• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

chevy disc swap using Ford spindles?

72Sport

Bronco Guru
Looks like the lip of the seal would be riding on the edge of the seal surface on the spindle. I have a Ford spindle with what I believe to be a witness line where the lip of the seal was contacting the spindle. It was about 1/8" from the outer edge.

Revelation

Bronco Guru
Just to add fuel to the fire, I was waiting to get mine on the road before I opened my mouth,
Working on my project (Chipper link in my sig) several months ago I used the GM backing plate and caliper with no dust shield (No Dust shield should keep the wheels from getting messy), Stock Bronco drum spindles and rotors from a 79 1/2 ton, got the rotor on, no rubs anywhere. The only issue was the clip on the axle to hold the hub in, well when the Bronco was first produced Ford did not use clips, the hubs were held in with a bolt and washer into the end on the axle. The axles on my 74 were threaded so problem solved.
No I have not run it yet but looking at clearances it is going to be fine, no spacers were used.
3GoingTogether1023.jpg

Smokeater11

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Auburndale,FL
I want to bring this back up to see if there is anything new on this front. I think I was sold the wrong spindles and I'm looking for an alternative to buying another set of spindles or having these turned down on a lathe.

Bronco Biff

Contributor
Okay, here is my take (SO FAR!). Stumbled around with the chevy caliper supports and junk I had squirreled away about 15 yrs ago for this swap. Mocked it up with the ford drum brake spindles. Ground the knuckles for caliper clearance where the hole is drilled and tapped for the bolt limiting the knuckle travel (no issue, extra material and not even close to the end of the bolt). Installed the rotor using the same bearings removed from the drum brake hub, used 79 ford 4X 1/2 ton hub and rotor (same bearings and seal, a35, a37) No clearance problem. Picked up some new pads and found the problem to be clearance for the inner pad to clear the caliper support. (unless you used half worn out inner pads!). This is why the rotor has to be spaced out. Where I quit last night was comparing the chevy spindle I had on hand to the drum brake spindle. Jason's link in post #17 gives some good dimensions, but where I stopped last night i found the overall length on the junk I compared from the face of the flange where the bolts hold the spindle to the knuckle and the end of the spindle where the same. The only difference being the shoulder length. Will make spacers and follow up.

Smokeater11

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Auburndale,FL
Jason or Boss351 can you send someone some pics to put up of this spacer and exactly where it goes. Jason I looked for your tech article on this site and did not see anything, is it somewhere else??? I see both of you are not contributors so you can send the pics to me and I'll put them up for you. smokeater11@tampabay.rr.com

67ster

Bronco Guru
In a pinch over a bent large bearing spindle that I was turning down in the lathe , I did use the stock drum brake spindle and made a spacer from DOM at work to fit the ID press fit and finished the OD to the same as the original seal surface , but wait -there's more ! If one examines the stock spindle there is a radius machined where the bearing surface transitions ( steps up) to the seal surface , a fillet or what ever . From faulty memory (oldtimers disease) to stop stress risers from too sharp a corner causing a crack to form under load. Anyhoo , I cut a radius into the seal side (inside) of the .220"thick spacer ,cleaned it and JB welded (epoxy) it on for eternity , worked for me , sealed OK , of course the outer axle is too short but the bolt and fender washer fixed that . Hope this helps. S

cupcake

So by spacing out the inner bearing thusly pushing out the rotor eveyrthing works. Except the clip in the axle. Ok so why not use the chevy outer stubs because they are 1/4 longer just like the chevy spindles are 1/4 longer and yes they use the same 297x joint and splines. Ask me how I know

jason

Loc.
harned, ky
Jason or Boss351 can you send someone some pics to put up of this spacer and exactly where it goes. Jason I looked for your tech article on this site and did not see anything, is it somewhere else??? I see both of you are not contributors so you can send the pics to me and I'll put them up for you. smokeater11@tampabay.rr.com

i guess the tech article didnt make the cut... i have sent you a few pics, but the quality of the pics are not very good.

Smokeater11

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Auburndale,FL
Thanks Jason, I'm not at home right now but I'll look at them when I get home. At least I'll have a better idea of what I need to make if I can't get these Chevy spindles to work.

cupcake

Remember there is also 2 different checy spindles. early small bearing and later big bearing

Smokeater11

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Auburndale,FL
Yeah I just discovered this little nugget of knowledge. On the spindles I have the area where the inner bearing rides is roughly 1/8th of an inch bigger than the stock bearing. You don't happen to know what bearing I need to buy to make these spindles work do you? Maybe a make/model and year of Chevy vehicle or a part number...

Bronco Biff

Contributor
So by spacing out the inner bearing thusly pushing out the rotor eveyrthing works. Except the clip in the axle. Ok so why not use the chevy outer stubs because they are 1/4 longer just like the chevy spindles are 1/4 longer and yes they use the same 297x joint and splines. Ask me how I know

Cupcake! I see you made the trip over! PMed you back. Did you get one together?

Smokeater11

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Auburndale,FL
Here are the pics Jason sent me of the spacer that he made. It seems pretty simple. The biggest thing to notice is the bevel that is cut on the inside of the spacer to accomidate the bevel at the base of the spindle. This allows the spacer to sit flush against the back wall of the spindle.

Attachments

• chevy disc brakes 007.jpg
    chevy disc brakes 007.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 292
  • chevy disc brakes 008.jpg
    chevy disc brakes 008.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 317
  • chevy disc brakes 009.jpg
    chevy disc brakes 009.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 310
  • chevy disc brakes 010.jpg
    chevy disc brakes 010.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 294

Smokeater11

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Auburndale,FL
So you use the ford drum spindles, chevy backing plates and calipers so all you to replace are the ford hub and rotor you cannot use the ford drum hub?

drum hubs and disc hubs are different

I know they are different but if you are using the drum spindle why can't you use the drum hub??? Shouldn't just just be able to seperate the hub from the drum and attach it to the rotor? The bearing will be the same. Is it an attachment issue to the rotor?? someone,anyone

Smokeater11

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Auburndale,FL
I went and answered my own question. I pulled a drum hub from a D30 I had sitting behind the shop and there is an obviuos difference. The back part of the hub is shorter and is machined with a significant bevel. The disc brake hub is machined square so that the inner flange of the rotor butts up to a square surface. I don't see any way it would possibly work. Some of you guys already knew this but I needed to see for myself what the difference is and know I understand. Hope this explaination helps the next guy.

Bronco Biff

Contributor
another curve

Picked up two more small bearing longer seal shoulder spindles yesterday, one of them had deeper bores for the outer axle bearing and face for the bronze washer appearing to give enough penetration to get the snap ring on. Was getting ready to assemble and see, drive joint is "crunchy" so going to get new one first........What a fiasco!!