• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Build Thread - Project Cortez

OP
OP
strebel

strebel

Trans, motor, ecu, gauges, suspension, fan, rad, steering pump, gas tank, brake lines, etc all arrived. Stilling waiting on the front and rear axles and brakes to really get started. Desert classic mustangs in Scottsdale sent me some pics of the body - will be ready next week. They did some mods to the firewall to fit the gen3 Coyote and built a custom shelf for the ecu to live behind the dash.

Have More parts than time at the moment.
42f745c664cd5057487aaa2e02e7ace3.jpg

291fee57845b6ae914a5d269e4b3113f.jpg

9eaa67036e9ddf9ffbfc0d238cb9f433.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Looks sharp.....

Trans, motor, ecu, gauges, suspension, fan, rad, steering pump, gas tank, brake lines, etc all arrived. Stilling waiting on the front and rear axles and brakes to really get started. Desert classic mustangs in Scottsdale sent me some pics of the body - will be ready next week. They did some mods to the firewall to fit the gen3 Coyote and built a custom shelf for the ecu to live behind the dash.

Have More parts than time at the moment.
42f745c664cd5057487aaa2e02e7ace3.jpg

291fee57845b6ae914a5d269e4b3113f.jpg

9eaa67036e9ddf9ffbfc0d238cb9f433.jpg

OP
OP
strebel

strebel

Holy moly.. Only a few parts left on backorder. The 3rd member from BC Broncos, and still waiting on the fully built currie dana 44 for the front (via duff). Have not really done a single thing all summer just waiting for parts (and life got in the way).

The Atlas II arrived yesterday, and the Wilwood brakes a couple weeks back. Everything was ordered in April.

I have nearly an entire bronco, in pieces, in boxes. lol.

Look forward to diving in.

ngsd

Bronco Guru
I know how that goes! How was your experience with the shop that built the body? We have been looking for local recommendations for someone. Thanks

OP
OP
strebel

strebel

I know how that goes! How was your experience with the shop that built the body? We have been looking for local recommendations for someone. Thanks

The team over at desert classics seemed on the ball. Asked me several questions about motor type and such to make sure they built it as needed. (Adjusted the innner fenders etc)

They started about 3 weeks later then scheduled (said they moved shops) but other than that was prompt delivery and easy shipping right to my door. (Storage unit)

All the lines and gaps look good. However it definitely needs the “these are all aftermarket stamps” body finishing work done. They were clear as day though I was not paying for or receiving a bodyworked body. Everything is in primer or epoxy coat and just waiting for me.

Overall very pleased.

OP
OP
strebel

strebel

Finally got all the parts I was waiting on - and life has settled down a bit.

New spring and shock towers, and radius arm mounts installed.

Does anyone have some measurements for the duff dual sport 4 link. Since I have a bare frame at this point can’t really set ride height with any weight.

Would we great to have a measurement from floor to bottom of frame rail near the bump stop mount measurement. 2.5 lift on 35s.

Center of axle to floor around 17inchs right? Assuming 35s and little a squish in the sidewall.

ff10fa1afe18494b08cac9643fac144f.jpg

7fe4964ab352c05a6a0573851ec24d21.jpg

Last edited:

.94 OR

Bronco Guru
Center of axle to floor around 17inchs right? Assuming 35s and little a squish in the sidewall.

The manufacturer should have data on actual tire diameter which is usually not in synch with the actual tire size.

OP
OP
strebel

strebel

The manufacturer should have data on actual tire diameter which is usually not in synch with the actual tire size.
BFGs K02 = 34.53 inflated diameter. Thanks.

And ideas on ride height with 2.5 inch lift and these tires?

JeffG

Contributor
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
Sorry, can't help you on the ride height with that particular set-up, but a very common lift and tire size so someone will chime in. If not, hit up Monster Mike at Duffs as the "Duck Tuff" suspension set up they offer is 2.5" and the guy that helped them put that together has 35" tires.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The measurements we’ve used most often in the last few years were simple ones taken between the bottom of the frame rails and the top of the axle tubes.
I would think that no matter what type of suspension you’re running, those measurements should remain consistent.

For a 2 1/2 suspension lift those measurements would be 9 1/2 in front and 8 1/2 in the back.

I use them as approximate numbers as well. Give or take half an inch.

OP
OP
strebel

strebel

Question on pinion angle for rear end mock-up.

The instructions with the duff 4-link says : “the truss is designed for 12-13 degree pinion angle when installed with 2.5/3.5 lift.. link ends allow 5 degrees adjustment”

So - I don’t have the trans, transfer case, or engine in so I’m going a bit blind here..

So am I assume the 13 degrees mentioned above is just the rear end angle?

If so.. what I have done is tacked the truss so the spring perches are level or 0 degrees (green line), and the front face of the housing is at 77 degrees (yellow line) .. which is 13 degrees from vertical leaned back - left side of image is front of vehicle. See image.

Am I crazy - or close?

965be6c36cb2ad6690accf8d9cfcdda0.jpg

Last edited:

RODRIG3911

Contributor
Loc.
Tucson

strebel, I'm not sure what they meant by it being set up for 12-13 degrees of pinion angle, but the pinion angle needs to be pointed 1-3 degrees lower then drive shaft angle with full weight of the Bronco.... I just welded on new purches recently, and welded them right a 2 degrees after talking with Mark from our CBOT group. I don't think it matters, but I am running leafs on the rear​

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Nice looking build. On all of that drive angle stuff you are really just guessing until you have the transfer case in place. Little tack welds at this point. Chances are its all going to move. I see you burned in the radius arm mounts. The position of those may not change but until you get that atlas clocked up where you want it you will not know. With the 2.5'' lift it sounds like more of a pavement ride with some trails mixed in. That said you may not be all that interested in how high up into the frame you can get the atlas. With a little tail housing movement to the passenger side you can get that transfer case up a little higher. I dont know if your interested in any of this and Im sure you want to get things done. But at this point even with educated guesses at drive angles and the lot, a tack weld is your best friend. Have fun with it.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Absolutely to all of the above. You can’t know…
Even Duff doesn’t know because they build that kit for Broncos in general. Not for your specific bronco with your specific engine transmission and transfer case and lift height combination. Correct installation is up to the installer only, and really only when everything is in place and sitting at ride height.
The 5° of adjustment is just for fine-tuning after you get it as close as you can.

The 1° to 3° down bubble is primarily for leaf spring setups. A four-link can actually get away with 0° because in theory there is just minimal angle change when in use. But I’d prefer to see at least one degree built in.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Absolutely to all of the above. You can’t know…
Even Duff doesn’t know because they build that kit for Broncos in general. Not for your specific bronco with your specific engine transmission and transfer case and lift height combination. Correct installation is up to the installer only, and really only when everything is in place and sitting at ride height.
The 5° of adjustment is just for fine-tuning after you get it as close as you can.

The 1° to 3° down bubble is primarily for leaf spring setups. A four-link can actually get away with 0° because in theory there is just minimal angle change when in use. But I’d prefer to see at least one degree built in.

X2.....