• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Chevy engine in a Ford??????????

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
There's a guy on here with a mega-built rig (Bronconator I think?) with, if I recall correctly, a big block chevy in his machine. He had gobs of time and $$ into it, but he already had the engine so why buy another. I say if you want a resto or resto-mod then gotta stick with Ford. If you are building an all out trail rig that will only be trailered, then who cares. It's a totally custom rig anyway. When you look at the catalogues--Summit, Jegs, etc.--the same or better HP and Torque numbers come cheaper with a Chevy motor. I would still jab at anyone who would do it, but what's most important is that it runs and drives properly. These things are for fun--see how much fun we are having!

The Bronco-Nator has a 5.4L motor out of a Lincoln Navigator.

recoiljunky

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Dothan, AL. USA
I didn't start it this time!
But,
If you look at the SB Ford motor in a Bronco you will realize that it was adapted for use in the Bronco. Ford uses a front sump motor that had to have an extra long pick up tube to the oil pump because a front sump isn't a good idea on a 4X4. The SB Chevrolet actually fits nicely in the Bronco with a standard oil pan. For some reason people don't mind putting in Chevrolet brakes, tie rods, carbureters, alternators, transfer cases, but draw the line with the motor.

I wouldn't put a chebby motor in my EB but I sure do prefer how the distributor is at the back of the chebby motor. It keeps it from getting wet.

OP
OP
beatupbronco

beatupbronco

Loc.
Yakima, WA
WOW! I guess i started real sh*t storm. I'm glad all you guys had different opinions, I think it's cool to see so many opinions for the same rig we all love.

BronCowie

Contributor
Old Timer
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
WOW! I guess i started real sh*t storm. I'm glad all you guys had different opinions, I think it's cool to see so many opinions for the same rig we all love.

Way to go Beatup... I resisted this thread long enough... 'love the passion of this site though.

I grew up in a Cheby family that drank Coors beer. I migrated to Ford and Bud some years later and will never go back! ;D

-ps I loved my old '59 Apache (35 years gone by), but my next pickup will be a 50's something F100.

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
I thought that was the Goin-off-Bronco guy--heck I don't know. I'm old and senile.:p

Goin off Bronco did build the Bronco Nator. It just wasn't a chebby motor. ;)

Krawln68

Loc.
Newark, CA
Im with Steve, what does it matter how your rig is built. Most of our rigs are a mess of parts built for one function, to wheel. My bronco has blazer spindles for the front discs, and caddy calipers with jeep rotors for the rear. My buddy has a 61 Ford F100 that is powered by a 454 and a T400, why, cause he had it. Ill post a pic of it when i get a chance. Got one!
tonystruck.jpg

Last edited:

Potshot

Wish we had that truck when my buddy and I were loading his Harley...

Potshot

No doubt, but I just don't see that ride getting anywhere near where I would have to load up my game... ;D

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
I don't see that ride getting out of my driveway without a good bit of body damage. ;D

csjr

Loc.
Lighthouse Point, FL
I don't understand wheelers putting down other wheelers because of the brand rig they drive. I will NEVER understand EB owners putting down other EB owners for what motor or anything else is in their rig. %)

I totally agree...unless it breaks down all day. I would rather have a straight 6 rig that I could flog silly, than a 351 stroker that overheats and is temperamental.

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
I still don't see it getting out of my driveway without body damage. ;D

kbldawg

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marshall, AR
Think your buddy would mind if I took his back fenders, I need to graft them to my eb.

I can understand crossbreeding MAJOR parts (engine, trans,...etc) if the parts were not available as an option. Like putting a V8 in a heep, or a cummins 4bt in an EB. It's a cool mod in that aspect, but to put a 350 in a ford when you have a 351 available is just asking for trouble and ridicule.

But, at the end of the day, you can do whatever you want with it...it's yours!

-Chad

regshawn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Portland
No offense meant by this just my personal experience!;)
Most Chevy people lack something................oh wait it's common sense!;D Just for an example I will tell you about my last Bronco purchase. I bought a '67 complete tub (doors tailgate top Etc...) and frame from a guy who was running a small block Chevy (same lame exuse....had it). Here is where the lack of common sense comes in; He has a front end loader to remove the body and load it etc. I call and make arrangements to pick it up and he tells me he's just pulled the motor and the rest of the running gear, so its good to go. I show up and see that he cut the trannie tunnel out, and cut the radiator support along with the early grill the width of the radiator so he could get the engine out.:eek: Then he pulled the body off! WTF? Um hey Jethro pull your head out!!:p %)
I have bunches of story's like this.......bunches!! But this is just what I've experienced and I'm sure not all other's are like this.......I hope.;D ;D

Shawn

regshawn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Portland
I hope nobody's blood is boiling over this entire thread, and we are all just having some fun!! Really;D

Shawn

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I don't want to be black-balled from this site so I guess I'll just have to keep the car all Ford. I would like something a little different though. How about a 2.3 liter motor from a Ford Ranger pickup? Probably not too much poop but a little better milage and a lot of engine space. That would be a good place to use up all those old 30 axles too.

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
I don't want to be black-balled from this site so I guess I'll just have to keep the car all Ford. I would like something a little different though. How about a 2.3 liter motor from a Ford Ranger pickup? Probably not too much poop but a little better milage and a lot of engine space. That would be a good place to use up all those old 30 axles too.

The Ford 2.3 is a great little engine - especially turbocharged! For something really different I would suggest the 2.3 out of a 1984-86 Mustang SVO. Problem with this engine in a Bronco is that it is all high RPM hp and no low end torque. But if you're mainly street driven it would be a cool and unique engine. You can also get them out of early 80's Mustang GT's and Mercurs, but the SVO engines are better built and more hp and come with an intercooler. And they have a small block bolt pattern, I believe.