• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

C4 Transmission leak

Mike74Bronco

Loc.
Sandy, Utah
I have a very leaky C4. It looks like it is coming out between the rear of the transmission and the adapter to the transfer case. Another fun thing I noticed is that when I turn on the engine and let it warm up I will get transmission fluid running down from the top of the transfer case. Is there some sort of overflow valve on the top of the adapter?

The adapter isn't supposed to be filled with transmission fluid is it? So I am guessing that I have a bad seal at the output shaft of the transmission. Is this seal easy to replace? Can I do it without dropping the transmission? I guess I also will need to replace the gasket between the transmission and adapter because that shouldn't leak even if there is tranny fluid in there.

Why is it that I just can't get my bronco back in one piece? Everytime I try to fix something I just find something else that needs fixed!

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Sounds like you've got a leaky seal in the adapter. The seal is double lipped to keep the transmission oil out of the transfer case and the transfer case oil out of the transmission. I've had mine leak transmission fluid into the transfer case and fill it up to the point of running out the vent! Sure makes the transfer case shift smooth.%) From now on I won't put a transfer case back in without changing that seal.

TexasBronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Waterford, MI
Yeah there is a little oil seal that is on the spud shaft in the intermediate housing. Over in the tech article <---- a guy breifly explains how to replace it when he rebuilds his tranny. I just did last week and its fairly easy to do. BC Broncos sell a 'super duty' oil seal which looks as if two seals are formed back to back. Its not listed on the site last I looked, but if you call they may offer it. Itcosts a little bit more but if it lasts longer, then it is worth it in my book.

OP
OP
Mike74Bronco

Mike74Bronco

Loc.
Sandy, Utah
So if I just pull the transfer case and adapter I should be able to throw in a new seal and slap it back together and be good to go? That sounds almost too easy. Think I'll be able to find this seal at a local parts place?

spixican07

Loc.
Houston
wait so the intermediate housing between the transfer case and the c4 should have no type F or gear oil in it? it should be empty?

grs44310

Loc.
Akron, Ohio
Ok so if the intermediate housing between the C4 and D20 is supposed to be filled with fluid, what does it mean when it comes out the vent on top of the intermediate housing?

Mine just started puking fluid out the vent when I drove it to storage for the winter. I had taken it around town two times before this with no issues and I didn't add any fluid before driving it to storage.

grs44310

Loc.
Akron, Ohio
Breather puking trans fluid

Ok so if the intermediate housing between the C4 and D20 is supposed to be filled with fluid, what does it mean when it comes out the vent on top of the intermediate housing?

Mine just started puking fluid out the vent when I drove it to storage for the winter. I had taken it around town two times before this with no issues and I didn't add any fluid before driving it to storage.

Can anyone offer a clue to my question above?
Thanks,
Greg

grs44310

Loc.
Akron, Ohio
Could it over heat just dirving down the freeway without towing anything? It was flat ground and I wasn't beating on it at all.

It might have been to full, I was having a hard time reading the dipstick when I was putting fluid in it. I guess I'll have to check it when it comes back out of storage in the spring.

Thanks,
Greg

TOOL

Loc.
Sparks
How do I drain the fluid out of it with out taking the pan off, I don't have a plug on it?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
How do I drain the fluid out of it with out taking the pan off, I don't have a plug on it?

It's a bit slow, but I have done it a few times. Siphon. Just like stealing some gas (for the lawnmower%) ) You need a smaller diameter hose, down the dipstick hole. Suck on the other end until you get fluid. Keep the other end below the transmission pan and it will siphon out. I have done this when I know I will drop a pan or a transmission and want to get fluid out cleanly. I have also used it to fix some cars that people thought they needed a little more transmission fluid for some reason, Full on the hot mark with a cold transmission. Overfilled transmissions churn oil, make lots of heat and do bad things. If you are luckey all they do is spit up oil. Unluckey and you cook them.

NYLES

Bronco Guru
OK Ill tell you what I found after pulling T case twice.....and the correct answer has been given above mike74bronco you are having the exact leaking issues I had if its coming from the vent it looks exactly like you described.....I found I was running almost 2 quarts to much fluild and after pulling the T case twice we figured this out.

pull your shifter boot have a look at it from the top.

After going too a aftermaket pan and dip stick and listening to others say "4 quarts after a pan drop" then addin an extra for the bigger pan 5 quarts right? more like 3 no more leaks no slippin good to go.

unless your getting x-mission fluild in the Tcase your seal is fine.