• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Chevy engine in a Bronco

Bronco_Rider

Loc.
Brentwood, Ca
Hi,

Any body can put a Ford engine in a Bronco with very little difficulty. Install a non-Ford engine and it peaks every ones interest, Ford and Chevy lovers alike. Most people are uncomfortable with the idea while others are interested in the process.
I did this for the challange, attention, enjoy talking with people and the comments.

To make this Bronco more interesting this 71 sits on a 78 shortened Bronco frame which gives me a high pinion front end, power disc brakes, power steering, quad shocks, a 203 transfer case, larger fuel tank etc. Add an LT1 350, a 700 R4, lockers at each end, and longer travel shocks with a 3.5" lift, this Bronco will be sweet in the dunes at Pismo. Should have it on the street in several months.

Another one of my projects is a 1960 F-100, 4 wheel drive, 78 Ford running gear and a 460 that is all Ford.

Bronco Rider

T

teknalee

NICE! i'd love to see this thing go... so what's your wheelbase at?

mlogan24

Bronco Guru
That does sound sweet. I really don't mind the cross-brand swapping. In fact I have a 71 Scout 800 that I'm in the process of swinging a EFI 383/700R4/NP241 into. I got a bunch of crap for that on the BinderBulletin, but the issue for me was I wanted a truck that could get decent mileage, wheel good, and still cruise at 75 mph on the highway for extended periods of time-and since the IH drivetrains provided no real feasible fuel injection and overdrive options, I went Bowtie (i could have gone Ford, but we all know that Chevy is usually a little cheaper on everything, plus it just makes getting aftermarket stuff that much easier).

I do feel that someone should use what works best. The only thing that irks me a little, is when you have something like our rigs, I really don't get the Chevy conversion. Especially when it means messing up stock V8 mounts. But hey-it's your money. Besides-you didn't have to mess up a 66-77 frame for yours-so it's all good ;D

OP
OP
B

Bronco_Rider

Loc.
Brentwood, Ca
Hi,
The wheel base is 94", same as the early Bronco.
I am running OEM early Bronco chrome bumpers to give it that clean stock look. "sleeper"

Bronco Rider

OP
OP
B

Bronco_Rider

Loc.
Brentwood, Ca
Hi,

I had a sweet Camaro and when my daughter needed a car after she wrecked hers, I put a 305 in the Camaro and gave it to her. Kept the 350 for my Bronco.
Yes, the motor mounts took time to fabricate. Ford mounts are centered on the block and Chevy pushes theirs toward the front.

It always makes me smile to see a Scout that is fixed up and looking good. ....and with a non oem power plant that is a plus.

Bronco Rider

BroncoWyatt

I am using a roller cam TBI 5.7 and 700r4/ Dana 20 in my current bronco buildup. I have goten lot's of crap from this, but it's a hard combo to beat, and I already owned it. Should go great. I have always been pleased with the performance of the 302's in my past Bronco's, but I wanted a little somthing else this time. I planned to run Gm TB injection anyways ,plus the motor was all set for serp. belts and saginaw pump for my hydro assist. really makes alot of sense to use this setup to me.

Brett

T

teknalee

i believe the EB is 92... that's what is says in the manual and measures out to be. hmm it would be sweet if the wheel base was like 108 that's what i'd like to go after

Desert Thrasher

Bronco Guru
To each their own I guess. But somthing like a bronco where its just so much easier to go with a 351windor, I cant see putting a chevy motor in. The windsor has all of the same aftermarket stuff, and its really not that much more than the 350 chevy.
But someday I am gonna take a perfect pristine 1967 chevy camaro and drop in a killer 514 Ford bigblock engine just to piss off those lame ass chevy people who will cry about it ;D ;D ;D
Especially when I beat them in the quarter mile ;)

2badrotties

Just a Bronco guy !
Loc.
Niskayuna N.Y.
As long as you didn't ruin a real EB to do it , I guess we will let you slide. I hope they let you register it with HANDICAP plates ;D because you definitely deserve them. I guess it isn't as bad as a chevy into a Toyota though because those guys wind up with Toy o lets or would you pronounce it toilets. To each his own, good luck with it.

OP
OP
B

Bronco_Rider

Loc.
Brentwood, Ca
I hope they let you register it with HANDICAP plates ;D because you definitely deserve them

Will the purple heart, combat wounded plates off my 79 F-150 work?
It is already registered as a 71 and current.

Bronco Rider

OP
OP
B

Bronco_Rider

Loc.
Brentwood, Ca
i believe the EB is 92... that's what is says in the manual and measures out to be.

You are correct. I took 12" out of the 78 Bronco frame. 104" less 12" gives me the 92" wheel base. Desire was to keep the stock wheel base.

Bronco Rider

byrddog

Loc.
Broadway, VA
[quote author=Bronco_Rider link=board=5;threadid=15819;start=0#msg119695 date=1049046015]
Hi,

Any body can put a Ford engine in a Bronco with very little difficulty. Install a non-Ford engine and it peaks every ones interest, Ford and Chevy lovers alike. Most people are uncomfortable with the idea while others are interested in the process.
I did this for the challange, attention, enjoy talking with people and the comments.

To make this Bronco more interesting this 71 sits on a 78 shortened Bronco frame which gives me a high pinion front end, power disc brakes, power steering, quad shocks, a 203 transfer case, larger fuel tank etc. Add an LT1 350, a 700 R4, lockers at each end, and longer travel shocks with a 3.5" lift, this Bronco will be sweet in the dunes at Pismo. Should have it on the street in several months.

Another one of my projects is a 1960 F-100, 4 wheel drive, 78 Ford running gear and a 460 that is all Ford.

Bronco Rider
[/quote]

That LT1 350 is a sick motor. I wouldn't go through the trouble myself, but you picked a wicked mill. I had a caprice classic with an LT1 and it would light 'em up without a power drop. Should be fun as a dune runner.

Waverous

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Aurora, CO
[quote author=mlogan24 link=board=5;threadid=15819;start=0#msg119706 date=1049049132]
That does sound sweet. I really don't mind the cross-brand swapping. In fact I have a 71 Scout 800 that I'm in the process of swinging a EFI 383/700R4/NP241 into. I got a bunch of crap for that on the BinderBulletin, but the issue for me was I wanted a truck that could get decent mileage, wheel good, and still cruise at 75 mph on the highway for extended periods of time-and since the IH drivetrains provided no real feasible fuel injection and overdrive options, I went Bowtie (i could have gone Ford, but we all know that Chevy is usually a little cheaper on everything, plus it just makes getting aftermarket stuff that much easier).

I do feel that someone should use what works best. The only thing that irks me a little, is when you have something like our rigs, I really don't get the Chevy conversion. Especially when it means messing up stock V8 mounts. But hey-it's your money. Besides-you didn't have to mess up a 66-77 frame for yours-so it's all good ;D
[/quote]
Thats what we did with our 78 Scout. It has a stroked Chrysler 440 to a 498, Indy aluminum heads, roller cam and rockers, Elecromotive Multiport EFI, McCandless 1/2 crank, distributorless ignition, Dana 60's, Alcan springs, and ARBs. It climbs very well and has a hard time staying under 75 on the highway.

cactushorse

A ch**y in a ford isn't anthing new to ford guys.Street rodders have been stuffing them into the coupes,buckets and f 100's for years.Seems to be the easy way out when it comes down to building a mill. I actually saw a 351C in a rod the other day.....Imagine that :eek: