• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Charcoal Canister / EVAP Install / Solve Gas Smell

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Wait for the others, but it seems to me that it would be better off mounted further back towards the tank.
And then there’s the convoluted hose routing that this location requires. I think it would be cleaner looking with just the charcoal canister up front, and the valve at least somewhere further back.
When I said as high as is convenient, I didn’t mean you had to put it up as high as the canister itself.

However, maybe you’re on to something, so definitely wait for others to chime in.

Bronco_007

Loc.
Nature Coast, FL
Wait for the others, but it seems to me that it would be better off mounted further back towards the tank.
And then there’s the convoluted hose routing that this location requires. I think it would be cleaner looking with just the charcoal canister up front, and the valve at least somewhere further back.
When I said as high as is convenient, I didn’t mean you had to put it up as high as the canister itself.

However, maybe you’re on to something, so definitely wait for others to chime in.
Will do. I did get some advice (from someone on the forum) that the rollover valve definitely needed to be mounted in the rubber line going to the charcoal. There is a metal bearing or cylinder inside it, right? How is that activated exactly? I thought it had to be mounted upright due to design…?

If it stays up there, I’ll clean up the hose routing. Nothing is permanent!

adrenln

I decided to write this up, because it was so hard to find. And I know most of you hate charcoal canisters and EVAP/DEQ crap on your Broncos, but for me the gasoline smell was so potent it was fumigating my house and my small children. This isn't acceptable of course. I'm new to Broncos, so any of the above could be wrong, but I did my best. Open to any and all comments here if I got anything wrong :) I'm running a 66ish Bronco (restored), 2Brl Carb, on a 302 V8. Obviously the install will be different for those with other setups. Hope this helps anyone trying to do this as installing it is easy, finding the parts and right info was not for a newbie like me.

A couple of quick hacks that can work without the hassle of EVAP system:

– don't fill up your gas tank all the way, only 3/4 to give room for vapor to expand inside your tank if it isn't vented properly
– you can just vent your two vent holes on the stock 13 gallon tank to each other with some rubber hose to close them off, use fuel injection clamps for a tight seal (Thanks to Andrew @Baja Broncos for this tip & the first one when I was selling him some parts, check out his awesome Stroppe Broncos).
– obviously if you have bad gas smell check for leaks, especially along fill/vent hoses, and check your gas caps as well if they're vented or not
– avoid spring clamps and go with fuel injection clamps all around for venting, my mechanic said they seal up way better (not sure if true)

Now as for installing / retro-fitting a charcoal canister and vent lines on your Bronco, getting all the parts can be quite the hunt as their are not entire kits out there, so you'll have to source from multiple suppliers:

LMR – for 80's ford Charcoal Canister Kit – '87-93 mustang (this is what I used)
https://lmr.com/item/LRS-9653BK/mustang-charcoal-canister-restoration-kit-8793
This is installed to your passenger or driver's side firewall pending your Bronco setup, you need to install this at the highest point possible to avoid fuel getting into it, so you want it well above your gas tanks. You can install the Bronco original condensation / overflow tank that sits behind the driver's side door in the later 70's Broncos, but I was told my guys at Tom's Bronco that you want to avoid this, as the parts are super hard to find, and also it was a poor design. No matter what the 4 hoses and fittings into that tank always would break/crack, and leak gas fumes into your cab. It also wasn't the easiest to access. Ford later moved these overflow vapor tanks away from here due to the poor design. The LMR kit is a little confusing with the 4 holes, my understanding is you put a cap (part link below) onto the one nearest the two small holes, then large hole vents from the canister to your air cleaner, and the two small holes are for gas tank intake and purge valve connections. I capped the purge valve connection as my Bronco doesn't have a computer on board like the newer Mustangs did back then.

Sadly these canisters above don't come with the caps, they can be found here, super expensive for a little piece of plastic. Only ordered 1 since it looks like you're supposed to vent the other large hole to your air cleaner. Per Paul's note below, these don't seal the canister, but prevent things from getting in. For certain setups you'll need two of these.
https://www.ebay.com/p/1311225085?iid=255029656081
Ford part number D1AZ-9E602-B

If you want original stock OEM canister go the Mercury Cougar Parts catalog here in Oregon, sometimes these have to be baked to restore I'm told:
https://secure.cougarpartscatalog.com/1919mecofomu2.html – they have brackets and original charcoal canisters that match the Bronco from what I can tell, not sure how well these work, but I'm sure they do.

For the charcoal canister to air cleaner (as the air cleaner will suck in the fuel vapors and recycle them into your engine), go here for a vintage mustang charcoal canister to air cleaner hose:
https://www.mustangsetc.com/3-4-air-cleaner-to-charcoal-canister-fuel-vapor-hose/ – or go find any old aluminum hose, even HVAC ones can work I'm told, this is a 3/4 hose at Mustangs etc... the 3/4 hose was a little big, but I put a sleeve in side it and then clamped it onto the air cleaner intake port. I'm connecting one of the large openings on the charcoal canister

It's also wise to install a rollover valve between the gas tanks & the charcoal canister to prevent fuel from getting into the charcoal canister in case of a heavy nose dive situation, like a steep downhill slope, or a rollover accident. I found this one: https://store.delorean.com/101402-rollover-valve.html , as it looked simplest to hook up and matched my fuel line sizes on my stock aux and main tanks, but any check valve or rollover valve could work. I installed this rollover valve above my passenger side frame rail to a clip in the tub of my Bronco, I have a 3" body lift so it causes the vapor line to raise up quite a bit, and then drops back down as I zip tied the vapor lines to the frame as it travels up to the passenger firewall.

Obviously you'll need a lot of fuel hose line and fuel injection clamps to connect your fuel tank vents from your main and auxiliary tanks all the way to the charcoal canister. Original Ford motor diagrams for EVAP are attached here as well just for Stock/OEM reference. This helped me figure out how to create my own system and follow as closely as I thought I should. I also drew a basic diagram of what I did from my tanks.

Here are additional threads on this topic on ClassicBroncos, they are often incomplete and hard to find, thought I'd put this all in one place for folks if the gas smell is ruining your wife or children's lives. :)

https://classicbroncos.com/forums/threads/charcoal-canister.313882/#post-3415668
https://classicbroncos.com/forums/threads/mustang-efi-charcoal-canister.313673/#post-3412855
https://classicbroncos.com/forums/threads/charcoal-canister-installation.261451/
https://classicbroncos.com/forums/threads/where-should-the-charcoal-canister-be-mounted.218039/
https://classicbroncos.com/forums/threads/gas-tank-pressure-evap-system-and-gas-caps.310185/
https://classicbroncos.com/forums/threads/plastic-bottle-under-panel-behind-drivers-seat.86497/
Thanks for this! I am planning to follow your plan exactly. What size hose did you run from the fuel tank to the charcoal canister?

OP
OP
C

CopperBronco

Can’t recall off top of my head, fit tightly onto tank fittings which are standard fuel line size, which is 5/16 or 3/8 pending your setup. In off-road situs or steep nose dives fuel can run up the line, or if tank is overfilled… hence the rollover valve to prevent fuel from entering canister, but my canister is up on passenger firewall so unlikely either way. Good luck! Fairly easy install, harder to figure out solution since most people just rip out canisters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Just looked at the aftermarket canister mentioned a few pages back. They are now at $290. And I will still fault them for not having any purge to them. That carbon can only hold so much fuel vapor before it is saturated.

I thought about using a couple settings on a Sniper to control purge off a normal EFI style canister. Set the cooling fan to just below operating temp and set a throttle activated switch set to a low setting. Maybe even add an RPM trigger. Use those signals to control the purge instead. That way it will purge once warmed up and while cruising, but not be a vacuum leak at idle. I was thinking of using a smaller (slightly undersized) solenoid to limit flow to make sure drivability wouldn't suffer. I ended up using the throttle switched output to control the transmission kickdown (no kickdown rod/cable). Never got around to controlling the purge before I sold it.

SeaVee

Contributor
Does anyone have a diagram of how the 77 was configured? We are at that point in the resto process. Am I understanding correctly that if I get that Vapor Trapper I can just mount it near the tank without going up to firewall? Going to be running a fairly stock 302.
TIA

OP
OP
C

CopperBronco

Early broncos had vapor canister behind driver side door, was a bad design and later moved down to outside passenger frame rail near transmission crossbar, diagrams are on this site somewhere… if too low without a rollover valve they can flood with gas, most folks just put up on passenger firewall, but can be put anywhere that’s higher up ideally especially if off-roading on steep terrain.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Not quite accurate, chronologically.
The vapor canister/Recovery tank/condensing tank behind the panel next to the driver, was only used in conjunction with an existing charcoal canister mounted to the frame over on the passenger side.
That system appears to have shown up on Broncos about midway through the 70 model year. Prior to that they had nothing.
After that they were equipped with the charcoal canister and in-cab recovery tank, until 76 when they eliminated the in-cab tank, and put a revised plastic charcoal canister up on the firewall on the passenger side.
That was all factory doing.
Those later ones in 76 and 77, or at least 77, included a rollover valve, mounted to the passenger side frame rail.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I would probably try making my own out of one of those cheap oil catch cans off Amazon. There are several fancy billet aluminum ones with a bunch of fitting for under $25.

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
Early broncos had vapor canister behind driver side door, was a bad design and later moved down to outside passenger frame rail near transmission crossbar, diagrams are on this site somewhere… if too low without a rollover valve they can flood with gas, most folks just put up on passenger firewall, but can be put anywhere that’s higher up ideally especially if off-roading on steep terrain.

the 76-77 canister was on the pass firewall.

Has anyone used one of these Vapor Recovery Systems? I found this on the BC Broncos site, kinda pricey but I am yanking the smog stuff off my 77 ( I don’t get smog tested where I live) and thought this might be the ticket. Or do I just use vented fuel caps:
https://bcbroncos.com/shop/fuel/efi/vapor-recovery-system-11-84031/
Good luck ordering anything from them. I think they unofficially shut down. no response to anything and not sure anyone has had any luck ordering anything from them. And man, what a rip!
I ordered that one and it is HUGE! I decided not to use it and returned.

hossbronco

Contributor
Good luck ordering anything from them. I think they unofficially shut down. no response to anything and not sure anyone has had any luck ordering anything from them. And man, what a rip!
I have an order arriving today from them. I ordered it over the weekend. BC Broncos is very much open and is pretty responsive. You can call and talk to them if you have any questions. They are closed during the lunch hour, and they’re now closed on Fridays, though you might still catch someone at the shop then too.

There are quite a few items on their website that are out of stock though, so it’s not uncommon to place an order and wait for several months, depending on what that item is. Again, you can call to confirm availability before ordering. I still order from them because they’re very innovative and have some unique products.

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
We've had a long discussion about this on another thread.

I've tried to order several things over the past year and the response time sucks or just plain doesn't exist.

I don't usually call...who calls these days? I want a crumbtrail of a conversation so I know what I said and where I stand on something.

But, I have called. I asked about ordering a dash almost a year ago now and had a conversation about that. I was told they were switching manufacturers of their dash and were awaiting a satisfactory prototype and I was told I'd be put on a list and called as soon as the dash was available.

Did I receive that call? Uhh, no.

That's just one of my experiences. They've all been equally weak. Who wants to deal with that?

hossbronco

Contributor
I don’t doubt anything you said. They have parts that have been on order for more than a year. But my experience is that they do keep a waitlist, and they do call when it’s ready. They don’t have a large staff like some of the other shops, so it takes them time to develop products and change vendors, but they do an excellent job on the products they put out.

Anyway, not to hash this out here, but these are great people who support the Bronco community, especially here in Texas. The bottom line is if they have it in stock you’ll get it ASAP. If they don’t, they’ll let you know or you can call them to confirm before making a purchase. And if you’re waiting on a part that’s not in stock, it might be a while…sometimes a long while.

SeaVee

Contributor
Do I even need a charcoal canister since I’ll never be smog tested in my area? I did retain the piece that’s outside of the frame behind passenger wheel, just can’t find the canister. It’s been 2 years since we took her apart and who knows where that canister is