• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Charcoal Canister / EVAP Install / Solve Gas Smell

OP
OP
C

CopperBronco

Photo not handy right now but just mounted up near front hood vent hole/firewall… had to cut bracket to mount there flush. Or as other guy said, just make one… just don’t want to come loose 😀.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You can literally mount it anywhere that’s as high up as you can get it.
At least one member here mounted his in the corner on the driver side. Most mount them where that last picture shows, and that’s approximately where Ford mounted it in 76 and 77.
The top screw went through the top lip at the pinch weld, and there was a small bracket welded on lower that caught the lower edge of the tank.

A friend mounted his up in the front passenger wheel well because his firewall was full of electronics.
Works great, is out-of-the-way and well protected behind his shock hoop.

OP
OP
C

CopperBronco

@Bronco_007 here are photos of mine… both engine bay and rollover valve. My rollover valve should be more secured with a bracket to floor pan, but it’s been a pavement princess… need to bracket it up sometime…

Attachments

• 3E7342B0-4C07-4570-A5BE-6A4A2C94B83A.jpeg
    3E7342B0-4C07-4570-A5BE-6A4A2C94B83A.jpeg
    217 KB · Views: 130
  • 7D13F00D-F890-4104-A252-D734151D9966.jpeg
    7D13F00D-F890-4104-A252-D734151D9966.jpeg
    91 KB · Views: 131
  • 21FEFBC6-11A6-4D78-9AD4-FDC0C4729BF6.jpeg
    21FEFBC6-11A6-4D78-9AD4-FDC0C4729BF6.jpeg
    251.8 KB · Views: 131
OP
OP
C

CopperBronco

Not shown here is the connection from the charcoal canister to the carburetor. The capped connection would run from the canister to a vent on the float bowl.
Mine actually runs from canister to air intake to recycle fumes, shown above, but this would work too! The capped connection on mine is for a PCV system which I don’t have.

Jarrett h

Loc.
Le Claire, IA
fetchimage

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The bowl vent connection was for introducing more fumes INTO the canister. Not for returning them to the engine.
The return fumes were always (pre-computer) re-introduced to the engine via the air cleaner housing.
Bowl vents started appearing around '73 or so, and continued for the most part as long as there were carburetors.

One of the biggest problems in replacement carbs however is that it seems like you almost never get the correct carb for a later model engine. Most of the ones we see reported about don't have a bowl vent.

Paul

OP
OP
C

CopperBronco

Is the rollover valve in the rubber line between the hard line on the frame and the canister?
Yes! The rubber line goes from gas tank, run the line up the frame, somewhere between tank and canister install the rollover valve. It should ideally be above the gas tank a bit, but just depends on type of valve… some people use check valves as well I believe. @DirtDonk keep me honest here! You’re the guru!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Ha ha ha! Thanks, but not really a guru of roll over, anti drain back, flapper, one way, or any other type of valve that I know of.
I think James Roney had a couple of big discussions about the differences while talking about different gas tanks.

I’ve never pulled an old 76 or 77 valve apart to see just how it works. But it kind of looked like a plastic float or something was enclosed in it the plastic case.
Not sure how the DeLorean model works either.

But as far as I know, you’re correct in your statements. Wherever you can mount it up high as it is convenient seems like the best practice. Valve or no valve, higher is better.
Although I’m sure there are some valves of particular types that might work better when exposed to liquid directly, I just don’t think they’re the type we would want to use.
So I’m still in the mount it higher camp.

Bronco_007

Loc.
Nature Coast, FL
Ha ha ha! Thanks, but not really a guru of roll over, anti drain back, flapper, one way, or any other type of valve that I know of.
I think James Roney had a couple of big discussions about the differences while talking about different gas tanks.

I’ve never pulled an old 76 or 77 valve apart to see just how it works. But it kind of looked like a plastic float or something was enclosed in it the plastic case.
Not sure how the DeLorean model works either.

But as far as I know, you’re correct in your statements. Wherever you can mount it up high as it is convenient seems like the best practice. Valve or no valve, higher is better.
Although I’m sure there are some valves of particular types that might work better when exposed to liquid directly, I just don’t think they’re the type we would want to use.
So I’m still in the mount it higher camp.
How about this? Haven’t made it permanent yet. Wanted to hear opinions first…

Attachments

• 1A7DF773-8E9D-427B-BE3C-C8B8C5354D25.jpeg
    1A7DF773-8E9D-427B-BE3C-C8B8C5354D25.jpeg
    191.4 KB · Views: 85