• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Clutch Issues - "Pop" when pressing clutch

OldIron1912

Hi All,

Hoping to fix an issue that came up this weekend with my '70. It just started "popping" at about 1/4 of the travel of the clutch pedal. With someone else pressing the pedal while I was under, it seems to be coming from the clutch fork area. The clutch fork seems loose and if I put slight pressure (one finger) up it stops. I also removed the rubber gasket and I can see that there is a slight shift in the clutch fork as if its popping into place when the noise occurs. Other than being annoying, it doesn't look like it causes any other issues. No clicking while in gear, shifting is still smooth, etc.. Any ideas what I've got going on here or what I can do to take up some of the slop in the the clutch fork?

Thanks in advance!

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
How long has it been since you looked at the the ball, and the pocket on the fork where it pivots against the ball? Did you grease it? The fork will certainly jump when the linkage pops, but that doesn't mean it's originating there. Check all the pivot points in the linkage.

OP
OP
O

OldIron1912

How long has it been since you looked at the the ball, and the pocket on the fork where it pivots against the ball? Did you grease it? The fork will certainly jump when the linkage pops, but that doesn't mean it's originating there. Check all the pivot points in the linkage.

All the linkage seems smooth. It seems like the fork has quite a bit of play and its snapping back into place once pressure is applied. Would there be any adjustment between the linkage and the fork that could be made to tighten things up? (I can't remember off hand and won't be able to get back at it for another day or so.)

I'll also try greasing the ball up and see where that gets me.

Thanks!