• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Clutch slipping question??

Blue71

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Got the '68 going pretty good, but like in 3rd gear at lower RPM's when you step on the gas pretty good...the clutch slips and it revs up a bit. Now,..my clutch in this thing lets out at the very, I mean very top. Can I possible adjust the linkage to where the pedal lets out about half way up and solve this problem. Or is it "new clutch time". I am broke so I hope this will work. Any input is appreciated.

Thanks Much,

Blue71

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
if it's releasing at the very top, it may not be engaging fully. try an adjust it first, it's a lot cheaper than a new clutch and a lot easier. how long has it been doing this?

unclebap

Loc.
High Desert, ca
Had a belly full of that problem, couldnt back out of a store on an incline with out shaking the sucker, did the clutch stuff,should have gone for the best, but Im cheap!
end of problem (I hope) going to a C4

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
;D ;D ;D You should have 1 to 1 1/2" of free play at the cluch if you dont then you have a problem and it can cause the cluch to slip. Easy fix also if it seams like the cluch gets soft look at the shift arm they do crack and cause problems good luck. :p :p :p Bill :cool: %) :p

hucktruck

Loc.
Missouri
If your clutch is going out you might be able to adjust it and drive it for a while but sooner or later it's gonna go. I drove mine like that for over a year and then I took it to MO mudfest in May and it went out completely and had to tow it home. I wish I had replaced it sooner now. Hindsight is 20/20, right? %)

brian72

Early Bronco Student
can you buy LUK clutch kits generally locally? Does NAPA carry them?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Crawl under the truck. There is an adjuster on the linkage going to the clutch fork. Loosen the lock nut and shorten it a couple of turns. This is a simple adjustment. If this fails, then look at a new clutch. You will have to adjust the linkage again with a new clutch so go ahead and pratice with the old one. Might save you some money and the old clutch might last a bit longer, possibly several more years.

12 years ago I had a '71 that had the rod under the dash so worn that the pedal didn't have enough travel. Patched it with a piece of cable that was shorter then the rod and I could then adjust the clutch.

OP
OP
Blue71

Blue71

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yep. I am planning on adjusting the rod, but wanted a few opinions while I wait for the evening 15 degree weather to go away. To cold to fool with right now so i am sycking myself up for a warm day. Thanks all.

Blue71