• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bronco Safari 2011, May 1-8

OP
OP
sstclair

sstclair

We just have a handful of registrations so far. I have heard from a bunch of people. They will get it done, hopefully sooner than later.
-Steve

OP
OP
sstclair

sstclair

Most important to get that rig done.. I have no doubt you'll make it.

My69Pony

I'm going to try to make the Safari this year, I hope to be there 5-8 if all goes well. I still have several things to make the Bronco Moab worthy, but all my time is tied up in getting the Racing Bronco ready for FFF in April. After the show is over I'll start thinking about the "Forgotten Bronco". I haven't been to Moab since I was a teenager, I'm looking forward to it.
Brian

OP
OP
sstclair

sstclair

Hey Steve,
How is everything going? Not much time left for the Safari!! Do you have the trails planned? Need anything?
Yep, the Safari is coming up fast! And no we don't have the trail list firmed up yet, expect my phone call so we can firm up the primary and then alternate picks. Nobody knows the trails as well as you. I have been dragging my feet mostly hoping to get a good feel from the registrations as to what type of trails will best suit us. We are still set on 2 trails/day at least, again depending on the number of rigs that count should go up. The minimums will be a milder one, a more challenging one, and then maybe a special one for the Canoooks.

OP
OP
sstclair

sstclair

Anybody up for night runs? Peggy might kill me for even offering them up but I am pretty sure there's not a chance in hell she'll go out on another one with me. So I am thinking I am pretty safe.

broncomitch

Bronco Guru
Loc.
west jordan, utah
im not a big fan of the night run's. had a bad experience on one and im just not into it. almost died :(

as for trails i might stick on the mild one's or one a day. with the efi not being tested and the bronco it self not being tested that much and the fact i need to drive it there and back home,i better take it easy....

P.S. IF ANYONE WILL BE ABLE TO TOW MY BRONCO PLEASE LET ME KNOW! ill help with gas of course

OP
OP
sstclair

sstclair

im not a big fan of the night run's. had a bad experience on one and im just not into it. almost died :(

as for trails i might stick on the mild one's or one a day. with the efi not being tested and the bronco it self not being tested that much and the fact i need to drive it there and back home,i better take it easy....

P.S. IF ANYONE WILL BE ABLE TO TOW MY BRONCO PLEASE LET ME KNOW! ill help with gas of course

It would definitely not be a sanctioned trail ride and I think the way you do as far as Fins and Things or one of the other milder trails anyway. It's mostly about the adrenaline junky in some of us..

My69Pony

I plan to be there 5-8th and would love to run some challenging trails, but this year all the time and money has gone into the racer. The Bronco I will be taking has 35" tires but I'm still running the stock 3-speed and 3.50 gears. The frontend is still the Dana 30 but it does have a locker of some sort. Will there be some decent yet not overly challenging trails to run each day? By the way, when do we have to register by?
Brian

cracker

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pueblo, Colorado
I plan to be there 5-8th and would love to run some challenging trails, but this year all the time and money has gone into the racer. The Bronco I will be taking has 35" tires but I'm still running the stock 3-speed and 3.50 gears. The frontend is still the Dana 30 but it does have a locker of some sort. Will there be some decent yet not overly challenging trails to run each day? By the way, when do we have to register by?
Brian

I may be able to answer your questions, if I am wrong, Steve will let me know!!;) There will/should be a challenging trail every other day, if not every day. Depends on the amount of participants. There are at least 7-8 3+ trails. And for those that really want a challenge, you have Pritchett Canyon and Area BFE. Both require modified rigs ONLY! As long as your vehicle is running properly and without mechanical/heating issues, you can run pretty much any trail w/ 35's and at least (1) locker. The main thing is that your vehicle can crawl around for hours w/out overheating, that seems to be the biggest challenge for most. Bring ALOT of water on the trails and plan for a long day (worst case scenario). We are usually back in the early afternoon, except for Golden Spike, can be early or very late... The more people that register NOW, helps to determine trails and such.... That way, those that are planning the event know what is needed beforehand. It helps alot to register ASAP!

OP
OP
sstclair

sstclair

Brian

Here's my opinion,.. "Bring what ya got, and run what ya brung." You will not regret it.

Really, there will be both a mild and more difficult trail each day. Yours sounds like it fits in between. 35's on a dana 30, you'll have stay out of the skinny pedal, Even some of the more difficult trails can be run with just limited slips and finess. The fact that you don't have low gearing probably help keep you from breaking things with a lot less torque getting to the ground. Most obstacles have bypasses, If there's a lot of wheel spin and/or bouncing you'll want to avoid them.
Many of us carry spare parts but there won't be a lot for the d30. It would be worth a call to Dusty Sexton or some of the other vendors to see if they have some stock shafts laying around just in case. Just guessing, I bet they about give them away. If you happen to break one on the trail, it's only a few minutes to swap them out.

* and what Cracker says!
-Steve

Last edited:

My69Pony

Thanks for the information. Actually I wouldn't mind too much if I did do some damage to the D30. I have a D44 that I need to rebuild, but as long as the D30 holds up I’m finding it hard to put the money into the D44. Now on the other hand if the D30 were to break, the D44 might have to be pushed forward a bit. About two years back while still living in North Carolina I took the Bronco out with the express purpose of breaking the D30 and came home with a torn to pieces 9”, go figure.

PhantomEB

Loc.
Calgary, Alberta
A special run for the boys up north... do tell!

5 weeks and counting, yet here we sit, 42s on the way, axles ordered later this week, 60 not even built yet as we waiting on the locker still...

And all the little shit to do.

Hell we aint even ordering the EFI kit til April 1st.....

cracker

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pueblo, Colorado
A special run for the boys up north... do tell!

5 weeks and counting, yet here we sit, 42s on the way, axles ordered later this week, 60 not even built yet as we waiting on the locker still...

And all the little shit to do.

Hell we aint even ordering the EFI kit til April 1st.....

Between sleeping and drinking, how do you find the time to work??????:?;D;D