• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Chevy engine in a Ford??????????

horsewpt69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Industry, Pa
I couldn't understand it when Chip Foose put chebby motor in the Bronco he did for Overhaulin'. I shook my head and only had mild interest after that.
Why didn't the guys from JBG who helped with everything else talk him out of it ?

The Bronco on OVERHAULIN had a Rouch 327cid, 410hp mill. Check out issue 26 of Bronco Driver for that story, the pics in there tell all. The motor is NOT in there backwards, if you know what I mean. If I'm not mistaken, It even recieved a special tag on the cowl that designated it as serial no. 1 as it was the first motor of this kind. I personally have never seen Chip Foose do any crossbreading with motors, that's what I like about him.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Chevy motors in old Ford's are for cheap folks that don't want to spend the extra money to do a correct restoration or keep a vehicle true to it's origins.

My theory is that Chevy diehards started the whole bowtie vs. blue oval because deep down inside they know that Ford is better. So childish that they had to come up with "Found On Road Dead" and other acronyms to make themselves feel better. If you truly love something, then there is no reason to attack or ridicule someone else's ride.

I believe that Ford makes a better quality vehicle. Chevy has done some catching up in the last decade, but is still not on par.

I have no issues or problems with folks that prefer Chevy, hey it's their provocative. But don't go putting a Chevy motor in a Ford. :p

True restorations of Broncos are few and far between even on this site.

NYLES

Bronco Guru
Bronco resto's?

Bronco has about 3 features that make us love em and stock is not one of em"

#1 V-8
#2 kinda compact compared to the trucks in its day!
#3 true box frame
#4 its a simple running gear with seats!....doesnt get any body points
#5 EASY to modify!

Thats 5 of my reasons we love em and they just cool as.....

True resto on one? Hard enough finding some parts to keep em alive much less a true!

ET

Contributor
Bronco Guru
There just not any benefit in putting in a chevy motor. Cheap parts? Really.....

skeltic

Loc.
Vancouver Canada
Wow my poor rig ..... just not feeling the love.......
I just got my newest Bronco a 67 the only original bit is the frame and the firewall. It's got a ram jet 350, a 700r4 POS, it will have a nv4500 (bolts up real nice) and an atlas transfer case. At first the 350 turned me off but everything I want in this truck bolts up the same or better to this engine so really why not.
If I have to I will Pull the "F" of of F O R D and replace it with a G %) :cry:

deltarat

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Drew,Ms
I want to start by saying that I have had my bronco since '73 and I would not trade it for any Chevy or any other truck out there. But if my bronco was a daily driver, I would consider a modern 5.4 and a 700r4 to put in it. The reason is from my personal experience with Ford and Chevy. I have never seen a Ford that would get the gas mileage that I get from Chevys. Another reason is that I have never gotten close to the miles on a Ford engine with out trouble that I get from Chevy.
I have had Chevy with a 350 that was my farm truck, that towed 8-10,000 lbs almost daily, that I put 360k miles on and never added a quart of oil or turned a bolt on the engine. The one I drive now is over 300k and has never added oil or turned a bolt on, other than an air cond. compressor. I have just never gotten that kind of service from any ford I have owned. Usually at 100k I have to add oil and start to have trouble with it.
I know you guys have a 100 stories with the opposite results, but I can only go on my personal experience. With no more miles than I put on my bronco these days, I would probably not go to all the trouble to put a chevy engine in it. But if I drove it everyday and put 30-40,000 a year on it, I would seriously consider it.
I know this will stir the pot pretty good and I have zipped my flame suit. It is not to put down the ford purists and I understand your point to keep a Ford a Ford. It is just one man's opinion.

BG's 68 Bronco

Wow my poor rig ..... just not feeling the love.......
I just got my newest Bronco a 67 the only original bit is the frame and the firewall. It's got a ram jet 350, a 700r4 POS, it will have a nv4500 (bolts up real nice) and an atlas transfer case. At first the 350 turned me off but everything I want in this truck bolts up the same or better to this engine so really why not.
If I have to I will Pull the "F" of of F O R D and replace it with a G %) :cry:

Or you could switch places with the O and R to spell "FROD" (aka fraud for some people?!);D

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Cheby guy here at work keeps tryin to talk me into a LS1... which "agree" would be better on gas mileage...but just can't see doing it..

Now if one ever fell into my lap, could be a different story

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I just couldn't help pokin at that one! I agree but it shure is nice to dream of putting the motor from my Z into the Bronco. That would be one sweet ride!

csjr

Loc.
Lighthouse Point, FL
There's a guy on here with a mega-built rig (Bronconator I think?) with, if I recall correctly, a big block chevy in his machine. He had gobs of time and $$ into it, but he already had the engine so why buy another. I say if you want a resto or resto-mod then gotta stick with Ford. If you are building an all out trail rig that will only be trailered, then who cares. It's a totally custom rig anyway. When you look at the catalogues--Summit, Jegs, etc.--the same or better HP and Torque numbers come cheaper with a Chevy motor. I would still jab at anyone who would do it, but what's most important is that it runs and drives properly. These things are for fun--see how much fun we are having!

BroncoWyatt

I didn't start it this time!
But,
If you look at the SB Ford motor in a Bronco you will realize that it was adapted for use in the Bronco. Ford uses a front sump motor that had to have an extra long pick up tube to the oil pump because a front sump isn't a good idea on a 4X4. The SB Chevrolet actually fits nicely in the Bronco with a standard oil pan. For some reason people don't mind putting in Chevrolet brakes, tie rods, carbureters, alternators, transfer cases, but draw the line with the motor.

they also don't mind the GM trans, power steering, TBI EFI etc.But god, don't use a GM engine. Oh well, I did and could care less.

Steve

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grand Junction, CO
I don't understand wheelers putting down other wheelers because of the brand rig they drive. I will NEVER understand EB owners putting down other EB owners for what motor or anything else is in their rig. %)