• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Chevy engine in a Ford??????????

mattyq17

Bronco Guru
How about if your cousin is a mechanic, has a ton of chevy parts readily avialable(for free) and is willing to help you put them in your bronco? Not mine because it is all ford but it came like that. Other than that I dont see the reason to go through the hassle to fab chevy parts into the best vehicle ford ever made

defecater

Loc.
Osceola,IA
Irritates the hell out of me!!!
Chevy engines better???-NO
Cheaper?? yeah, but if thats your deciding factor, you shouldnt be into ANY kind of recreational automotive endeavours.
Because it's what you have??-BS!! sell it!!

mattyq17

Bronco Guru
good point if you want to go cheaper with chevy then you shouldnt be in this market. Ford stay ford, chevy stay chevy, jeep run it off a cliff!

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
I don't like it either.

It is on the same level as selling an absolutely beautiful EB to go and buy a heep.

Oh wait, did I just say that out loud? ;D ;D ;D :-X :-X :-X

gearida

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newburgh, IN
I'd ok a Cheb in a Heep, but never swap powerplants on a vehicle, that's what Dragsters are for. It would be like putting a Honda in a Harley!

NYLES

Bronco Guru
POTSHOT noted the only 1/2 way decent reason and that is the FACT that you can find any specialty part for a SBC if someone doesnt make the part you have in mind YOU DONT NEED IT! There are just tons and tons of aftermarket parts for a SBC compared to a SBF....SBF not even in the same ballpark as far as aftermarket parts go. Look at your options on aftermarket heads alone...for example!

Now! No aint no SBC,BBC belong in a BRONCO! Wanna play with a Chevy? Fine buy a Blazer to sit with your Bronco! But dont inbreed em!

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Nothing wrong with the Chevy small block engines..built plenty and run plenty myself. Nothing wrong with transplanting them in a lot of places either...the rock rig being built in our shop right now for a local fella is a '67 Scout 800..with a Chevy 305 stuck in it.

But..unless you already have a good 350 built and lying around and do not have - or cannot trade it for - a Ford 320 or 351W in equal condition, the hassles involved in the transplant seem otherwise to be not worth it.

The Chebby folks at the tracks hate our Camaro-bodied MX dirt racers..all Ford power inside both of 'em.;D

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I didn't start it this time!
But,
If you look at the SB Ford motor in a Bronco you will realize that it was adapted for use in the Bronco. Ford uses a front sump motor that had to have an extra long pick up tube to the oil pump because a front sump isn't a good idea on a 4X4. The SB Chevrolet actually fits nicely in the Bronco with a standard oil pan. For some reason people don't mind putting in Chevrolet brakes, tie rods, carbureters, alternators, transfer cases, but draw the line with the motor.

okorangebrnco

Bronco Guru
One day I will own a 55 chevy and it will have a Ford nine inch, an 03 Lightning Motor and Trans, and anything else FORD I can adapt to it, and it will also be at EVERY car show I can possibly take it to.

NYLES

Bronco Guru
What about all those DANA axles? You can even get one of those in a Jeep! OH MY!

Very good point!

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
What about all those DANA axles? You can even get one of those in a Jeep! OH MY!

Very good point!

I leave the front axles themselves out of the issue since IH, Ford, AMC, Chrysler, GM, all use pretty much the same differentials and housings. However, the brakes and steering are different. A testimony that the 44 is a quality piece!

Michael A

Loc.
San Diego
I couldn't understand it when Chip Foose put chebby motor in the Bronco he did for Overhaulin'. I shook my head and only had mild interest after that.
Why didn't the guys from JBG who helped with everything else talk him out of it ?

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I didn't start it this time!
But,
If you look at the SB Ford motor in a Bronco you will realize that it was adapted for use in the Bronco. Ford uses a front sump motor that had to have an extra long pick up tube to the oil pump because a front sump isn't a good idea on a 4X4. The SB Chevrolet actually fits nicely in the Bronco with a standard oil pan. For some reason people don't mind putting in Chevrolet brakes, tie rods, carbureters, alternators, transfer cases, but draw the line with the motor.

no but you are trying to stir it;D

Michael A

Loc.
San Diego
The yellow one that he tried to make look "stock" ? I could have sworn he did a SBC. Now, I will have to go look!

Michael A

Loc.
San Diego
fordguy, I just looked at the overhaulin' site and they have changed it so you can't even see the finished Bronco, much less what kind of motor. Rousch was listed in the sponsors, but so was Summit Racing, where the crate SBC could've come from. If I am wrong, I just have a case of CRS.

Znavgtr

Loc.
Nipomo, CA
Chevy motors in old Ford's are for cheap folks that don't want to spend the extra money to do a correct restoration or keep a vehicle true to it's origins.

My theory is that Chevy diehards started the whole bowtie vs. blue oval because deep down inside they know that Ford is better. So childish that they had to come up with "Found On Road Dead" and other acronyms to make themselves feel better. If you truly love something, then there is no reason to attack or ridicule someone else's ride.

I believe that Ford makes a better quality vehicle. Chevy has done some catching up in the last decade, but is still not on par.

I have no issues or problems with folks that prefer Chevy, hey it's their provocative. But don't go putting a Chevy motor in a Ford. :p