• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

chevy disc swap using Ford spindles?

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
This sounds like a good option. I would be willing to try it if needed. The junkyards in my area are flush with chevy trucks so I went the easy route and got them from the donor truck.

jason

Loc.
harned, ky
oh, did i forget to mention that these were not intended for highway use? ;D
just playing... we're all adults here, and we know when it comes to brakes, we better have things right. this setup has worked well for myself, and im not the least bit worried about the work that I have performed to my bronco. if you have confidence in your wrenching abilities, then carry on. if the idea scares you, then buy the chevy spindles. i'm just sharing my experience.

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
So where does the spacer go, between the spindle and backing plate? Still 76 up f150 and bronco hub/rotor and bearings? Looking forward to checking it out.

73AnneBoleyn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Charlotte, NC
Its just hilarious how "not safe" and other naysaying turns to crickets....you'd think such a diverse and adaptable crowd would meet a new idea (or new to others) with less derogatory skepticism. Sorry if this comment sounds offensive but....no offense;D

i don't think there were many "not safe" and "naysaying" comments. i'm sure boss351 and the others can understand that when introducing a new and revolutionary idea, it can be expected that there is a little bit of skepticism. and certainly no one was derogatory towards the idea.

heck, i wish i knew about this last week before i busted up my knuckles and hands taking off my old spindles and putting on the chevy ones! ;D

cool to see a new idea introduced that seems to have worked for several people. :cool:

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Still more often than not when you go to get caliper brackets you'll already have the correct spindles. Just back in the day very few people were willing to make these spacers so the ch#vy spindles were the only real choice. With the spacer only being 1/8" or so its not really a issue. Still a good post I may get some of these made for my 71 and sell my ch#vy spindles. Lucky for me I have access to a very cheap/free machinist.

Boss351

Loc.
Foxboro
you can make the spacers from simple washers from the hardware store and just have the center opened to the spindle diameter . Pretty simple trick

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Dont think I'd go that route. especailly if your talking about using regular washers that just fit the bolts. I would want a solid spacer that fills the complete gap between the spindle and kunckle vs 6 small stress points

Boss351

Loc.
Foxboro
the spacer goes on the spindle to space out the rotor from hitting the backing plate a grade 8 washer works fine

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Dont matter what grade your washers are your creating stress points by only using washers. Your putting a lot weight/leverage on a small portion of the spindle and taxing the spindle bolts. While I'm sure you havent had a problem I just wouldnt go that route a full sized spacer will distribute the weight/leverage more equally without stress points.
Its kinda like wheel spacers. Theres a reason nobody uses washers to space out there wheels.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I'm starting to think that this spacer slips over the hub end of the spindle and doesn't really move the spindle out at all. It just keeps the hub pushed out. Is that how it works? Anyone got any pictures of this thing?

72Sport

Bronco Guru
The spacer that I read about a few years ago went between the spindle and backing plate. It fit over the end of the spindle and was about 1/4" thick. Some on this site have made their own. Someone in the mid west sold them several years ago. I found them by using the links in the tech section. I would guess the site is long gone. I always thought they sounded hazardous to your health but that is just my opinion.

If you look at a drawing comparing the Ford and Chevy spindle the difference is between the two is the distance (1/4")from surface that the six bolt heads contact and the outer edge of the inner bearing surface. With the spindles standing on the knuckle end the difference between the two spindles is 1/4". Moving the spindle out with the spacer puts the Ford spindle bearing surfaces in the same location as the Chevy with respect to the backing plate and the hub. The overall length of the Chevy spindle is 6 1/2" and the Ford is 6 1/4".

It may work with less than a 1/4" spacer. It has been a long time since I have read about them.

jason

Loc.
harned, ky
alright, i just did something that i should have done 7 years ago. i tore down my front hub, took pictures, and wrote a tech article, using spacers on a ford spindle. i wanted to clear up any misconceptions on where the spacers were being used. if anyone would like a set of spacers, just send me a pm.
jason

Boss351

Loc.
Foxboro
Imust have really confused people with washer thing. My spacer was only one washer and it was installed just before you put the rotor assembly on it only moves out the rotor about an eighth of an inch away from the backing plate so the rotor doesn't rub the backing plate The backing plate and spindle are still bolted to the nuckle tight no spacers in there.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
So you are saying you put a one big washer on the spindle itself? So the washer is between the spindle and inner wheel bearing? Now That sounds like a decent way to go.

Boss351

Loc.
Foxboro
YES washer needs to be 2.5 OD and you turn out the center to 1.780 . Thats it install and drive on. Beats the 650.00 dallar kit all day long.

gpete

brakes

So you use the ford drum spindles, chevy backing plates and calipers so all you to replace are the ford hub and rotor you cannot use the ford drum hub?

jason

Loc.
harned, ky
So you use the ford drum spindles, chevy backing plates and calipers so all you to replace are the ford hub and rotor you cannot use the ford drum hub?

the hub/rotor came together when i purchased them from autozone.