• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bumpers: Powder Coating or Painting?

Better for Bumpers?

• Powder Coating

Votes: 8 28.6%
  • Painting

Votes: 17 60.7%
  • Neither (explain please).

Votes: 3 10.7%

• Total voters

HotWheels

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Twilight Zone
James Duff told me it was better to powdercoat the bumper because of moisture in paints.

How do you "touch-up" powder coat?

Need to figure out what to do with my rapidly rusting rear bumper....

:eek:

thanx,

mick

Last edited:

adunham

Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
My powdercoater tells me to touch up with off the shelf paints - I use Rustoleum Stops Rust enamels when the situation arises. For scuffs they recommend Lemon Pledge, oddly enough.

74bob

Loc.
Broomfield,CO
I sprayed both my Duff's bumpers with Rustoleum primer and satin paint. It takes a while for it to dry but does a great job. Rock repair is easy too.

House

Minutia Militia
Mine are painted while I "use" my Bronco.
If I ever decide to make it pretty and not 4x it I'll powdercoat them...

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Rustolem rusty red metal primer then rustolem paint on top for me. everyone I know that 4 wheels gets powdered coated bumpers and then wants to weld something on them ruining a nice powder coat job. I scratch my paint all the time and easy touch up but with powder coat it is harder to damage but when it does then you have a real problem.

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
Rattlecan it. Rustoleum will do fine.

You're in Hawaii now.. Salt air is what you breath.. Come over and take a look at my powdercoated stuff I bought from Duffs, They are all peeling off, All it takes is a little scratch to start.

If I could buy the products uncoated with a discount I would go that route and paint them myself. Plus it's much easier to repair/touch-up.

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
Tapp Daddy said:
What about Rhino or Line-x? Might not look AS pretty, but should be tough enough.
Cost for 2 cans of Rustoleum is $10.
To Rhino line or Lava line or Line-X a bumper would be lot more than that........

joser

Loc.
Chesterfield, MI
I agree with the rattle can Rustoleum. I had my cage powdercoated and I already have 2 nicks and want to weld on Hi-lift mounts but cannot bring myself to mess up the powdercoat.

If you are going to powdercoat something, you are married to not changing it and not being able to touch it up easily.

Oh, and cost is no comparison.