• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

chevy disc swap using Ford spindles?

jason

Loc.
harned, ky
im at work right now. if someone doesn't beat me to it, i'll give you some more detailed info when i get home...
jason

jason

Loc.
harned, ky
if i recall correctly, the reason for the spacer is to push the hub out, which creates enough clearance between the rotor and the dustsheild. the spacers i made were 3/16" thick, 2.5" O.D., with a 1.785" I.D. you won't be able to use the outer external snap ring on the axle, so you will have to use a bolt/washer, and a little loc-tite. this set-up has worked flawlessly for 7 years, and it saved me a few buck on the conversion...if anyone wants to try this route, i'd be willing to turn a few more spacers...

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
Hey Jason, I wouldnt mind checking it out. I have a dana 30 front that I am wanting to put some disc brakes on. I can take pics etc and make a thread on it for others that might be interested in it. I'd love to be able to reuse my ford spindles and save some $

regshawn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Portland
This would be great info to have.............a year ago! I would have been able to use my darn near brand new ford spindles instead of the crap I bought from Saddleup!! So please, more info.

Shawn

jason

Loc.
harned, ky
i did this conversion on a 44, so im not sure if the 30 spindles would require the same size spacers. i'd like to compare the two...

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
I'm assuming the D30 and D44 drum spindles are the same, as the knuckles and drums are the same. That's why the conversion works for either axle.

What is the setback ($) for those spacers, I'd be interested in converting my brother in laws rig for cheap aswell...

jason

Loc.
harned, ky
i will make a few sets tomorrow. who else is interested in buying these spacers? i'd like to see how many sets i need to make.
jason

Hoppy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Gresham, OR
I'd be in for a set
shipped to 97220 business

if you want to save some shipping
you can put mine in with Titos or his with mine we live fairly close

Last edited:

jason

Loc.
harned, ky
haha, i think it means that an easy solution to a common upgrade has been under our noses for years, but it is just now being recognized...

theshadow

Its just hilarious how "not safe" and other naysaying turns to crickets....you'd think such a diverse and adaptable crowd would meet a new idea (or new to others) with less derogatory skepticism. Sorry if this comment sounds offensive but....no offense;D