• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Buying and paying long distance.

JasonP718

Loc.
Long Island, NY
Hi All.
I’m buying my 2nd bronco but this time it’s cross country and from an individual (1st time was through a shop). I’ve read a ton of articles about scams that have me a bit wary. Can someone explain the safest way to do the transaction assuming not in person? Is using a service like escrow.com the way to go where the funds are in an account and I release payment when vehicle as promised arrives. Or should owner sign over title and once I receive it wore the funds? I’m sure someone here has much more experience than I do ;). Thanks in advance for the help! What is the best process for both?

Pops68

Contributor
Bronco Rookie
Loc.
Bazetta Township
I bought mine in 2010 from Oregon (I live in Ohio) sight unseen, but had a good walk around video and several long phone calls with the seller. NO surprises when I FINALLY got it - shipping was the problem! Took 'forever' to get here and the shipping company didn't respond quickly to my concerns/calls once I paid them in full.

I used PayPal (not friends/family) and paid the extra fees to the seller, so I felt protected if there was an issue. It was under $10,000 back then.

How much are you spending on the Bronco?? That would be a big concern for me today with the prices.....Mine likely would have translated to $20-$25,000 in todays markets. Way to many scams to trust with that much $$$ - for me at least.

Try to find an experienced/knowledgeable member here who lives close and is willing to check it out for you prior to buying.
A lot more "lipstick on a pig" issues today than back then.

If it is a high value purchase, fly/drive out and look at it in person and pay then, and drive it/tow it home.

Hope this helps some.

Pops

OP
OP
J

JasonP718

Loc.
Long Island, NY
Good advice. I’m going to try and have a friend who lives about an hour away go take a look. Hopefully he can.... if not, I’m not sure what plan B is.

TNcowboy

Agreed on the in person transaction. It's a comparatively small investment to divert a major loss

Good luck with the purchase

amfw

well, I listened to all the advice here... and did it anyway haha. But now I get to write about my experience in case others end up using this thread as a reference in their own search.

I have the same concerns as anyone here would about buying a bronco that i haven't seen in person, and conducting a transaction with a stranger in another state. I worried that the vehicle would be less than advertised, or that the seller would use the opportunity to defraud me. I in NO WAY would say that my plan was foolproof. If it was, I wouldn't have been half as nervous as I was today. But it addressed my concerns well enough that I felt comfortable taking the risk. So here is what I did.
The bronco I was after was in Louisiana. I am in Massachusetts. I got lots of pics and video from the seller. I also gleaned as much information from googling him as possible. I found his address and used imagery from google satellite to confirm that the photos he sent were in fact taken at his home. This was easy because he had some easily distinguishable features like a barn and a boat. He also was associated with a business and one of the videos he sent me was taken in front of that business. My FB stalking of him also had a photo of him that was posted by the local PD , thanking him for his donation of a cake. At this point, I was well satisfied that he did in fact own the vehicle and wasn't just a dude posting pics and phishing for money.
We discussed escrow for the transaction very briefly, but even as a buyer, the reviews didn't seem like something that would make an easy pitch for him.
I have a friend in New Orleans, which is about 1.5 hours from him. I got in touch with her, and she got in touch with her friend who has an auto shop down there, and I enlisted both of them to handle the transaction on my behalf. Once the truck was off the trailer, she would hold the title, while I did a wire transfer. He would confirm the transfer of funds, and everyone would be cool.
It didnt quite go that way... but mostly. He arrived on time with the truck. My friend went through the checklist I gave her for verifying title and vin and condition of truck, but, we had been made aware that the wire transfer would take possibly a couple hours.... NOT part of the plan.... The seller and I discussed, and my bank told me that within an hour, a federal reference number would be generated which I could provide to the seller, and his bank could use that to locate and determine the final destination of the money. So we agreed that I would do the transfer, and he would leave for lunch with the title, and the bronco would stay with my friends until the money went through and he would come back with the title. After a mentally harrowing hour, I started wading through bank of America's phone menu to retrieve the fed reference number. I got it, and provided the number to the seller. And then he said exactly what you don't want to hear.... "My bank doesn't see the money". He asks if maybe there is someone at my bank that can talk with his bank to figure it out, so I race back to the branch (theres a nor'easter here right now BT) and get there 30 minutes before they close, only to find that they have packed up and gone home for some reason or another. I screamed a little, maybe a lot. I get back in my truck, and start looking for other banks that are open, when my phone rings. It's the seller. I almost don't take the call in my frenzy, but I hit answer anyway. He says, "Hey man, the money went through". I haven't breathed a bigger sigh of relief in my life.
So, I have a Bronco, and its the one that I want. But I definitely understand all those that say, "I did, and I don't know if I would again".

Pops68

Contributor
Bronco Rookie
Loc.
Bazetta Township
A $5,000-$10,000 project may not be too bad if there are problems but $50,000+ spent on something that is "not as promised/expected" could be a major downer. Have read many threads where the buyer expected something, but ends up doing major repairs to drivetrain, body, suspension, etc and has possibly doubled (or more) his initial investment.

amfw

I will say that shipping was the least painful part of it. Thats not to say the shipper did anything that gave me any sort of confidence that they get it right all or even most of the time, but I paid for my bronco on a Monday, it was picked up on a Wednesday in Louisiana, and in my driveway in Boston on Friday. That was great, I don't know if my heart could have handled weeks of unanswered calls with my Bronco just out there somewhere

subjb1

I will say that shipping was the least painful part of it. Thats not to say the shipper did anything that gave me any sort of confidence that they get it right all or even most of the time, but I paid for my bronco on a Monday, it was picked up on a Wednesday in Louisiana, and in my driveway in Boston on Friday. That was great, I don't know if my heart could have handled weeks of unanswered calls with my Bronco just out there somewhere

Which shipping company did you use? I’m about to purchase on several states away and I’m looking for a good shipping outfit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Once again folks, $1000 round trip plane ticket across the country, maybe cheaper, be back next evening. All issues solved being there in person.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Good advice. I’m going to try and have a friend who lives about an hour away go take a look. Hopefully he can.... if not, I’m not sure what plan B is.

definitely the best way, or someone on here in the area that would potentially check it out for you

Broncobowsher

Total hack
When I sold mine I offered for the buyer to fly out and see it in person. If he bought, price of the ticket off the sale price. You can get a lot of cheap flights in and out of Phoenix most of the time.

In the end we did a bank wire transfer. Small service charge. Direct bank to bank, no BS 3rd party involved. It would have been even easier if we both used the same bank.

Buyer arranges shipping. Seller needs to be accommodating to when the shipper can pick up.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Once again folks, $1000 round trip plane ticket across the country, maybe cheaper, be back next evening. All issues solved being there in person.

THIS....^^^^^^^.Just fly and verify......I flew to get my Shelby. I drove to get my 69 Mach 1. Paid $500 to hold the Shelby (long story) and nothing to hold the Mach 1. One way U-haul rental from location back home. 24 hour round trip no sleep. It was fun......Drove the Shelby home = FUNNER :)

To the OP...What's a "long distance" ?

I suggest SouthWest or some off carrier for cheap tickets. Else roll the bones and cross your fingers. It's your money.....I work hard for mine and don't take kindly to those that TRY and take it.

Tim

amfw

Again, I dont think my good luck translates to them being a "good" company necessarily, but I used Montway. They all seem to basically work in the same manner, which is to take your shipment and connect you with a driver. I just got lucky that there was someone able to take up my trip really quickly. My guy was a dude named Dimitri that loaded my bronco onto a car hauler behind a pickup truck while wearing flip flops and shorts. He bought some Celtics sweatpants by the time he got to Boston :).

I also kind of agree that it is madness to go about the transaction this way, but if you read my post, I felt more comfortable after digging deep on the seller, and having someone there to take possession of the truck and the title. If it weren't covid times, I would have gotten on a plane to go see it and do the deal. My girlfriend wasn't too hot on that, and was even less impressed when I started talking about driving down

Broncobowsher

Total hack
A near by friend is good too. I had a friend ask me to look over a 911 locally for him. Lots of pictures, looked good, but the deal never happened.

billh1289

Contributor
Loc.
Jackson, NJ
I bought all but my most recent in person. This one I bought just when covid started so I wasn’t able to go see it. Lots of questions, pics and video. I used escrow.com and thought it was great. If I was jammed up in the future I would use it again. Shipping was a nightmare for me though. Cross country from the middle of nowhere and again the covid thing...

OP
OP
J

JasonP718

Loc.
Long Island, NY
I bought all but my most recent in person. This one I bought just when covid started so I wasn’t able to go see it. Lots of questions, pics and video. I used escrow.com and thought it was great. If I was jammed up in the future I would use it again. Shipping was a nightmare for me though. Cross country from the middle of nowhere and again the covid thing...

When using escrow.com do you get the vehicle and then trigger payment? And did you use their title service?

Rangerbj

Once you do your google and FB sleuthing (I've done this too, but also include Zillow to check the house). In one case, I saw a picture of the car on his desk. Also calling his boss at work is good too. Still risky

Why not also find a local repair shop with a good reputation, and have the seller take the bronco to them for an inspection. ($100) This way mechanical is checked and vins and title also checked. Sometimes for a little extra money, the shop will hold the bronco for you as the wire transaction takes place, plus they will be the loading point for the transport truck.

Still face to face is best. My buddy lost $20,000 when he sent money to a sight unseen seller. He still feels the pain.

1buckeyefan1

On a related note..be aware of a common scam going around on the FB groups these last few mos.. it's usually a 66 or similar, with some story about how it doesn't run correctly and they 'just want their $$ out of it'. We'll all try to jump on it and the person wants like $1-2k deposit. they'll chat you up, even do a FB phone call.. but won't give you a number. They will request the $$ through FB marketplace.. don't do it! I've seen reports of folks getting scammed out of this almost daily.. different pictures, but same scam.

You can usually tell when they turn off commenting on the FB post.. so we can't warn others that it's a scam.