• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Chevy engine in a Bronco

rustybronco

Loc.
Illinois
I agree, a small block Chevy always seemed like the easy way. Fab some mounts and there you go. I don't doubt it took some time and plent of work to get it done though. But consider it a bronco on steroids? After the money I've dumped into my 302, it's no pooch.

G

Sounds cool. I run a Chev 350 in a 72 Scout II. I love it. The hard core IH guys hated me, but I'm still driving, there not.

OP
OP
B

Bronco_Rider

Loc.
Brentwood, Ca
I agree, a small block Chevy always seemed like the easy way. Fab some mounts and there you go. I don't doubt it took some time and plent of work to get it done though. But consider it a bronco on steroids? After the money I've dumped into my 302, it's no pooch.

You are right, it was an easy way out. The built 460 I considered installing would have had over heating problems with the limited radiator area and an overdrive would have been very expensive. I wanted something I could run hard and keep cool so I selected the chevy engine which I saved from my Camaro. Considering fuel prices, the LT1 350 and the 700
r4 was a good choice.

Bronco_Rider

cjjhalfcab

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Oologah, OK _
[quote author=Bronco_Rider link=board=5;threadid=15819;start=0#msg119772 date=1049066383]
Picture it as a Bronco on sterolds.
[/quote]

Or with a sex change?

OP
OP
B

Bronco_Rider

Loc.
Brentwood, Ca
IMO, *frick* CHEVY!
aren't they all internal combustion push rod V8's ?

When you drive your Bronco, It doesn't matter what your bias is but when I see you at the Dunes or pass you on a trail, I will always be friendly and always be ready to assist if there is a need.

The Bronco bond is impossible to break.

Bronco_Rider

67ster

Bronco Guru
I too have considered the SBC route as I have a fresh 406 and a 700R4 but the 'ol 289 keeps hittin' on all 8 so I'll stay pure for awhile.

2badrotties

Just a Bronco guy !
Loc.
Niskayuna N.Y.
When you drive your Bronco, It doesn't matter what your bias is but when I see you at the Dunes or pass you on a trail, I will always be friendly and always be ready to assist if there is a need.

Bronco_Rider

That is the same way I feel about you. I'm always willing to help a chevy guy out. I was coming home from the drags one day in my F-350 diesel ( towing my 20 ft. trailer with Mustang on back ) and I saw that a friend of mine had broken down in the middle of a pretty big hill. Well, I hooked a chain onto the back of my trailer and towed his broken down Chevy Blazer that was towing a 18 ft. trailer with a blown up Malibu on it UP a hill and to the next town. Picture that ! It was a sight to see and I loved every minute of it.

I think that most of us here accept you as a Bronco guy and nothing more. If you want to have a Chevy engine thats fine with me. I just don't understand the part of your reply where you say " or pass you on a trail " because that just won't happen ;) ;D

OP
OP
B

Bronco_Rider

Loc.
Brentwood, Ca
I spend most of my time in the dunes and I have spent time in the mountains on 4 wheel drive roads and fire trails.
I was 30 miles off a paved road when I came upon a 4x4 that was stranded that had put a battery into the fan. The trail was rough but I was determined to tow him to the highway where he could get some assistance before dark. Many hours later, we were successful.
This is the mind set you have if you own a 4X4, especially a Ford Bronco
Hey guys, I own 4 four wheel drives, 2 are powered by 460's, 1 a 400, and the Bronco is powered by the Chevy,

Bronco_Rider

G

I have been pondering placing a EB body on a big frame. Did you have much difficulty shortening the frame and what is the difference in width? Any other pitfalls that I am perhaps not thinking of?

Thanks

76BroncoSport

Loc.
McKinney, Texas
[quote author=Bronco_Rider link=board=5;threadid=15819;start=15#msg120559 date=1049244693]When you drive your Bronco, It doesn't matter what your bias is but when I see you at the Dunes or pass you on a trail, I will always be friendly and always be ready to assist if there is a need.

Bronco_Rider
[/quote]

amen to that

OP
OP
B

Bronco_Rider

Loc.
Brentwood, Ca
EB body on a big frame.

I have been pondering placing a EB body on a big frame. Did you have much difficulty shortening the frame and what is the difference in width? Any other pitfalls that I am perhaps not thinking of?

Response
I have a metal fabrication shop and took auto body and frame classes in college so it was just a time issue. "Lots of time"

Just a few......
The wheel base was kept stock (removed 12" from a 78 Bronco frame) and the overall track increased 3" on each side. For the street I would run a 15 x 7" or 8" wheel with a 4.25" back set.
The frame section is 2" taller than the 66-77 Bronco frame which sets the body 2" higher from the bottom of the frame. "High pinion clearance" All frame mounts were fabricated to match the body mounting points. "very time consuming"
Frame horns were altered to match chrome OEM bumpers. Rear bumper was extended 3" to the rear to cover the spring hangers. ...Just a few

It was worth the effort!

Before you do it, e-mail me and I will share more of the details.

E-mail me and I will share some pictures

Bronco_Rider

KST1

Sounds like a cool project to me. See my comments on this http://classicbroncos.com/forums/index.php?board=5;action=display;threadid=15917;start=0thread for my opinion on stuff like this.

I spent my childhood riding around with my Dad in Willy's Wagons with Chevy drive trains, Dodge trucks on 1 ton Chevy gear, or whatever else we built, to make what we wanted, from what we had or could get. It's not what it is, it's what you do to it.

Make sure you post some pictures when you get'er done. Or even before if you like.

-D

yellowbilly

Loc.
Auburn, WA
Gotta have pics. I too pondered putting a SB Chevy into my EB. They are much cheaper to build good HP with. I have a '56 F-100 with a NO2 injected chevy 400...pretty damn fun. After pondering I decided to stick with ford. I figure my 11.5:1 408 on NO2 will pretty much dominate most Chevy powered rigs out there.

Sounds like a cool rig man.

67ster

Bronco Guru
I ran into a guy that was putting a HEMI in an early Dodge power wagon 3/4 ton pickup . With all the weight he was packing , a hemi was the best choice for him .

cjjhalfcab

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Oologah, OK _
Sad to see the site deteriorating. Any time Ford guys start patting guys on the back for dropping Chevy engines in Fords the end must be near.