• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Charcoal Canister / EVAP Install / Solve Gas Smell

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Need? No.
Can one improve the experience of owning an older vehicle? Yes.
Detrimental to performance or anything else? No.

ksagis

Contributor
Aspiring Bronco Guru
My two (or maybe three?) transactions with BC Broncos have all been good.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Do I even need a charcoal canister since I’ll never be smog tested in my area?
It’s not so much about passing inspection anymore. It’s about keeping the air clean around your house.
Is it always parked outside? Does that outside happen to be anywhere near the house?
If so, the better course of action is to keep it intact.
I did retain the piece that’s outside of the frame behind passenger wheel, just can’t find the canister.
That bit on the frame behind the passenger wheel is the charcoal canister. The other piece that’s inside the cabin is a recovery tank. Or condensing tank.
It’s been 2 years since we took her apart and who knows where that canister is
You could source another one, or you could do what more people do nowadays and update to the 76/77 version where the newer style plastic charcoal canister is mounted on the firewall under the hood.

Or you could go ahead and eliminate it, and hope for the best.
Some do and don’t really have any issues. More often than not though, you constantly smell gas around your truck.
Just like the good old days before evaporative emissions restrictions.

Last edited:

SeaVee

Contributor
How do I post pics on here? Found some more parts, specifically the bracket and white thingy that mounts to frame on passenger side, also found a set of vapor lines from Inline Tubing I must have ordered way back when.

hossbronco

Contributor
How do I post pics on here? Found some more parts, specifically the bracket and white thingy that mounts to frame on passenger side, also found a set of vapor lines from Inline Tubing I must have ordered way back when.
You have to be a contributor, which it looks like you already are. Then just click the photo icon at the top of the reply box and click in that “Drop image” box to add a photo or select “Attach files” at the bottom of the reply box and select your photo. Should be pretty straightforward.

Soylent

Contributor
Loc.
California
That’s the rollover valve. Prevents raw fuel from traveling up the vent line in a rollover.

SeaVee

Contributor
Cool- thanks. So IIRC there’s a vapor line from there to the canister on firewall?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yep. Correct.
Nothing fancy, but if you already have a pre-made line, use it.
If you need to use just regular fuel rated hose, you can use that instead.

SeaVee

Contributor
Thanks for that tip, it does work but looks like crap on my powder coated frame, can you still get these? Haven't been able to find one online

NJBronk

Contributor
Thanks for that tip, it does work but looks like crap on my powder coated frame, can you still get these? Haven't been able to find one online

I used the rollover valve from this set (not the vent): https://www.summitracing.com/parts/TNK-VVR-IL

But it has to be mounted vertically. I converted to the newer-style charcoal canister mounted on the firewall, so I put the rollover valve near the passenger fender on the way up to the new canister.