• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bronco stretch

Jack

About to stretch a build and was initially planning 12'. I've started to think about it a bit more and since it's going to happen in the next month now I wanted to reach out here for any thoughts. I was thinking that 12 might be a bit too much and if doing 10 why not 12 then I thought why not 8 . Doing 8 would get me to 100 and then the custom soft top may not be so strange looking and I must admit I'm equally doing the stretch for a little more room as well as for the rocks and playing with just a bit more wheel base. Anyone have pro or con to this idea of stretching I may have not considered?

kb6677

Contributor
Bronco Guru
My '68 is stretched 12" and has a custom soft top. I am attaching a pic of the rig with the top. We wanted to end up with a wb of 106. Moved the rear axle back 2" in addition to 12" added in a custom frame. This rig was originally built for trails and we had good luck with a brand X rig at 106wb. Real world the 106 is great for climbing ledges etc...We added 12" of the bedrail and upper sheetmetal behind the b piller from a donor tub to maintain the body line. Had to fill in the gap at the bottom with new sheet metal. I enjoy having room for a factory rear bench and a gear box behind it. Feel free to ask specifics.

Attachments

• New Krawlers.JPG
    New Krawlers.JPG
    69 KB · Views: 197
  • Outerlimits.JPG
    Outerlimits.JPG
    68 KB · Views: 175

Bluelimo

Loc.
Providence, UT
I stretched mine 16". It rides nice and has room enough for an extra row of seats for kids, but it sure doesn't turn as sharp as it used to. I finished it in 2005, not long after the jeep unlimited was released, and I remember hearing people call it a Bronco Unlimited. I just posted some build pictures in the gallery if you want to see what an extra 16" looks like with a hard top on.

treihesse

Bronco Guru
I'm sitting at 101 102" right now and plan to push the front another 6 to 8 when I do full hydro.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
My '68 is stretched 12" and has a custom soft top. I am attaching a pic of the rig with the top. We wanted to end up with a wb of 106. Moved the rear axle back 2" in addition to 12" added in a custom frame. This rig was originally built for trails and we had good luck with a brand X rig at 106wb. Real world the 106 is great for climbing ledges etc...We added 12" of the bedrail and upper sheetmetal behind the b piller from a donor tub to maintain the body line. Had to fill in the gap at the bottom with new sheet metal. I enjoy having room for a factory rear bench and a gear box behind it. Feel free to ask specifics.

Sharp sharp. :) Hope to do the same some year