY ROCKCRWALING INVOLVED.WHERE IS THE FIRST PLACE YOU GUY WOULD START TO BUILD,MOTOR, DRIVETRAIN,TRANSMISSION?WHAT STEPS SHOULD I TAKE.

Jeepster

Bronco Guru
Mud is tough on a rig. Esp deep mud. I would have to say all of the above. Only because of the old addage; "its only as strong as the weakest link"

Dan

$$PIT

Loc.
The OC, CA
It sounds like you're not doing a complete teardown all at once and maybe want to drive it between projects (?). I think it depends on the condition of your running gear. If anything is causing problems or concerns, I would address that first. Assuming things seem equally solid (or sort of solid), I might go with doing the axles/diffs 1st to get lower gearing for those 35's. Decide on what tranny and tire size you eventually want before you change ratios. One opinion.

Jeepster

Bronco Guru
bdrake1 said:
I KNOW BUT WHERE FIRST

There is no good answer here.
"MOTOR, DRIVETRAIN,TRANSMISSION"????

Well you need lower gears for the 35's
Mud requires power/torque and speed= Stronger motor
Stronger motor puts more stress on the drivetrain= stronger axles,u joints......
You will also want to be taller than the mud hole your driving through= lift, bigger tires,lower gears
traction is a big plus=lockers
It goes on and on....for everything you change, you must change something else. It all depends on how you beat on the rig. For every 20 guys that reply, you will get 20 different answers.

Take your pick, build one up and break the others. Its never ending.
If you have to pic one do the gears.

xbanone

IMO, i would start with gears and upgrade anything you think you need to in the axle department, i would suggest 4:56 gears and some type of locker, you sound like you have a start in the lif/tires department so your good for there now, next after the gears i would go with new transmisson, probably an NP435, then start building on the engine, maybe upgrade to a 351w.....like jeepster said your gonna get 20 different answers so start from the weakest link and move on from there......

Brady

Jeepster

Bronco Guru
Something else to think about. The lower in the gears you go the weaker the gear tooth.;)

JaxLax

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Jacksonville, FL
pretend to have finished building, then drive it like that. then fix whatever breaks first. ;D my order: tranny (now a C6) gears (4.56 w/ detroit in back), dreaming of a new motor....but waiting to bust something.

Breaking things is NOT a chance to replace, but a green light to UPGRADE. ;)

OldieTwoShoes

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Raleigh, NC
first off how much are you willing to spend, but i would say lower gears first, and throw in a locker while you have them apart.

kens71

Loc.
Sumter, S.C.
"Take your pick, build one up and break the others. Its never ending.
If you have to pic one do the gears. "
The advice from Jeepster, you should read like gospel. After i finally changed gears,I found that helped other stuff.I.E. the lower gears relieved stress on the transand it ran much cooler and made the motor "seem" much stronger. When you install the new gears drop in a locker at least in the rear.I'm still running a mini spool and stock axles.When they go I'll beef it up. Like Jeepster said Just keep upgrading as you tear something else up.Aint that how life is?!Ken

ricks77eb

Loc.
Deer Park, Texas
I know that this is not the typical belief but I say build the motor first and it will take care of telling you what is next.

Basically put the horsepower to it then drive it like you stole it and the next weakest link will surface.

Rick