• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Chevy engine in a Bronco

carnage351

Loc.
Albuquerque, NM
someone correct me if I am mistaken here, but aren't the 78 and 79 Broncos a c channel frame. I know my 85 is and the frame flexes more than the suspension does. The EB's have a fully boxed frame that gives very little flex. I don't see any advantage of going to a frame off the fullsize.

As for the Chevy motor in a Ford. Chevy makes really good motors cheap, and every 7-11 has parts for them. I am tired of seeing small block Chevy's dropped into everything. I think that we should turn the tables on this and start dropping small block Fords into everything including Chevys.

and for my Pony Truck, it is going to stay pure. Powered by Ford all the way!!!!!!!!!!! ;D

Dave St

Loc.
Roanoke, VA
I am not sure about the frame.What originally made me think about this was looking for a 351 to put in my '70. I noticed that there were plenty of under $1000 big broncos with 351's in them (W and M, depending on year). I then started thinking about the power steering and brakes, DANA 44, front discs, AOD trannies in some years, etc. I thought it "might" be easier and (more importantly) cheaper to drop my '70 body on a later frame rather than trying to adapt stuff, and saw this post a few days later; I would appreciate any information on this that anyone has. The vehicle will end up being a daily driver, with some offroad use, nothing too radical.

OP
OP
B

Bronco_Rider

Loc.
Brentwood, Ca
Your thought process was the same as mine. Power steering, Disc brakes, High pinion, HD 205 transfer case, Quad shocks, larger fuel tank, front and rear sway bars, cheaper parts, ....

Bronco_Rider

Dave St

Loc.
Roanoke, VA
Sorry, I didn't mean to hijack your thread. I am gonna start a seperate thread on the frame issue to see if anyone else has any thoughts on this.

As far as the Chevy engine goes, they are much cheaper to build, and dollar for dollar produce more power. Please don't flame, I simply mean that aftermarket parts are cheaper. I guess I am not a purist though :)

cjjhalfcab

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Oologah, OK _
"As far as the Chevy engine goes, they are much cheaper to build, and dollar for dollar produce more power."

Don't mean to flame, but yes, the aftermarket parts are cheaper. But it amazes me how much time, money, and effort some will sink into a rigs' suspension, etc., only to skimp on the engine because it's "cheaper" or "easier to build". I've suffered through too many car shows where people put Chevy engines in old Fords. I figured at least a Bronco would be exempt. I guess not.

Dave St

Loc.
Roanoke, VA
I don't know that I would call it "skimping" on the engine. Aside from the notion of "a Ford truck should have a Ford engine", a chevy engine is every bit as reliable and tough as a ford engine. If you build a chevy and a ford (say a 351W and a 350) to arrive at the same degree of power and strength, the chevy will most likely be quite a bit cheaper to build. I am not bashing Ford by any means; both have their advantages and drawbacks.

rustybronco

Loc.
Illinois
[quote author=carnage351 link=board=5;threadid=15819;start=30#msg121115 date=1049377995]
. I think that we should turn the tables on this and start dropping small block Fords into everything including Chevys.

[/quote]

I remember a mid 70's corvette used to show up at Rocky Mountain raceway in Salt Lake City with Ford stickers on it. Coolest thing I ever saw!

Skuzzlebutt

PhD, Dr. of Broncology
Loc.
Honeymoon Bay
An sbc or a bbc is a great swap into any vehicle, providing that the vehicle has less than 4" ground clearance. dingle balls lining every window, and a mural airbrushed on the hood.

cjjhalfcab

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Oologah, OK _
[quote author=HNRYS69 link=board=5;threadid=15819;start=45#msg121399 date=1049435916]
If you want a chevy buy a chevy...
[/quote]

My sentiments exactly. They did make Blazers, you know.

OP
OP
B

Bronco_Rider

Loc.
Brentwood, Ca
[quote author=HNRYS69 link=board=5;threadid=15819;start=45#msg121399 date=1049435916]
If you want a chevy buy a chevy...
[/quote]

If you want a tough, go any where, reliable 4 wheel drive, it must be a Ford.

Learned that lesson, Owned a 74 Blazer.

If you want to irritate Ford owners, intall a Chevy engine in a Bronco.

The lesson I am learning.

Bronco_Rider

Dave St

Loc.
Roanoke, VA
Seems to be alot of diehard Ford fans/chevy haters here! Personally, I like them all, and I take pleasure in adapting/improvising/modifying the factory designs. Now if I could just get that Pontiac 455 Super Duty w/ the Muncie rockcrusher in my Bronco ;D

OP
OP
B

Bronco_Rider

Loc.
Brentwood, Ca
[quote author=Dave St link=board=5;threadid=15819;start=45#msg121745 date=1049507735]
Seems to be alot of diehard Ford fans/chevy haters here! Personally, I like them all, and I take pleasure in adapting/improvising/modifying the factory designs. Now if I could just get that Pontiac 455 Super Duty w/ the Muncie rockcrusher in my Bronco ;D
[/quote]

That 455 is a sweet motor. They don't make an adapter for a muncie street 4 speed but look at the Richmond 5 speed. That can be adapted to the dana 20 or the New Process 205.
I put that motor in a 2 wheel drive Jeepster and we were beating Chargers on the street.
Thanks for the smile

Bronco_Rider